Can we talk being natural and having pretty polished nails...Can you maintain both?

Are you able to keep up with both your hair care needs AND pretty polished nails?

• Yes, I'm in my hair all the time and I still keep my nails regularly polished!

Votes: 35 66.0%
  • Nope, I'm in my hair so often that I can't be bothered polishing my nails!

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I wish I could keep up with both.

Votes: 13 24.5%

• Total voters

Smiley79

Re: Can we talk being natural and having pretty polished nails...Can you maintain bot

No problem @msdeevee and I thank you for breaking it down to me. I was always curious whether or not there was a less abrasive technique. I would be open to trying that one day. But I gotta save money so I'm not even gonna start something I may not be able to keep up for now. I will look into that Rejucovate as well.
For now, I'm open to invest in a good top coat/base coat and start using up these beautful polishes that I have sitting here at home.

We'll see how long my polish lasts after a night of cowashing and twisting my hair. :look:

Re: Can we talk being natural and having pretty polished nails...Can you maintain bot

I don't like color on my hands often. But, I keep a nice clear top coat on them. My pedicures, though, don't lack!

daydreem2876

carpe diem

I have had gel manicures. They don't seem to agree with me either. I had them on consistently for about 8 weeks before I started to notice my real nails breaking down. It has taken me all most as long to get my real nails back in shape.

All of that said.... I am going to stick with getting a manicure every 2-3 weeks and clear polish. I find the natural butters used on my hair are also good for my natural nails and cuticles, keeping them looking nice. I was/am going back to using OPI Naturally Nails.

Smiley79

I have had gel manicures. They don't seem to agree with me either. I had them on consistently for about 8 weeks before I started to notice my real nails breaking down. It has taken me all most as long to get my real nails back in shape.

All of that said.... I am going to stick with getting a manicure every 2-3 weeks and clear polish. I find the natural butters used on my hair are also good for my natural nails and cuticles, keeping them looking nice. I was/am going back to using OPI Naturally Nails.

I totally agree!:yep:

Britt

@Brittster
I agree 100%...it's hard to describe...your nails just aren't the same after. And funny thing is that YEARS ago, when I wore acylics for a couple years, I didn't notice the results were as bad on my nails as the gel experience. So it really shows that everyone is different, what works for one may not suit the other. And I also agree, that I don't ban gel manicures, but I probably would do it for a special occasion only once in a blue moon, but definitely not as a back to back service because my nails can't handle it.

Yessss, my nails felt sooo different when I took them off -- a difference I never experienced in the past with acrylic. My hands looked beautiful with them on and I really enjoyed them though :yep:. Would def get them again as a one time thing for a special occasion.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
It's all about routine. If you have your hair routine down pat incorporate nails. Doing your hair often will make your nails nicer actually. The oils, greases & butters you use will moisturize your cuticles and have them looking sharp.

A good nail file, cuticle cream, base coat and top coat are all you need to start with. Don't only lurk the NOTD and Rounds :lol: show us your nails!

Smiley79

It's all about routine. If you have your hair routine down pat incorporate nails. Doing your hair often will make your nails nicer actually. The oils, greases & butters you use will moisturize your cuticles and have them looking sharp.

A good nail file, cuticle cream, base coat and top coat are all you need to start with. Don't only lurk the NOTD and Rounds :lol: show us your nails!

Thanks a lot SlimPickinz:armyhat:...No Pressure right!!!!! :lol: I better get it together asap!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay

I'm relaxed but nope, I can't. I have a tendency to spread myself too thin and neglect things like nail polishing, etc.

Naturelie

@Naturelie
:sekret: Tell me more. Is it a gel manicure?

Thought it was an american brand but I've just discovered it's a french one (I live in France). The "Permanent Lac" is a kind of gel that mimics nail polishes (sorry if I don't use the right words, I only "speak" english on the Internet). This is the official website where it can be ordered: http://1manucure.com/227-vernis-permanent-nailic?gclid=CM-rrKKE2boCFfMdtAod7mYASg (in french). Don't know if there are US outlets.

Smiley79

SlimPickinz I did my nails this past Saturday night and then did my banding last night. I may do a cowash tonight as well, So we'll see how it goes. :) I'm keeping a tally of days in my head.

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/9vdzpu.jpg[/IMG]

Off to the Nail sub-forum to go show off. :lol:

Last edited:

Smiley79

SlimPickinz...I'm ready to give it a shot again and see if I can keep up with my nails. Remember you were encouraging me last year, smh, lol. We'll see how I do. I'll go the nail subforum with updates.

SlimPickinz

Summer where are you?
SlimPickinz...I'm ready to give it a shot again and see if I can keep up with my nails. Remember you were encouraging me last year, smh, lol. We'll see how I do. I'll go the nail subforum with updates.
I absolutely do. I saw u post in the rounds recently or RT but I didn't wanna call you out. Lol if you need me to call you out though I'm ready!

Smiley79

LOL SlimPickinz....oh noooo, let me warm up for a couple months first, lol. I had a setback with my nails a few weeks ago...I'll PM you when I have time about that ordeal. I'll post my pic of my mani attempt though.

Evolving78

I haven't been taking care of my nails and toe nails like I used to. I always run out of time! And I need polishes that have wide brushes! Plus I'm super hard on my nails.

Mz.MoMo5235

With a good nail reggie you can have the best of both worlds. For me the key was to do my many after my major wash day. I would usually wash my hair in the day and do my many before bed while watching one of my shows like big bang or SOA. With a good top coat like seche and not putting to many/thick layers of polish my nails were good to go by bed time. Then applying top coat every other day (again usually while watching a show or doing something I know will take some time) before bed. If you get a chip in the polish do an immediate repair. I chip in the polish can snag hair and clothing which can rip the hair and nails. If there is a chip or break in nail, again, take care of it then and there or you'll forget and rip out hair.

Doing my nails like this I could maintain my many for a week at a time. It probably would have lasted longer but I was once addicted to polish and couldnt go more than a week without changing the color or design.

In addition, with this reggie I also did not wear gloves when washing dishes even though I purchased some just to protect my nails. Also my nails were always natural. I could never hang with the acrylics or gels for long.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.

I've been able to keep up my nails 80% of the time this year. The trick, like many have said, is to do it on wash days. I do mines twice a week. Always AFTER I've twisted my hair up for the night. It also does help to apply top coat every couple days if you can and keep those gloves on for dishes, houses cleaning etc. I just blasted my last polish because I did the dishes and skipped the gloves. Egads....

Also, I stopped using the gel that need the light lamp. I now use the self-curing gel polish and it doesnt bother my nails. I get an extra day or two out of it and it chips like normal polish and doesnt take off the top layer of nail with it when it goes :up:

Lylddlebit

I do my nails after I do my hair. I do my hair once a week to once every 3 weeks I do my nails every 1-2 weeks. As long as I do my nails second I don't have a problem. Because I style my hair and nails to last it works for me.

NowIAmNappy

I also do my nails after I do my hair. I usually do my hair either once a week or once every 2 weeks on a Saturday. I do my nails weekly every Sunday.

Misshairdiva

I have been natural since 08 and in the past few months I have been getting my nails shallack. I love it because they dont find down my real nail bed and it last for atleast two weeks!

Holla

Ever since I discovered Wet and Wild Megalast polish, I've been able to wear colored nail polish and actually have it last more than a day or two. I used to get gel nails but the removal and painting time takes too long and I needed faster options on the go. Doing nails after, not before, wash day is a must!