CALLING ALL HENNA USERS RELAXED N NATURAL

Hyacinthe

Hey Ladies I could sure use some advice.
I have been doing a little research on henna,can you guys give me some fresh perspective on what you use to mix your henna. I heard some people even mix it with beer.
Also for my relaxed ladies, how often do you henna and do anyone of you use Nupur henna with good results?
Do you henna before or after a relaxer?
I was looking through past threads and a few of the older members of LHCF would henna right after a relaxer with fab results.
sooooo how do you guys henna?
All the advises,tips and tricks would be highly appreciated.
Thanks.

MyAngelEyez~C~U

Mix with hibiscus tea whenever possible to bring out more red tones or apple cider vinegar and water to get a good dye release, and I sometimes add clove oil for dye release and scent.

ETA I henna for color, I'm naturally blonde.

Last edited:

felic1

Hyacinthe Hey Girlie! I have used Napur henna for about a year. It took me a while to start using henna because I was scared. I was using Jamila because I found it on Amazon and I was busy and could not drive around to find a shop. A lot of more experienced users bought theirs from Hennasooq and other suppliers. There are a lot of henna recommendations on other threads. I use Indigo as well. I did buy it from Amazon as well.
Henna requires some experimentation. You have to find out what works for you. I think I used water to reconstitute, green tea, the last time I used it I used a cranberry and hibiscus herbal tea. I am natural so I can not speak on relaxer usage. HTH.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I have been using henna (and indigo) for years. I only use warm, filtered water and a splash of Amla or Olive Oil. I apply henna to clean, conditioned, damp hair.

If you keep it simple, you minimize or even eliminate dryness and breakage and that's based on my experience. A lot of ladies like to make elaborate mixes, but I don't and I've never had a problem.

I'm currently relaxed, but have been transitioning to natural for 9 months today. :yep:

kandiekj100

I'm very simple when it comes to my henna. I simply mix with hot (almost boiling) water. I let sit for a few hours up to a day prior to application. The last couple times I've relaxed, I hennaed maybe 2-3 weeks later. I just hennaed this past weekend and I won't be getting a touch-up until the end of the month, so I 'm not sure if I'll do another henna treatment afterwards, since I usually don't do them very often. Out of sheer laziness, I don't really apply more then 3-4 times a year. I've been using Reshma lately, which I like. It doesn't seem to be as drying as say Jamila. I don't think I have any experience with Napur.

deedoswell

Hyacinthe - I've only used henna twice but each time have had great results. I used Mehandi.com henna/indigo. I have several stubborn grays and this mix gave me black hair with auburn highlights (which of course were the grays). I just used water and a small amount of ACV and then deep condition hair. I'm natural and not a henna expert but this is what works for me.

mshoneyfly

I just used Henna for the first time on monday. Mine is organic from hennasooq.com. I used abt 50 grams mixed with boiling water. Then I added abt a cup of my fav moisturizing condish and let it sit for 4 hours. I got good color in front and excellent conditioning, shine, strength, softness all over. I didnt separate the back too well so the color is not as good there. But I love my hair. I will do ayurvedic powder glosses every other week. I stretch my relaxers but cant wait to try the sukesh powder again after my next relaxer

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Fhrizzball

I use Rajasthani henna and I mix my henna with Hibiscus powder for dye release as it is acidic yet moisturizing and intensifies the red tone. Then I have the water to bring it to the right consistency. With the poweder I don't need to use near the recommended amount of henna for my hair length. I let my henna sit for at least overnight as I prefer to do it during the day time. I use a heated cap for my henna and from what I learned a good rule of thumb is that for every 30 minutes you use heat with your henna, you cut down the recommended processing time by half.

lana

I plan to henna for the first time this weekend. I purchased organic henna (cassia and indigo blend) from a local health food store. It says that it will henna your hair black. I have a few gray strands and that is the only reason I'm using henna. I want to naturally cover my grays. I'm too young for gray hair! I will probably only apply it on the area that has gray.

Hyacinthe

lana said:
I plan to henna for the first time this weekend. I purchased organic henna (cassia and indigo blend) from a local health food store. It says that it will henna your hair black. I have a few gray strands and that is the only reason I'm using henna. I want to naturally cover my grays. I'm too young for gray hair! I will probably only apply it on the area that has gray.

Thats a good idea I should check with my local health food store,see if they carry henna

sent from IPad using LHCF app. POW!

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day
I just used Henna for the first time on monday. Mine is organic from hennasooq.com. I used abt 50 grams mixed with boiling water. Then I added abt a cup of my fav moisturizing condish and let it sit for 4 hours. I got good color in front and excellent conditioning, shine, strength, softness all over. I didnt separate the back too well so the color is not as good there. But I love my hair. I will do ayurvedic powder glosses every other week. I stretch my relaxers but cant wait to try the sukesh powder again after my next relaxer

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Congrats mshoneyfly on your first henna. I just wanted to share that in most of my research, I read that boiling water "cooks" your mix and that's not desirable. You'll get the same release using cool or warm water.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Relaxed Here.

I usually wait 2 weeks after my T/U. I use Body Art Quality Henna for African American & Chemically Treated Hair from Mehandi.com

Apply to freshly cowashed Hair. I also rinse 1st with water, then a ton of conditioner and then Steam with a Moisturizing DC'er.

I usually use ACV for Dye Release, let it sit overnight. I add a squirt of Oil & stir right before applying.

Last edited:

ChocoKitty

I'm natural. I mix 3 boxes of Jamila with 16 oz of room temperature distilled water + a pinch or two of citric acid. I stick it in the freezer overnight and then let it thaw the next morning. The consistency comes creamy but sticky. I let it sit on my head a minimum of two hours with heat or overnight. I conditioner wash with Tresseme Moisture Rich Conditioner then follow up with Wen 613.

Ann0804

I mix my henna with lemon juice until its like a pudding consistency then let it sit overnight. I apply it the next day on dry, unwashed hair. I let it sit on my hair for about four hours then co wash it out with a moisturizing conditioner. Then I apply indigo immediately after and let it sit on my hair until its midnight/jet black- about 4 hours or longer.

msbettyboop

I use mehandi henna and indigo. I use only lime to mix the henna and it works just great. I henna first then indigo. Gives me a fabulous blue black color which lasts a long time. The process takes a really long time though so when I'm feeling lazy I do a 50/50 mix of henna and indigo instead of henna first.

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
Hi ladies, I did my first Henna today with Colora Henna powder in mahogany. I LOVED the way my hair felt after: conditioned, soft and healthy. I HATED all of the bits of Henna left behind, how do you ladies combat this? Or did i not mix it well enough? I put it in my conditioner mix of avocado, yogurt, honey and EVOO.

I'm thinking that was a bad idea, it took me an hour to pick all of the bits out of my hair, luckily I didn't really lose that much hair, but what can I do to make sure that does NOT happen again?!?! Thanks!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Hi ladies, I did my first Henna today with Colora Henna powder in mahogany. I LOVED the way my hair felt after: conditioned, soft and healthy. I HATED all of the bits of Henna left behind, how do you ladies combat this? Or did i not mix it well enough? I put it in my conditioner mix of avocado, yogurt, honey and EVOO.

I'm thinking that was a bad idea, it took me an hour to pick all of the bits out of my hair, luckily I didn't really lose that much hair, but what can I do to make sure that does NOT happen again?!?! Thanks!

itsjusthair88

This doesn't sound like pure Henna but some form of Powdered Color? I'm not sure actually what you have.

Henna should be mixed to a Yogurt like consistency.

But I would Rinse with lots of water, then use a Cheapie Conditioner to continue to Rinse it Out.

january noir

Sunny On a Cloudy Day

itsjusthair88
I fill my bathtub and lay back in the water. Swish your hair around a bit and all the henna will rinse from the hair beautifully. It's a trick I read about years ago and it works (at least for me it works).

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
itsjusthair88

Just rinse a few times with a nice conditioner- that helps me remove all of the henna out.

Ann0804 I did that, I rinsed for a while with Suave moisture condish and it was still in there! I was like :ohwell:

itsjusthair88

This doesn't sound like pure Henna but some form of Powdered Color? I'm not sure actually what you have.

Henna should be mixed to a Yogurt like consistency.

But I would Rinse with lots of water, then use a Cheapie Conditioner to continue to Rinse it Out.

The box said Henna and it looked like Henna, but wasn't body grade, it was just for hair, so IDK but I didn't mix it to that consistency, so that probably didn't help IDareT'sHair

itsjusthair88
I fill my bathtub and lay back in the water. Swish your hair around a bit and all the henna will rinse from the hair beautifully. It's a trick I read about years ago and it works (at least for me it works).

Thank you january noir that is a good idea, I'll that try that next time.

On the bright side, my hair never felt so soft and conditioned, so I want to do it again...the color wasn't very good, but I didn't let it sit very long and I don't think I used any "color releasing" additives and I didn't let it sit in my hair very long. SO next time, I will do it way differently. Thanks for all of the advice ladies!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
@itsjusthair88

Well...You are on your way to becoming a True Henna-Head.:grin:

Hopefully your application will get better & better and you continue to love the results.

Keep your Moisture intact because Henna can be quite 'drying'.:yep:

Last edited:

Natty_Virgo

I need to order some henna so bad. When I do it I only mix it with canned coconut milk and it leaves my hair so soft.

itsjusthair88

Chronically at BSL -_-
@itsjusthair88

Well...You are on your way to becoming a True Henna-Head.:grin:

Hopefully your application will get better & better and you continue to love the results.

Keep your Mpoisture intact because Henna can be quite 'drying'.:yep:

REALLY!!?!??!!? IDareT'sHair I thought it was moisturizing? Now I know I didn't have the "real stuff" because the box I got said "conditioning" and "moisturizing" and my hair felt amazing after I rinsed it out (better than it's felt in months)

What does this mean? I loved the way my hair felt, so IDK what the the deal is? I'm nervous lol

Hyacinthe

Cali2tx said:
I need to order some henna so bad. When I do it I only mix it with canned coconut milk and it leaves my hair so soft.

I'm gonna try it with coconut milk.
Where do our order your henna from?

Natty_Virgo

I'm gonna try it with coconut milk.
Where do our order your henna from?

Hyacinthe that's the problem, I use to order it from AyurNatural Beauty but she is out of business so I have been stuck on where I want to order from.

I saw on this site that there are some local places I can pick it up so I plan to search for it sometime this week.

Wenbev

Natural curls here! I have been using henna for two years religiously. My mix is henna (jamila or nupur 9) and warm water or strong black tea. I usually mix it an hour before I apply. I like it to let it sit covered in a plastic so it gets out all the lumps and the consistency is like pudding. I add a couple drops of whichever essential oil I'm feeling and a big squirt of honey. I usually do an hour with heat in my cap while I watch a movie and the next couple hours with a hat or scarf on while I do housework.
When it's time to rinse, I've tried several methods, soaking hair in the tub, using cheapie conditioner, oil etc. I've found the best way is just rinsing under running water. After I rinse the bulk of it out, then I use the cheapie condish. I dc with a protein free dc, rinse and style.

gn1g

no one said add coco!

I mix my henna with warm orange tea, coco and honey gives me a beautiful chestnut brown color. I rinse it out with plain water followed by hello hydration.

z3000zee

I mix my henna with just enough orange juice to release the dye so it is sometimes lumpy. The next morning I add Amla and Shikaki powders and tea or water. I mix until it is a yogurt consistency. In separate bowl I mix the Indigo with tea or water once it has a yogurt consistency then I mix the two together. Tea typically includes horsetail, nettle.