Can stylists be *wrong* about needing trims?

Leslie_C

My ends look frizzy because I havent been using heat and they puff out in the humidity(Im in FL) . I went to a spanish(dominican?) salon to buy some Salerm 21...I actually found it by accident.

Anyhow it was a nice shop and they were nice and seemed very knowledgable about hair. In common conversation I was explaining my problems with shedding/breakage and they suggested that they start me on some treatments and I could follow it up at home. The lady was nice, but was showing me my ends and saying they needed to be sealed so they dont do that. She also said that I might want to consider cutting off about "this much", which looked like about 2 inches! Im heartbroken bc it has taken me 4ever to attain this length and I DONT want to lose 2 inches of hair! Personally I dont think it needs it bc Ive had 2 trims in the last few months. I think the frizz from airdrying makes them look worse than they are. who is right here?? should I listen to her or stick to my own plan? I DONT WANT TO CUT IT!

when my hair is "done" the ends look smooth,etc and my hair looks pretty healthy...but can unsmoothed ends be mistaken for damaged ends?

Im on the verge of tears....lol. Any thoughts???

Karonica

It could just be that the hair near your ends are underprocessed (if you are relaxed). But, to be honest, just because you've had trims already doesn't mean that your ends aren't split. It could be that you're aren't cutting off all the damaged parts, but leaving some behind, which gives them time to become more damaged. But if it's just frizzy, that alone isn't enough indication.

If the ends don't behave and likes to break, and is harder to comb through it, and they tend to stick together - then maybe she's right.

HTH

Dolce_Dawn

Hmm... it may be the airdrying. You say that when you get your hair done, you have no split ends and the hair (ends) are shiny and smooth? Maybe you should airdry w/your ends secured somehow (curlers on the ends w/end papers) and a little leave in or setting lotion. Maybe that will give you a better assessment...

If you are SURE that you have no split ends and you have not been using heat, then my guess is that it's the airdrying.

zealot

It is possible the stylist is right that your hair needs a trim. I am only saying it is possible b/c I went 4 months without a relaxer & trim. Then last weekend I decided it was time for my touch up. The stylist I went too checked my hair and told me that I need my ends trimmed. And I have to admit that I wasn't scared to have her trim my ends because she is very careful as to not cutting the length of a person's hair off. She only trims the ends so they look much nicer.

inthepink

I would try rolling the ends and letting them airdry to see how they react. If they are still frizzy and poofy then you most likely need a trim.

Paladin

This what I do when my ends look and feel rough.

I condition wash my hair and apply my leave-ins. Then I use the "baggie technique". I section my hair into four ponytails... two in the front and two in the back. I apply a generous amount of EVOO to the last three inches of each ponytail. Then I bag each ponytail in a plastic sandwich bag, secure it with a clip, wrap my hair up with the silk scarf and go to bed.

Next morning, my ends are incredibly supple and smooth. I don't always use EVOO...sometimes I use Jojoba Oil (which is excellent), Profective for Ends, Mango Butter, or something really moisturizing.

I learned about the "baggie technique" on this Board and it's been my greatest weapon against ragged ends.

HTH

cutebajangirl

If your hair came out smooth shen she was done then I would think you don't need a trim. If your hair was still frissy when she was done then that is a sure sign of needing a trim. My hair is always frizzy when I airdry, but when I look at the hair strands there are not split.

BrEE

if your hair is just frizzy from air drying and not split then i dont think you need a trim. when i air dry my hair is full/poofy/frizzy looking which i like cause it looks full. it could easily be mistaken for damaged ends but once i put a leave in on the ends it smooths it right out.a rollerset also makes them look nice and smooth.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
Leslie...I'd say yes...sometimes the stylist can be wrong about trims. I will give you an example. My 12 year old niece came in for a visit about 2 months ago. Her ends were frizzy and in desperate need of moisture. I gave her a conditioner wash...and oiled her ends with coconut oil. When I was examining her hair...I didn't notice a large amount of splits or anything. I told her that she needed to keep her ends moisturized better than what she is doing. Her hair at the time was at the bottom of her neck. About a week after her visit...her mom took her to the stylist for her MONTHLY whole head...relaxer. The stylist told her mom that her ends were badly damaged and they needed to be cut. She ended up getting 3 inches trimmed off....and man did she cry like a baby. Her hair is at ear length now. I saw how her ends were before...and there was no need to cut off that much. A small trim maybe...but to ear length? To me...this stylist should pick up on the fact that the frequent...whole head relaxers are what is drying her hair out. Sorry for the long boring story...but your post reminded me about her.