Can moisturizers w/ protein give your hair moisture

Mercie

I just realized that the moisturizers I bought are protein moisturizers.
My intention was to buy a moisturizer that would give my hair moisture.
But, I'm afraid I just did the opposite.

I liked the ingredient lists on both of them and water is the first material on the list so shouldn't it give my hair moisture?

The products:

Aussie Hair Insurance Leave-in Conditioner
Ingredients: Water/Eau, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Silk Extract, Panax Ginseng Root Extract, Amodimethicone, Cetrimonium Chloride, Trideceth-12, Polyquaternium-11, Peg-40 Hydrogemated Castor Oil, PPG-2 Methyl Ether, DMDM Hydantoin, Frangrance/Parfum, Disodium EDTA, Polysorbate 80, Aminomethyl Propanol, Citric Acid

Shea Butter Green Tea Strengthening Oil Moisturizer
Ingredients: 42675 SS10- Aqua/Water, Glycine Soja Oil/Soybean Oil, Cocos Nucifera Oil/Coconut Oil, Glycerin, Isopropyl Palmitate, Polyacrylamide, Isoceteth-20, Disodium Cocoamphodipropionate, Fragrance , C13-14 Isoparaffin , Lecithin , Methylparaben , Laureth-7 , Hexyl Cinnamal , Sorbic Acid , Ethylparaben , Xylose , Citric Acid , Persea Gratissima Oil/Avocado Oil , Butyrospermum Parkii Butter/Shea Butter , Helianthus Annuus Seed Oil/Sunflower Seed Oil , Dimethicone , VP/Dimethylaminoethylmethacrylate Copolymer , Geraniol , Benzyl Benzoate , Limonene , Citral , Camellia Sinensis Extract/Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract (Green Tea) , Methylisothiazolinone , Linalool , Laureth-4 , Laureth-23 , Benzyl Alcohol , 2-Oleamido-1,3-Octadecanedio , CI 19140/Yellow 5 , CI 14700/Red 4 , CI 17200/Red 33 , CI 42090/Blue 1

msa

Those both look moisturizing to me...and anyway, hair needs protein in order to have something for the moisture to bind to.

The Aussie has aloe vera juice, which is high in amino acids but not actual proteins. And it has silk extract...which isn't the same as silk protein (as far as I know) but even if it were, silk proteins don't really strengthen, they soften the hair.

The Shea Butter moisturizer doesn't seem to have any protein in it...though it's called strengthening. Maybe I'm missing something.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I usually look at the first 2 ingredients. If one of them is not water, I assume it's not moisturizing and don't buy it.

Mercie

At first I thought they were moisture too but, then I read the descriptions and the titles and they were talking about strengthing the hair and I thought protein products do that.

chebaby

proteins soft and moisturize my hair. i do a light protein treat every week along with a moisturizing treat. i also like to use daily moisturizers or leave ins that have some form of protein in it. proteins help the hair stay soft as far as i know and because my hair is fine i can use all the protein i can get.

Urban

Not all proteins are added in for a strengthening effect. Some are actually used for their moisturizing properties.

I think it's probably best to just test the products on a small patch to see if they're as moisturizing as you like.

Mercie

proteins soft and moisturize my hair. i do a light protein treat every week along with a moisturizing treat. i also like to use daily moisturizers or leave ins that have some form of protein in it. proteins help the hair stay soft as far as i know and because my hair is fine i can use all the protein i can get.
My hair is on the fine side too so, I suppose having moisturizers that have a little bit of protein would be a good idea.

@Urban- oh, that is interesting, I never knew that.