Can one make a decent living as a cosmetologist?

Avaya

I know we have some cosmetologist and/or friends/family of cosmetologists on the board. I am thinking of going to cosmetology school in order to have a supplemental income while I attend school fulltime to become a PA.

It seems that doing hair offers a very flexible schedule and would allow me to take morning classes and work in the afternoon/evenings/weekends.

How are cosmetologist paid? Do they pay a commission to the owner of the shop on each customer they see? Do they pay a monthly booth rental fee? Do they have health/dental/vision benefits?

Short of retail, I really can't think of another working situation that will allow me to go to school in the morning.

I plan on quitting my current gig and living off of my savings while attending cosmetology school fulltime.

All of this makes me very nervous but I really want a change and now is the time.

ETA: I was thinking of working at a chain vs. your regular "around the way" joint. I figured the money would be better and patrons would more than likely know to tip thus increasing my earnings.

Last edited:
It depends. Some salon owners will pay you commission for each customer you see. For example, if you do a color treatment and it costs $70, if your commission is 50%, you are paid $35. Usually with commission, the salon owner is responsible for taxes. Other salons do boothrenting, where you pay the owner a fee for using the booth. All of the money you make is then yours, but you are responsible for your own taxes. Most cosmetologists are responsible for their own health insurance. It may be better if you start at a chain, because if a chain is well known, more people will come in and you will have an opportunity to build your business.

I used to do nails and skin care and building my business was very slow. But the cosmetologists I worked with had steady business between 7-10 months. Best to you. HTH.

I know several cosmetologists and beauty therapists who haave said on different occaisons and don't know each other that: you really don't make too much money unless you own the establishment.

It would help to know your parameters of "decent" in terms of living/quality of life you seek.

My mother is a hairdresser. Has been so for MANY years. Unfortunately, she did not have the desire for ownership, because, as a previous poster said, ownership/entrepreneurship is a direct route to financial independence. This, of course, requires great persistence, thick skin, and a willingness to forsake comfort for liberty. She's close to retirement. I grew up in a two-parent/income household, and we lived relatively well. I have no complaints. Got everything I needed, got some of what I wanted.

Through my many years of experience in dealing with hairdressers, I've seen several options that a hairdresser can choose from with regard to their business arrangement. Two that I'm most familiar with is booth rent and commission. With booth rent, one pays the salon owner a set amount (usually weekly) and the stylist keeps whatever else she makes. Usually, the stylist is responsible for buying his or own products and other supplies. With commission, the owner gets a percentage of whatever the stylist makes. Usually there's a flat salary, but this salary is based on the commission (another poster talked about the commission arrangement). I should say here that my last hairdresser worked at a salon with commission. It was cool for the first couple of years she was out of school because she was at a high-end salon and she learned A LOT about doing hair of all types. But after a certain point, she was making more and more money for the company and her salary barely increased, so she moved to a booth-rent type salon (she kept her prices the same for me, though). No flat salary to depend on... had to buy her own products and supplies... and if you don't make a dime that week, you still have to pay booth rent....

She had health care at the commissioned salon. No insurance at the booth rent place.

If you're already in school to become a PA (physician assistant?), then I humbly advise you to stay focused on one program, unless you are very confident and passionate about moving toward cosmotology.

HTH.

"Decent" for me would be $25,000-30,000 annually; enough to take care of "sustenance and covering". I'm not materialistic and am pretty content with the basic necessities of life. My "grand plan" (full of holes and question marks) was to first go to cosmetology school (1 year program) then work as a cosmetologist while pursuing the two year physcian's assistant course.

I'd be essentially working as a cosmetologist for two years to support myself while working towards becoming a PA.

The job I have currently (program coordinator/adminsitrator) is fulltime AM and I wouldn't be able to keep it while taking the PA courses since all the programs in my state only offer AM courses. I only have so much in savings that I can live off of so I was thinking of doing the hair thing for a few years. Plus I think it would be fun and personally advantageous to have that skill under my belt (live anywhere in the world and not worry about where to go to get my "hur did";) :lol: ).

I'm just really tired of being a "paper pusher"! I want to go where the people are! :lol:

If I follow through with this plan, I have every intention of hustling on the side (kitchentician in the house!):D

PrincessAvaya said:
"Decent" for me would be $25,000-30,000 annually; enough to take care of "sustenance and covering". I'm not materialistic and am pretty content with the basic necessities of life. My "grand plan" (full of holes and question marks) was to first go to cosmetology school (1 year program) then work as a cosmetologist while pursuing the two year physcian's assistant course.

I'd be essentially working as a cosmetologist for two years to support myself while working towards becoming a PA.

The job I have currently (program coordinator/adminsitrator) is fulltime AM and I wouldn't be able to keep it while taking the PA courses since all the programs in my state only offer AM courses. I only have so much in savings that I can live off of so I was thinking of doing the hair thing for a few years. Plus I think it would be fun and personally advantageous to have that skill under my belt (live anywhere in the world and not worry about where to go to get my "hur did";) :lol: ).

I'm just really tired of being a "paper pusher"! I want to go where the people are! :lol:

If I follow through with this plan, I have every intention of hustling on the side (kitchentician in the house!):D

Sounds like you got the drive to hustle! $25K would be a challenge coming right out of school, because you have to build a clientele (and you could be doing this while you're in school). Nothing is impossible! I would advise that you take time to think about what you really want to do. If hair is your passion, then put your all into that....

Princess i would encourage you to think reaaaaally carefully about cosmo school, because usually so many young people try to use a job as their footstool to get into another career but they get sucked up into the goings-on of that first career that they never have the chance to move on. So think about it carefully. Why would u have to go to school to be a cosmo? Why don't you just go to PA school and find a evening job to hold you down? It is do-able. With the Lord as my strength, I attended school for 2.5yrs, going fulltime and a half (18credit hours/semester) while holding down a fulltime job. So that is just a testimony that going to school and working is possible. Sky's the limit, young lady....

Mizani_Mrs said:
Princess i would encourage you to think reaaaaally carefully about cosmo school, because usually so many young people try to use a job as their footstool to get into another career but they get sucked up into the goings-on of that first career that they never have the chance to move on. So think about it carefully. Why would u have to go to school to be a cosmo? Why don't you just go to PA school and find a evening job to hold you down? It is do-able. With the Lord as my strength, I attended school for 2.5yrs, going fulltime and a half (18credit hours/semester) while holding down a fulltime job. So that is just a testimony that going to school and working is possible. Sky's the limit, young lady....

ITA: Also if your wanting to become a P.A (Physician Assistant) I would try to get a part time job in the healthcare field to get my foot in the door and get a heads up on that field.:)

Yeah my hairdresser made $80,000 last year only working 2.5 days a week. She just recently opened her own salon. She's 27. Now she's also married and now has 4 kids so uhh I'm sure she needs every bit of that money. lol But her clientele is ridiculous. She only works Thursday Friday and Saturday bc she has JW meetings and doesn't want to run over. So people come whenever she can squeeze them in. They don't really care when. She takes some people on Tuesdays if you're a long time customer. She's been doing my hair since she was in high school and working as an apprentice under a stylits at a salon. As far as comission or booth rent it depends on the salon. My moms hair dresser makes about $50,000 at the salon where she works now off of commission. She only works Weds, Thurs, Friday and every other Saturday and they pay for all her supplies. At the salon she was at before this one she paid booth rent.

Last edited:
RelaxerRehab was on point.

As a cosmetologist myself, I'm concerned that you would pursue cosmetology as just a job, a stepping stone to something "better," when it should be your passion. I think that part of the reason there is so much anti-stylist sentiment is because of individuals who just want to make money and don't do it for the love of it. I'm not saying that you would.

I'm currently working at a chain salon. For me and my goals, it was the best choice at this point in my career. I'm learning so much more and have a wonderfully diverse clientele. Prior to this, all of my clientele was Black females, which I believe would have limited me in the long run. Let's face it, relaxer touch-ups, rollersets, flatironing and two-strand twists will only get you so far. Because I'm a stylist at a chain, I am perfecting my haircolor and haircutting techniques on men, women and children, and still get the opportunity to provide relaxer and natural services. This is important because it will prepare me to "do hair" anywhere in the world, on anyone no matter what nationality, race, economic class, gender, age, etc, which of course can lead to other opportunities. In this way, I won't have to remain behind the chair my entire career. I have a flexible schedule, the tips are very good, I meet people from all walks of life, work in a fun, upbeat, trendy environment, and have company sponsored benefits. The stylists often take advantage of free, up-to-date education provided by the company, often in partnership with industry leaders. We are paid salary vs commission, whichever is higher, and there is a definite career track.

The commission is not high nor is the hourly wage, so it is vital to build your clientele. The salon provides all products and supplies. The stylists must provide their own tools (blow dryer, brushes, flatirons, shears, clippers and trimmers, etc.). Employment is at-will, a dress code is in effect, shifts are set by the salon leader, you must clock in and out for shifts, etc.

I don't know how long I'll remain there, but I'm really enjoying it. I love being a hair stylist and I expect to be doing big things in due time.

Last edited:
Mizani_Mrs said:

I can't think of any job that will allow me the type of flexibility I'm looking for. The only occupation that I can think of that comes close is retail and retail and I don't get along. Plus, I have evening obligations that don't allow me to have as many days per week to work as I would like/need.

May I ask, what type of work were you doing while in school?

balisi said:

As a cosmetologist myself, I'm concerned that you would pursue cosmetology as just a job, a stepping stone to something "better," when it should be your passion. I think that part of the reason there is so much anti-stylist sentiment is because of individuals who just want to make money and don't do it for the love of it. I'm not saying that you would.

I don't know how long I'll remain there, but I'm really enjoying it. I love being a hair stylist and I expect to be doing big things in due time.

My primary reason for not solely pursuing cosmetology is because I don't see myself making a sufficient amount of money in that field. All the women that I know who are cosmetologist have husbands to take care of them and I simply do not have that luxury. I worry about not having health, dental, and vision coverage also.

It sounds like you work at an awesome place. May I ask the name of the chain that you work at? Perhaps there is one located in my city as well. You can PM me if you'd like. I'm so used to the "around the way" shops and the single beauticians having to work an extra job just to make ends meet.

As another poster said, I could very well enjoy doing hair so much that I put becoming a PA on the back burner. I should mention that I am going through a quarter life crisis right now and I really don't know what the heck I want to do with myself:lol: But a change is a must!!!!!!!

Very informative thread! Thanks a bunch!:weird:

My stylist makes 75,000+, she just bought a BMW and a house. She said she saved money, had to make smart business decisions, stay on the grind, and offer quality products and techniques. She asked me what I noticed about her clients more than anything. I said, "length". Most of her clients have hair longer than apl, a few already at waist length. She says you have to spend money to make money and keep clients hair in great condition to attract more clients.

balisi said:

I'm currently working at a chain salon. For me and my goals, it was the best choice at this point in my career. I'm learning so much more and have a wonderfully diverse clientele. Prior to this, all of my clientele was Black females, which I believe would have limited me in the long run. Let's face it, relaxer touch-ups, rollersets, flatironing and two-strand twists will only get you so far. Because I'm a stylist at a chain, I am perfecting my haircolor and haircutting techniques on men, women and children, and still get the opportunity to provide relaxer and natural services. This is important because it will prepare me to "do hair" anywhere in the world, on anyone no matter what nationality, race, economic class, gender, age, etc, which of course can lead to other opportunities. In this way, I won't have to remain behind the chair my entire career. I have a flexible schedule, the tips are very good, I meet people from all walks of life, work in a fun, upbeat, trendy environment, and have company sponsored benefits. The stylists often take advantage of free, up-to-date education provided by the company, often in partnership with industry leaders. We are paid salary vs commission, whichever is higher, and there is a definite career track.

The commission is not high nor is the hourly wage, so it is vital to build your clientele. The salon provides all products and supplies. The stylists must provide their own tools (blow dryer, brushes, flatirons, shears, clippers and trimmers, etc.). Employment is at-will, a dress code is in effect, shifts are set by the salon leader, you must clock in and out for shifts, etc.

Balisi, you're in Atlanta, yes? 'Cause my church is (or has) opened a new church there and so when I go and visit the new church sometime in the future, can I stop by your salon so you can look at my hair? You sound like you know what you're doing!!! :)

Continued success to you as you advance in your career!

I was a change manager (website testing) back then. But I worked daytime hours and most of the classes were offered at night, and plus my boss allowed me the flexibility if I had any day classes. I went to a private college that offered night classes for an MIS degree. If you are going to school in the daytime though...there should be evening jobs like customer service, medical/receptionist secretary jobs etc to hold you down. Submit your resume to a million job recruiters in your area and see what they offer you. Just look around....
If you want to be a PA and that is your passion, then you need to work towards that RIGHT NOW. If your passion is to be a hair stylist, then go for it!!! You will be a great stylist and make lots of money because u have a passion to learn it and you have this LHCF forum to help to understand what customers REALLY want!

PrincessAvaya said:
I can't think of any job that will allow me the type of flexibility I'm looking for. The only occupation that I can think of that comes close is retail and retail and I don't get along. Plus, I have evening obligations that don't allow me to have as many days per week to work as I would like/need.

May I ask, what type of work were you doing while in school?

aprilbiz said:
Cosmotology is a great profession that can lead to entrepreneurship. My Granny owned her own shop and did quite well. As for salary I don't know much but came across this calculator that may help you.

http://www.americancollegeofhair.com/salary.html

Best of Success!

Hey mine did too. And I have other cosmos in my family but they were all entrepreneurs. Making more than my college educated parents. Owning their own home, nice car, makes me wonder why Im in college.

Nubian, i just had to comment. Your stylist sounds like my dream come true! Ohhh how i wish she was in my city.... I would rob a bank just to go and have her take care of my hair. And one day I'd also love to own a salon like this... happy hairgrowing girl....

PS: Balisi, this is going to be you one day too, gurl... You certainly have the personality and the knowledge to make it happen... :)

nubianqt86 said:
My stylist makes 75,000+, she just bought a BMW and a house. She said she saved money, had to make smart business decisions, stay on the grind, and offer quality products and techniques. She asked me what I noticed about her clients more than anything. I said, "length". Most of her clients have hair longer than apl, a few already at waist length. She says you have to spend money to make money and keep clients hair in great condition to attract more clients.

PrincessAvaya said:
My primary reason for not solely pursuing cosmetology is because I don't see myself making a sufficient amount of money in that field. All the women that I know who are cosmetologist have husbands to take care of them and I simply do not have that luxury. I worry about not having health, dental, and vision coverage also.

I'm so used to the "around the way" shops and the single beauticians having to work an extra job just to make ends meet.

As another poster said, I could very well enjoy doing hair so much that I put becoming a PA on the back burner. I should mention that I am going through a quarter life crisis right now and I really don't know what the heck I want to do with myself:lol: But a change is a must!!!!!!!
You can make untold amounts of money in this field. The problem with most of us is that we tend to have a limited view on what cosmetology has to offer. It does not have to mean being behind the chair all the time. It can be whatever you make it.

It would be easier if I had a husband with good company benefits, but I can't let that stop me from pursuing my dreams.

Also, we need to step outside the box and not limit ourselves to "around the way" shops. That's where a lot of trifling, scissor-happy, money-hungry stylists reside. I purposely avoided that type of salon in my job search because I see them as a dead end for someone like me. Do more research. Visit a couple of chain salons and speak to the salon manager and a stylist or two. Look into the possibility of an apprenticeship with them if you like what you see and hear. Oh, I work at Hair Cuttery and believe me, we are more than just cuts.

Relaxer Rehab, I would welcome the opportunity to see about your hair.

MizaniMrs, thanks for the vote of confidence, Girl!

sky_blu said:
Hey mine did too. And I have other cosmos in my family but they were all entrepreneurs. Making more than my college educated parents. Owning their own home, nice car, makes me wonder why Im in college.

Sky, I'm in college as well (for the FOURTH time!) and I don't regret it. Like I mentioned before, my mom is a hairdresser/cosmotologist. And cosmotologists will NEVER be without work, regardless of the economy. People will ALWAYS want to get their hair done. And one can do hair ANYWHERE, including the funeral home! LOL! It's true!

Now, I might get in trouble for this, but of course, I don't care. More often than not, our precious African American babies get pushed/tracked/directed into vocational programs vs. a classical education, or athletics, or entertainment (rap). A person may decide and know that they want to be a mechanic. That's cool. My point about college (or some form of postsecondary education) is to EXPOSE a person to life and other philosophies and other realms of thinking that they might not get exposed to for a number of reasons, mainly lack of access. And if they still want to be a mechanic after being exposed, then go for it!

A college education is not necessarily a necessity to be exposed to other things, or to be successful and or to be rich (and I know this as well. I got laid off work WITH a MASTER's DEGREE!) but through it all, I'm grateful for my educational journey.

College is also one way to find out what you DON'T want to do. So take advantage of this time, this freedom that you have. And at the same time, be purposeful. Make this time meaningful socially as well as academically.

***bump****
I just have to bump this thread because I was thinking about cosmetology school also. But I would really like to make it my career. But realistically is it going to make me some money to live comfortably off of (40k and up)?:confused:

my mom is a cosmetologist and when she just came out of school she was not making alot of money, she has since opened her own studio and THAT is where the money truly is.

get your journeyman and work for yourself.:)

kweenameena said:
***bump****
I just have to bump this thread because I was thinking about cosmetology school also. But I would really like to make it my career. But realistically is it going to make me some money to live comfortably off of (40k and up)?:confused:
You probably will NOT make 40K+ when you first become a cosmetologist. It takes time, perseverance, great technical skill, unbeatable customer service and lots of referrals to build your clientele. I left a corporate career and a very nice salary + benefits to become a cosmetologist. Believe me, I took a serious pay cut. BUT, I had prepared myself for that. Before my corporate "retirement" I concentrated on paying off debt and putting money aside for my transition. Being a professional hairstylist is my passion and my dream come true. It hasn't been easy, but I know that I will ultimately make more money than I ever dreamed of, or ever could have made in my corporate career. In time.

Bottom line, I believe that when you do what you love, the money will come. So do it for the love, and God will provide the rest.

silvergirl said:
my mom is a cosmetologist and when she just came out of school she was not making alot of money, she has since opened her own studio and THAT is where the money truly is.

get your journeyman and work for yourself.:)

This is something I would love to do; owning my own shop. Now to find a school and the time.;)

Last edited:
Back