Camille Rose Naturals Users I Have Some Questions

DST1913

I have recently become all natural and am no longer transitioning. During my 2yr transition I became a product junkie but continually went back to CRN. I found this works the best for me. In an effort to no longer be a PJ I decided that I am going to use 1 product line for all of my needs. I religiously used the ginger shampoo while transitioning but was not familiar with the other products until recently. Can you ladies help me to decipher what some of these products do or how you use them? Some seem to be exactly the same. and are there any missing that you recommend?

Ginger Cleansing Rinse - Been using the past 2 years is a staple shampoo
Curl Maker - Recently started using and I LOVE. Have mostly been wearing wash and go's and it makes my curls pop
Almond Jai - Tried on twist outs while transitioning. Worked wonderfully once but then never had the same results. Verdict is out on using this again.
Moisture Milk - Purchased a few days ago and use under the curl maker for moisture. Like it so far
Aloe Whipped Butter Gel- Purchased but not sure what it's for or what to use it for. Been using it to slick my pony but doesn't have hold. seems similar to the curlaide
Curlaide - Seems to be the exact same thing as the Almond Jai and butter gel not sure what it's for
Clean Rinse - Ordered on line will use this for clarifying. Was previously using kinky curly come clean
Conditioning Cleanser - Started co washing and wanted to use this. Just ordered online

DST1913

Hi! Which ones are you asking about and which ones are you giving reviews on?
I gave a synopsis above but I think if I had to shorten my ask it would be how do each of you use these products. And what is the difference between the whipped gel the curlaide aide and the curl maker

Alma Petra

I have never really been a good product reviewer but here is what I think of some of the products:

Almond Jai Butter is much more moisturizing and softening on my hair than the Curlaide Moisture Butter. I use it to braid my hair and keep it moisturized. Both of them don't have curl defining properties to allow them to be used for WnGs on curls that are frizz prone. I haven't used them for twist outs or braid outs but to be honest I haven't noticed them providing any hold.

Curl Maker is a gel and has real curl defining and holding properties. I did not like it because I found that its cast is hard to completely SOTC and leaves the curls a bit rough, unlike gels with stronger defining and holding properties such as Wetline or KCCC which SOTC out completely soft and bouncy.

I love the Moisture Milk. I find it to be truly moisturizing and non-greasy. It's not as slippery as say CJ Smoothing Lotion but it's much more moisturizing and smells yummy. It's probably my favourite leave-in conditioner.

Another product that I like from this collection is the Caramel Cowash. It defines my curls in a magical way, similar to rhassoul clay. But it's a bit stripping. If you don't find the Sweet Ginger Rinse to be stripping then you'll probably like the Caramel Cowash a lot. I haven't tried the Ginger Rinse myself but many ladies on LHCF have complained about it being stripping. In general cowashes and conditioning cleansers are formulated to be gentler on the hair than shampoos like the Ginger Rinse. Another CRN cowash that I saw people rave about on the internet is the Creme Restore conditioning cleanser. I see that you have ordered it. Plz give us feedback. I'm very tempted to try it. I see that it doesn't contain any cleansing agent in its ingredients which is both tempting and worrisome.

I have not tried the Aloe Whipped Butter Gel but I think it's supposed to be like a gel creme or a curling creme i.e. it should provide hold and definition without having a strong dry cast like a real gel. Gels are known to dry hard and need to be SOTCed. The creamy or buttery gels should dry soft and hydrated with maybe a slight cast. Typically this means they are a good WnG option for looser silkier curl patterns. The only cream gel that gave me a defined WnG was the Design Essentials Creme Gel. It was amazing and with it I could use CRN Caramel Cowash as a leave in to make use of its insane defining properties. This I can't do now because the Caramel Cowash flakes up with my gels.

Other products that I have tried and liked are the Algae Renew DC and the Cocoa Nibs Serum. But I will need to use them more times to come up with a good review.

DST1913

I have never really been a good product reviewer but here is what I think of some of the products:

Almond Jai Butter is much more moisturizing and softening on my hair than the Curlaide Moisture Butter. I use it to braid my hair and keep it moisturized. Both of them don't have curl defining properties to allow them to be used for WnGs on curls that are frizz prone. I haven't used them for twist outs or braid outs but to be honest I haven't noticed them providing any hold.

Curl Maker is a gel and has real curl defining and holding properties. I did not like it because I found that its cast is hard to completely SOTC and leaves the curls a bit rough, unlike gels with stronger defining and holding properties such as Wetline or KCCC which SOTC out completely soft and bouncy.

I love the Moisture Milk. I find it to be truly moisturizing and non-greasy. It's not as slippery as say CJ Smoothing Lotion but it's much more moisturizing and smells yummy. It's probably my favourite leave-in conditioner.

Another product that I like from this collection is the Caramel Cowash. It defines my curls in a magical way, similar to rhassoul clay. But it's a bit stripping. If you don't find the Sweet Ginger Rinse to be stripping then you'll probably like the Caramel Cowash a lot. I haven't tried the Ginger Rinse myself but many ladies on LHCF have complained about it being stripping. In general cowashes and conditioning cleansers are formulated to be gentler on the hair than shampoos like the Ginger Rinse. Another CRN cowash that I saw people rave about on the internet is the Creme Restore conditioning cleanser. I see that you have ordered it. Plz give us feedback. I'm very tempted to try it. I see that it doesn't contain any cleansing agent in its ingredients which is both tempting and worrisome.

I have not tried the Aloe Whipped Butter Gel but I think it's supposed to be like a gel creme or a curling creme i.e. it should provide hold and definition without having a strong dry cast like a real gel. Gels are known to dry hard and need to be SOTCed. The creamy or buttery gels should dry soft and hydrated with maybe a slight cast. Typically this means they are a good WnG option for looser silkier curl patterns. The only cream gel that gave me a defined WnG was the Design Essentials Creme Gel. It was amazing and with it I could use CRN Caramel Cowash as a leave in to make use of its insane defining properties. This I can't do now because the Caramel Cowash flakes up with my gels.

Other products that I have tried and liked are the Algae Renew DC and the Cocoa Nibs Serum. But I will need to use them more times to come up with a good review.
Thanks SO much for your response. It's really helpd. What is SOTC? I dont know that one. I have not seen a caramel co wash from CRN on their site. I will def give a review of the other one. Right now I'm using tressamme botanicals and its great at detangling but I'm new to cowashing so not sure if it works well for that. I will need to compare. I plan on getting the algae DC after I use up all my APB blueberry cheesecake DC.

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
Thanks SO much for your response. It's really helpd. What is SOTC? I dont know that one. I have not seen a caramel co wash from CRN on their site. I will def give a review of the other one. Right now I'm using tressamme botanicals and its great at detangling but I'm new to cowashing so not sure if it works well for that. I will need to compare. I plan on getting the algae DC after I use up all my APB blueberry cheesecake DC.
Sotc = scrunch out the chrunch.

Alma Petra

Thank you! I will be eager to read your review on the Creme Restore and the Algae Renew.
I do not use the Caramel Cowash as an actual cowash because I find it a bit stripping. I am more into using it as a leave-in or a curl-defining agent. But then my hair is naturally dry and very sensitive to anything stripping. I rarely shampoo. I use Herbal Essences Bee Strong conditioner as my main washing agent and my hair loves it. I even oil rinse before using it so you can imagine what my hair is like :laugh: That's why I am interested in the Creme Restore, hoping that it will be both cleansing and moisturizing.
MAD curls said great things about it in this video
As @Coilystep has said SOTC is scrunching out the crunch. This means compressing your hair with your hands to break the gel cast. Classically it's done vertically from below to above like the motion you do when you want to apply the Squish to Condish technique or when you are pixie diffusing. But I find that this makes my curls frizzy so I either compress it horizontally or twist a big chuck of hair around its axis.
It breaks the gel cast, makes the hair soft to the touch and bouncy and gives it more volume.

Here is a photo of my hair with dry gel cast on it, which typically makes the hair stringy and hard:

WIN_20160401_15_17_48_Pro.jpg

And hair after SOTCing:

WIN_20160402_17_37_40_Pro.jpg

These photos were before I started transitioning from texlaxed, big chopped a part of my hair and lost most of the rest to hair thinning and breakage :laugh:

DST1913

Thank you! I will be eager to read your review on the Creme Restore and the Algae Renew.
I do not use the Caramel Cowash as an actual cowash because I find it a bit stripping. I am more into using it as a leave-in or a curl-defining agent. But then my hair is naturally dry and very sensitive to anything stripping. I rarely shampoo. I use Herbal Essences Bee Strong conditioner as my main washing agent and my hair loves it. I even oil rinse before using it so you can imagine what my hair is like :laugh: That's why I am interested in the Creme Restore, hoping that it will be both cleansing and moisturizing.
MAD curls said great things about it in this video
As @Coilystep has said SOTC is scrunching out the crunch. This means compressing your hair with your hands to break the gel cast. Classically it's done vertically from below to above like the motion you do when you want to apply the Squish to Condish technique or when you are pixie diffusing. But I find that this makes my curls frizzy so I either compress it horizontally or twist a big chuck of hair around its axis.
It breaks the gel cast, makes the hair soft to the touch and bouncy and gives it more volume.

Here is a photo of my hair with dry gel cast on it, which typically makes the hair stringy and hard:

View attachment 423707

And hair after SOTCing:

View attachment 423715

These photos were before I started transitioning from texlaxed, big chopped a part of my hair and lost most of the rest to hair thinning and breakage :laugh:
Thanks. I love your curls! I don't have problems with drying. If I did an oil rinse my hair would look like a cat licked it. But I have fine 4C soft hair.

My mom has type 2/3A and asked me about curl maker. I'm thinking this won't be the right consistency for her.

Alma Petra

Thanks. I love your curls! I don't have problems with drying. If I did an oil rinse my hair would look like a cat licked it. But I have fine 4C soft hair.

My mom has type 2/3A and asked me about curl maker. I'm thinking this won't be the right consistency for her.
Thanks! You guys are blessed. My fantasy is to experience moisture overload one day before I die lol

You never know. Maybe her hair will love it. It's not a heavy gel like Wetline for example so there is less chance that it could elongate her curls out. The looser curl types have the luxury of being able to use both curling creams and real gels. Also if her hair is as soft and hydrated as yours she will probably not find that it leaves her hair dryish and rough like it leaves mine. I'd say she should definitely give it a try. So many curlies rave about it. Using a leave-in and a dab of oil under a gel in my opinion makes it a very safe product to experiment with.

Alma Petra

I'm amazed that anyone gets a cast from Curl Maker. I get so very little hold from that gel. I do get moisture from it, though. :yep: I guess everyone's head is so different. :smile:
I know, it's amazing how people react so differently to these products. But one thing I have noticed is that hold is not proportionate to how strong the cast is or how dry the gel makes your hair feel. Some gels have casts but don't have much of a hold. Others make my hair dry and rough but also frizzy after a short while.
Other factors that affect the way our hair reacts is whether it's' natural or relaxed/texlaxed and what climate we live in. When I was in Africa, I used to prefer Ecostyer to Wetline. When I moved to Europe my hair immediately started preferring Wetline to Ecotyler.

Alma Petra

The mane choice biotin gel and the mane choice 3 in 1 conditioner are my absolute favorite right now. Followed by mielle organics and kinky curly.
Can you show us photos that compare your results with this combo to the CRN combo? Or describe what you love most about the TMC combo?

DST1913

Thanks! You guys are blessed. My fantasy is to experience moisture overload one day before I die lol

You never know. Maybe her hair will love it. It's not a heavy gel like Wetline for example so there is less chance that it could elongate her curls out. The looser curl types have the luxury of being able to use both curling creams and real gels. Also if her hair is as soft and hydrated as yours she will probably not find that it leaves her hair dryish and rough like it leaves mine. I'd say she should definitely give it a try. So many curlies rave about it. Using a leave-in and a dab of oil under a gel in my opinion makes it a very safe product to experiment with.
So I found that I got a light crunch with curl maker but then I used the moisture milk first and that eliminated it completely. I will let my mom use some of mine. I don't want her to spend the money and it not work.

Off topic but I think wng's are going to be my staple style. I thought that wetting your hair everyday was bad for your hair but I've been doing cowashes and wearing it wet and I found that I have lost like no hair at all and I used to shed especially on wash day but now I barely have any hair coming out at all. I think this may be what my hair needed frequent cold washes it stays moisturized too.

Alma Petra

So I found that I got a light crunch with curl maker but then I used the moisture milk first and that eliminated it completely. I will let my mom use some of mine. I don't want her to spend the money and it not work.

Off topic but I think wng's are going to be my staple style. I thought that wetting your hair everyday was bad for your hair but I've been doing cowashes and wearing it wet and I found that I have lost like no hair at all and I used to shed especially on wash day but now I barely have any hair coming out at all. I think this may be what my hair needed frequent cold washes it stays moisturized too.

It depends on whether your hair is strong enough to handle the manipulation. I used to wash very frequently in the past and wear mainly wash and gos and my hair grew and retained really well

1 year growth.jpg

DST1913

It depends on whether your hair is strong enough to handle the manipulation. I used to wash very frequently in the past and wear mainly wash and gos and my hair grew and retained really well

View attachment 423723
Yes that's what I'm thinking. I'm so prone to hair breakage but worth this method there is none so this may help me retain. I only use co wash and finger detangle. Then do regular wash once a week. I tried clay for the first time last week but didn't see the hype. my hair looked and felt exactly the same as it always had

Alma Petra

Your curls look beautiful! What is your hair type? 3C/4A?

Thanks dear! I think I'm 4a? In my photos above my hair is texlaxed.

You can see my real texture in my twa below:

twa.jpeg

Yes that's what I'm thinking. I'm so prone to hair breakage but worth this method there is none so this may help me retain. I only use co wash and finger detangle. Then do regular wash once a week. I tried clay for the first time last week but didn't see the hype. my hair looked and felt exactly the same as it always had
Congratulations on finding the correct method to help you retain your growth! That's 50% of the journey!

What did you hope to achieve with clay? I get definition from my rhassoul clay mix.

DST1913

Thanks dear! I think I'm 4a? In my photos above my hair is texlaxed.

You can see my real texture in my twa below:

View attachment 423725

Congratulations on finding the correct method to help you retain your growth! That's 50% of the journey!

What did you hope to achieve with clay? I get definition from my rhassoul clay mix.
You know. I don't know what the heck I expected to achieve by using the clay. LOL I just see so many people talking about it I figured that it would do something for me and I would know when I saw it. Just like with aloe vera juice. So many talk about it but I see no difference in my hair at all. no clue what this stuff is supposed to do but everyone swears by it.