Can you do this after a relaxer?

Opal1821

My sister went to a hair salon this morning to have her hair relaxed after a 5 mo stretch :eek: . The stylist relaxed her hair with Affirm and rinsed it out after the time was up. However, instead of putting in a neutralizing shampoo, she put in a deep conditioner. Her logic behind this was that when you relax your hair, the pores open up, but when you put on the shampoo, they close right back up. She said that you have to use heat on your hair when you deep condition to open these pores back up. So, she took advantage of the fact that her pores were already open and put on the conditioner. I'd heard this before when I went to a different salon, and it didn't seem to negatively affect my hair. In fact, that was one of my favorite relaxers (not sure if it was due to the Affirm or this step). With that being said, I thought that the neutralizing shampoo was necessary because the relaxer is a strong base, and leaves our hair with a high pH. The shampoo brings it back down to the normal pH. So, is this "Straight to Conditioner" step safe for our hair?

With Affirm there's the 5 in 1 reconstructor that you use before you use the neutralizing shampoo. I'm guessing for the same reasons you mentioned. I've been the Affirm system for years with no problem. :)

Isis

I don't know anything about Affirm (sounds like it's different) but with most relaxers, the neutralizing shampoo is extremely important to stop the relaxing process. I personally have never gone from relaxer directly to deep conditioning.

Isis said:
I don't know anything about Affirm (sounds like it's different) but with most relaxers, the neutralizing shampoo is extremely important to stop the relaxing process. I personally have never gone from relaxer directly to deep conditioning.

I guess that would be different because the 5 in 1 is just used for 5 minutes.

myco

Several relaxer brands make a conditioner that is applied before the neutralizing shampoo. They tend to have conditioning and neutralizing properties. After rinsing out the conditioner, you proceed to the neutralizing step.

baglady215

I do this everytime I relax, no matter the relaxer. Motions makes a neutralizing conditioner which I leave on for 10 minutes. Then I wash with the neutralizing poo afterwards.

Isis

myco said:
Several relaxer brands make a conditioner that is applied before the neutralizing shampoo. They tend to have conditioning and neutralizing properties. After rinsing out the conditioner, you proceed to the neutralizing step.
Very true. I'm saying the neutralizing step needs to be there somewhere. I must have misinterpreted what Opal said, I thought she was saying relaxer to deep conditioning without neutralizing.

baglady215

Isis said:
Very true. I'm saying the neutralizing step needs to be there somewhere. I must have misinterpreted what Opal said, I thought she was saying relaxer to deep conditioning without neutralizing.

Yes! Make sure the conditioner is specifically made for neutralizing!

Opal1821

Thanks for the feedback ladies! I just asked my sister about the responses, and she said that the stylist did wash the hair after the conditioner. I guess affirm must make the neutralizing conditioner. For those of you who do this switch-step, do you find that it leaves your hair more moisturized than a neut. shampoo w/ deep conditioner?

neonbright

This is so funny to me, I got a touch up 5 weeks ago after a 12 week stretch. I had one spot that was burning, yes I was scratching. So after she rinse the relaxer out, took my pak of ORS Rep Pak and put half on my head all over but consentrating on the burning spot for about 5 minutes. Then she did the usual neutralizing shampoo, & etc.

I love it...

amy1234

I use the affirm system and always use the 5 in 1 reconstructor. I love it, I'm not sure if this is a result from it but I can clearly see when my hair is airdried, which sections I used the affirm system and the older ends when I used to use revlon lye. The affirm section is actually shinier and is healthier.

littleaudie

Most professional relaxers require you condition before you neutralize. The steps and directions are very clearly marked on the containers. The conditioner is marked #2 neutralizer #3.

CinnaMocha

I, too, use affirm. I have my stylist neutralize my hair immediately afterwards. I prefer not to deviate from that. But, if it works, go for it!

MissB

My stylist always condition my hair after rinsing out the relaxer with one of the following products:

Design Essentials 6N1
Affirm 5N1
Fiberguard Sustenance

Keen

If I remember correctly from back in my cosmetology school days, you can condition your hair for at least 10 minutes instead of using a neutralizing shampoo.

Isis

Keen said:
If I remember correctly from back in my cosmetology school days, you can condition your hair for at least 10 minutes instead of using a neutralizing shampoo.
Just for clarity (my concern is for those who are learning to self-relax), do you mean you learned you can condition your hair with a neutralizing conditioner instead of using a neutralizing shampoo or just any conditioner instead of a neutralizing shampoo?

Keen

Isis said:
Just for clarity (my concern is for those who are learning to self-relax), do you mean you learned you can condition your hair with a neutralizing conditioner instead of using a neutralizing shampoo or just any conditioner instead of a neutralizing shampoo?

I'm not aware of any neutralizing conditioner. Regular conditioner will do. The purpose of the neutralizing shampoo is to bring your hair's PH balance back to a normal PH of 7.0 not to remove "trace" of the relaxer (from my understanding). You can remove trace of relaxer using any shampoo and conditioner if you rinse well. Leaving the conditioner for at least 10 minutes will bring your hair's PH down to a PH of 7.0. I think the average PH balance of a relaxer is around 12-14. 14 is the highest PH number. It is bad for your hair's PH to be too high or too low.

Isis

Keen said:
I'm not aware of any neutralizing conditioner. Regular conditioner will do. The purpose of the neutralizing shampoo is to bring your hair's PH balance back to a normal PH of 7.0 not to remove "trace" of the relaxer (from my understanding). You can remove trace of relaxer using any shampoo and conditioner if you rinse well. Leaving the conditioner for at least 10 minutes will bring your hair's PH down to a PH of 7.0. I think the average PH balance of a relaxer is around 12-14. 14 is the highest PH number. It is bad for your hair's PH to be too high or too low.
Thank you Keen for the info. I do understand about the pH of the hair and relaxer but I had no idea regular conditioner could do what neutralizing shampoo does.

As for me, I'll continue using my neutralizing shampoo after relaxing (that's what comes with my box), followed by deep conditioning with a moisturizing conditioner.

Last edited:

Faith

CandiceC said:
I guess that would be different because the 5 in 1 is just used for 5 minutes.
And the 5 in 1 actually also normalizes the hair some what. So when you finally neutralize it doesn't take that much shampoo to return the hair back to it's normal pH. But I agree about using a NEUTRALIZING shampoo after this step.

Last edited:

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I've done the conditioning before the neutralizing poo when I was using Motions. My last touch up with Mizani the instructions said to use Moisturefuse (conditioner) before the neutralizing poo. My stylist wouldn't do it though. I have a sensitive scalp and she just didn't want to take any chances.

QUINN

Opal1821 said:
Thanks for the feedback ladies! I just asked my sister about the responses, and she said that the stylist did wash the hair after the conditioner. I guess affirm must make the neutralizing conditioner. For those of you who do this switch-step, do you find that it leaves your hair more moisturized than a neut. shampoo w/ deep conditioner?

I use Motions and I LOVE this switch step. It does leave my hair more moisturized. I used to have extremely dry hair. This step and with the use of quality products like Nexxus and NTM, my hair is always moist and GROWING. HTH. HHG.

Neroli

This is a *new* technique that prevents damage because it begins to immediately neutralize, but does so with a condish that can sit awhile and go to *work* on both bringing down the pH as well as allow conditioners to penetrate already open cuticles. The "neutralizing conditioner* is low pH just like the neutralzing 'poo and you don't have to keep washing and manipulating the hair to bring down the pH, just put on the condish and let it sit a while 5 to 10 minutes -- its the best of all worlds - neturalizes and conditions at the same time. You still need to 'poo, but probably only needs one or two washes with the neutralizing 'poo rather than 4 or 5 normally neened because the condish would already done about 80% or more of the neutralizing and the extremely vulnerable cuticles doesn't need to be subject to the extra "handling" -- plus you get to conditioners in there while you can!

Below is an excerpt from this link re: *neutralizing conditioners* http://www.ispcorp.com/products/hairskin/content/haircare/brochure/ethnic.html

***l relaxer treatments, whether sodium hydroxide or guanidine hydroxide, leave the hair in an alkaline state. To re-balance the hair to its natural pH level, acidic "normalizing" or "neutralizing" shampoos with a pH 4.5 - 5 are usually used after the creme relaxer is rinsed from the hair. It is important to note that the rinsing time of the relaxer has a very direct bearing on how well these products work. The more the hair is rinsed the more likely cuticle damage will occur. To prevent swelling of the hair, it is recommended that a conditioning neutralizer be used instead of a shampoo. These products are applied generously to the entire head and particularly to the new growth area, scalp, and hairline to completely neutralize the alkalinity from where it is most concentrated (new growth area) to where it is least concentrated (ends): just after the relaxer creme is rinsed out (usually 95 seconds of rinsing or 45-60 seconds for short hair). The low pH of the conditioning neutralizer (pH 3 - 3.5) will handle the excess alkali. The products should be combed through to keep the hair in a straight pattern and allowed to remain on the hair and scalp for at least 5 minutes, then rinsed and re-applied for another 3 minutes before rinsing again.
Shampooing is only offered as a service to remove/prevent the sulfury deposits in the hair. The hair and scalp should not be massaged, as the bonds may still be quite active and the scalp may be sore. It is also recommended to have very mild surfactants at this point, since both the hair and the scalp are chemically compromised.

Using a conditioner instead of a shampoo and the elimination of extensive water rinsing is a new concept. Several new commercial products using this technology are being introduced to the market place. ***

Years ago I researched this and it convinced me to swith to affirm mild lye which includes the *neutralizing condish* phase. Looks like a lot of relaxer systems are coming on board and adding (or recommending this) because it really does seem to help maintain the integrity of the cuticles . . . .

I think of it like condish washes, where we've learned that we can *wash* hair with conditioners to limit exposure to harsh 'poos. Kinda the same concept, IMO

HTH!

Last edited: