Can a High Protein Diet Affect Hair Progress??

Hairsnob

Deep Thinker
I just started the Atkins diet to lose a couple of pounds quick and I'm wondering if this could cause a hair setback. I know crash diets aren't good but I only want to lose about 8-10 pounds and I know I can do that with Atkins and exercise in about two weeks (I got lazy and have an event coming up and I want to look fly). :grin:

But.... of course with lower carbs I'll be eating MUCH more protein in my diet. I did Atkins years ago for a few months but that was before I was concerned about my hair so I can't remember how it affected my hair. I do remember having healthy hair around that time but I also remember it breaking off either during or after the diet but I'm not sure because I attributed that to overuse of my new flat-iron and them discontinuing my Pantene heat protector spray :look:.

After reading about the side-effects of consuming too much protein and one of them being hair loss, I'm wondering if I should be concerned. Are there any moisturizing foods I can eat to balance the protein?:lachen: Just kidding. Seriously though, anybody do Atkins or thinking of doing it? If so, any side effects on your hair? I'm not risking my hair progress just for a couple of pounds. Worst case scenario I could just lose maybe 4 pounds from excercise alone (yeah right!!) :blush:

TIA

My hair thrived on the protein and extra fat. Just keep your veggie intake up, you should be fine. There's nothing in refined carbs that benefit hair.

Also, visit sugarfreesheila.com.

Anytime my protien intake goes up, my hair grows slightly faster, as do my nails, and they both seem a little stronger.

I do, however, make doubly sure that I stay on top of my multivitamins, as a lot of the processed carbs have been 'enriched' - and if you aren't replacing those minerals/nutrients with either whole foods or supplements, I wouldn't be surprised if your overall health suffered.

I lost 80+ lb (70 of that within 10 months) on Atkins in 2003. I have kept it off. My hair did thin but I also attributed that to having most of my thyroid removed.

Losing 8 to 10 lb on Atkins should not be cause for concern with your hair. You need the fat and protein and good low glycemic carbs. Bodies do NOT thrive on refined carbs. Eat enough calories daily (MINIMUM 1200 IMO).

In addition to checking out SugarFreeSheila.com (Sheila is a buddy of mine), check out www.lowcarbfriends.com. I don't post there anymore but I did for 5 1/2 years. I quit because I got tired of talking about food all the time. So I shifted my focus to talking about hair all the time. Excellent site.

I agree with the others. If anything a protein diet will help your hair. I lost 30 pounds on a low carb diet and my hair and nails thrived.

Drastic weight loss can induce hair loss. But 8-10lb isn't drastic. Also eating too few calories will make you lose hair. Sufficient calories, protein, good fat (including saturated), plain water, and good carbs are critical. :)

You ladies rock! Thanks for all the good info. I'm glad someone reminded me of eating too few calories causing hair loss because I have to be mindful of that too. Yay protein!!! :grin:

Thanks much!!

Good advice given. I upped my protein intake and my hair has grown like weeds. Just wanted to say, my hair has not suffered as a result.

Best wishes on your diet goals.

I know of a few Atkins dieters with hair setbacks along the way. Some people lost weight too quickly, which can result in excess shedding. Stick to healthy fats and lots of good veggies and you should fair well. The protein is not a detriment, rather the lack of complex carbs, associated nutrients and crash dieting.

Back