Can Daily Conditioner Washes Be Damaging...

Discussion in 'Hair Care Tips & Product Review Discussion' started by JenJen2721, Jan 16, 2004.

  1. JenJen2721

    JenJen2721 New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Messages:
    5,645
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    If you have hard water? Would the cons outweigh the pros?
     
  2. Nyambura

    Nyambura surfer girl

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2002
    Messages:
    2,829
    Likes Received:
    5
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Good question, Jen. I have hard water. I try to always do at least a final rinse with distilled water but it's not always an option. My hair has continued to thrive anyway.
     
  3. Ayeshia

    Ayeshia New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 10, 2003
    Messages:
    10,642
    Likes Received:
    30
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Western New York
    Besides the hard water, I would suppose for relaxed hair if you munipulate it too much it would be damaging since the hair is wet, i dont know about the adverse effects on natural hair though.
     
  4. JenJen2721

    JenJen2721 New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Messages:
    5,645
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    Thanks guys....

    bumping for more responses...any other thoughts???
     
  5. Trinity1

    Trinity1 New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2003
    Messages:
    926
    Likes Received:
    21
    Trophy Points:
    0
    I used to do the daily washes but even though my hair got incredibly thicker and longer during this period,I decided to do it only for a short period and then go back to washing every 3 days.....why? because I honestly think constantly detangling wet hair everyday overtime will result in more breakage than I care to think of.

    Tee Tee
     
  6. debyjay

    debyjay New Member

    Joined:
    May 13, 2003
    Messages:
    1,138
    Likes Received:
    3
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    B/KLYN, NY
    I plan on doing CO washes every other day in the summer. I think too much of anything is not a good thing. I'll see how this works out.
     
  7. Erica78

    Erica78 Coils coils & more coils!

    Joined:
    Sep 29, 2003
    Messages:
    1,218
    Likes Received:
    1
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Southern girl via the North!
    When I first started conditioner washes a week or so ago...I saw a lot of shedding. I still continued to do them, and I also changed the type of brush that I was using. Now I can honestly say that I am seeing less shedding than before. My edges are smoother, and my hair is soft and shiny. I use a conditioner that has a detangler in it, so that hasn't really been a problem for me. I will continue to do them for a full month to see if it's better or not. Right now...I think it's too soon to tell.
     
  8. Karonica

    Karonica New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 27, 2003
    Messages:
    7,271
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    DC
    [ QUOTE ]
    Tee Tee said:
    I used to do the daily washes but even though my hair got incredibly thicker and longer during this period,I decided to do it only for a short period and then go back to washing every 3 days.....why? because I honestly think constantly detangling wet hair everyday overtime will result in more breakage than I care to think of.

    Tee Tee

    [/ QUOTE ]

    [​IMG] I don't do them anymore because to me, it was too much manipulation, even though I was only doing them once or twice a week. The only washes I do now are regular ones with shampoo. [​IMG] Plus, I think they were weighing my hair down, although I had increased elasticity.
     
  9. sithembile

    sithembile Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2003
    Messages:
    3,118
    Likes Received:
    1,090
    Trophy Points:
    113
    Location:
    England
    [ QUOTE ]
    Karonica said:
    [Tee Tee

    [/ QUOTE ]

    [​IMG] I don't do them anymore because to me, it was too much manipulation, even though I was only doing them once or twice a week. The only washes I do now are regular ones with shampoo. [​IMG] Plus, I think they were weighing my hair down, although I had increased elasticity.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    ITA, I don't like the constant manipulation and my hair feels heavy and dull due to the build up.
     
  10. Trinity1

    Trinity1 New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 1, 2003
    Messages:
    926
    Likes Received:
    21
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Dont get me wrong, I still do the conditioner washes and will never give them up because they keep my hair super soft and healthy. I havent used shampoo since my last relaxer 8 weeks ago but what I meant was that I dont do the conditioner washes everyday anymore.

    Tee Tee
     
  11. JenJen2721

    JenJen2721 New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    Messages:
    5,645
    Likes Received:
    11
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    St. Louis, MO, USA
    [ QUOTE ]
    Karonica said:
    [ QUOTE ]
    Tee Tee said:
    I used to do the daily washes but even though my hair got incredibly thicker and longer during this period,I decided to do it only for a short period and then go back to washing every 3 days.....why? because I honestly think constantly detangling wet hair everyday overtime will result in more breakage than I care to think of.

    Tee Tee

    [/ QUOTE ]

    [​IMG] I don't do them anymore because to me, it was too much manipulation, even though I was only doing them once or twice a week. The only washes I do now are regular ones with shampoo. [​IMG] Plus, I think they were weighing my hair down, although I had increased elasticity.

    [/ QUOTE ]

    Yeah...I think I'll stick with doing 1 conditioner wash per week and one regular wash per week.
     
  12. Ebony

    Ebony New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 22, 2002
    Messages:
    1,173
    Likes Received:
    2
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    New York
    i've been doing conditioning washes for years before i even knew what it was called and with all kinds of water. everyone is different, but for my relaxed hair i would just add additional moisturizing products after the fact when there was hard water. i hear using distilled is good for that also, although i've never bothered to do it.
     
  13. GodMadeMePretty

    GodMadeMePretty New Member

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2003
    Messages:
    6,405
    Likes Received:
    76
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    North Carolina
    I believe that daily conditioner washes can be damaging in hard water. My hair got incredibly hard and tangled when I did conditioner washes on an almost daily basis when unbeknownst to me, the salt had run out of my water softener.
     
  14. soulchild

    soulchild New Member

    Joined:
    May 20, 2003
    Messages:
    1,873
    Likes Received:
    4
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    California
    In my opinion, it would most likely be damaging.
     
  15. Leshia

    Leshia New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2003
    Messages:
    1,423
    Likes Received:
    7
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Gorgeous Great Falls, VA!
    i have to do them just about daily when i'm about 7 or 8 weeks post relaxer...or else, my hair is dry and I can't get a comb through it. For me, there is no tangling and it helps my hair to break less.
     
  16. lunalight7

    lunalight7 New Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    Messages:
    2,729
    Likes Received:
    27
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Bronx, NY
    I am going to stretch out my relaxers from now on so I will be trying them soon. Nexxus Ensure (Clarifying Conditioner) really "flattened" my new growth last wash, so perhaps I'll try them with that. Kinda expensive for condit. washes though...but hey...whatever works!
     
  17. lunalight7

    lunalight7 New Member

    Joined:
    May 3, 2003
    Messages:
    2,729
    Likes Received:
    27
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Bronx, NY
    I am going to stretch out my relaxers from now on so I will be trying them soon. Nexxus Ensure (Clarifying Conditioner) really "flattened" my new growth last wash, so perhaps I'll try them with that. Kinda expensive for condit. washes though...but hey...whatever works!
     
  18. CaramelKiss

    CaramelKiss New Member

    Joined:
    May 14, 2003
    Messages:
    873
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Location:
    Germany
    My hair loves conditioning washes! I was doing it this past summer every day. But it's easier to do when your hair is short and your hair doesn't require extensive styling, i.e. rollers, curling iron. My hair is curly and so I have to wet it everyday so eliminate the frizz. When I was unable to condition wash every day, I would spritz it with disitlled water. Anyhow, my hair has thrived and it's never been healthier. I recently, went back to flat ironing, but I've stopped that. I can't wait for the warm weather so I can cw again and not to mention, there's a whole bunch of conditioners I wanna try out as well!
     

Share This Page