Can you use henna if you have a relaxer?

Carla From VA

I am always intrigued reading about everyone's success with henna's. Which I am clueless about, but pj that I am, I'm willing to learn. My question is, can you even use henna if you have a relaxer? I have a lot of grey hair (wherever I part my hair, there is a lot of grey now I'm 37), I started getting them when I was 28, and I haven't dyed my hair since last Sept. I believe. I've been using tweezers on the greys that are near my part line. The henna seems like it would be a godsend, but I don't want a disaster if it doesn't go over a relaxer. If I can use it, which henna do y'all recommend?

HoneyDew

I have a relaxer and I use henna faithfully. Many ladies do. But, if your hair is black, you should use Indigo with it. Henna turns grey hair red.

I am not sure why they say you can't use henna on relaxed hair. It has done wonders for my hair. But, I did find that henna was preventing my relaxers from getting my hair straight. I fixed that by avoiding henna 2-3 weeks before a touchup, which means I have to do it less often. But that's okay - the treatments do last for some time.

Misseyl

Henna is a godsend to me too because now I can cover my greys w/out the damage of a hair dye. And even thou my relaxer says no, Phyto, I was able to relax my hair w/out problems..If I were you, I would do like Honeydew says, don't use Henna a couple of weeks before you relax.

Last edited:

mw138

You can definitely use henna on relaxed hair. My relaxed hair loves it! Just make sure that you buy body art quality (BAQ) henna. That's very important. There are some brands of henna for hair that contain chemicals that can ruin your hair.

Here are two sites that sell good quality henna.

http://www.hennaforhair.com

http://www.hennasooq.com

A lot of people say that Jamila henna works for them, but there are plenty of other brands that work just as well. Just make sure it's BAQ!

Carla From VA

Thanks Ladies, this is reassuring to know. Now I must peruse these sites and get to hennaing! If it makes my greys red, it should make for an interesting spring. :) I'm game, it will look better than this, I think I have lint and trash in my hair, and its just the wiry greys poking out all over the place. I think I will try henna now, and I probably won't relax again until I hit 12-14 weeks post which will be later in April for me.