Can't Bun To High Bun, Back Bun, Low Bun Challenge

faithVA

Who This Challenge is For
This challenge is for ladies who may have a bunny tail but just not enough length to completely tuck their ends under to wear a bun for a protective style. This challenge is NOT for ladies who already have a bun but just want a bigger one. This is also not for you if you are unable to get to your hair for more than 3 months at a time.

However, say you can do a high bun, but not a low bun or a back bun then we have space for you. Or say you can do a bun on straight hair but not stretched hair or wet hair then join us.

Challenge Rules
For this challenge we will check in With Pictures either every 1, 2 or 3 months but no longer than that. So if you are in a long-term protective style join us when your hair will be free at least once every 3 months.

Starting Picture
You will begin with a picture with your hair in a holder in the position of the bun you are trying to achieve. So if you are going for a high bun, place your bunny tail in a high bun. Each check in take a matching picture so we can follow your progress. Make sure if your goal is a bun on wet hair that your pictures of are your hair in a wet state. The same goes for goals if you select stretched hair or straight hair. Have your pictures match your goal style.

If your hair is too sort to even get your hair in a bunny tail take the best picture your can.

Post to Get Started
1. What's your current length?
2. Are you trying to achieve the bun on wet hair, stretched hair or straight hair?
3. Are you going for a high bun, back bun, low bun or some other type of bun
4. How often will you check in: Every 1 month, 2 months, 3 months
5. What keeps you from doing the style today?
6. When do you think you will reach your goal?
7. Post your starting picture. (In the position of your desired bun. And on wet, stretched or straight depending on #2).

Last edited:

faithVA

1. What's your current length? Shoulder length

2. Are you trying to achieve the bun on wet hair, stretched hair or straight hair? Stretched Hair. My hair is different when stretched with rollers and stretched with braids. I will have to see if I can bun with both.

3. Are you going for a high bun, back bun, low bun or some other type of bun: Somewhere between a high bun and a back bun, whatever I can get.

4. How often will you check in: Every 1 month, 2 months, 3 months: Every month

5. What keeps you from doing the style today? There are a few things.
a. My nape just struggles to retain and can reach a back bun but not a high bun. But the front of my hair isn't long enough for a back bun. With the density I have, I will need at least 2 inches all over. I may even need 3.

6. When do you think you will reach your goal? I'm hoping by April but it may be June.

7. Post your starting picture. (In the position of your desired bun. And on wet, stretched or straight depending on #2).

This is my hair after a curlformer set, bantu knot and stretched again with bantu knots.

20180127_191406.jpg

Last edited:

sunnieb

I'm joining you! :) I miss being able to bun.

BSL on top, but my entire nape broke off last month from my laziness. I can't bun without looking ridiculous because there's less than 1/2 inch of hair back there.

2. Are you trying to achieve the bun on wet hair, stretched hair or straight hair?
Straight

I don't know if my nape will grow enough this year for me to do a high bun. I'll settle for a low bun and go from there.

Every month.

Umm, having zero nape, so ponytails are a no go for me right now. I have to wear my hair down everyday to cover it.

I have no idea how much hair I need to grow in order to pull my hair back in a ponytail. September, maybe?

(Coming January 31)

Evolving78

6469CF02-F0E8-4277-B5C4-17C65B089AE1.jpeg I’m holding my spot
I don’t have enough crown hair to create a high bun. And I cut 1-2 inches in the front on the sides, so all of that doesn’t fit into a bun.

Last edited:

NaturallyATLPCH

I just wanted to ask if you ladies would be interested in twist bunning? I never had enough to do any kind of bun but before I cut my hair the twist bun in my avi was my go to protective style. My ends stayed nice and hidden and I retained a lot of length.

I have cut my hair since then (I cannot update my avi for some reason). I cut it because I wanted to, not because of damage or anything,

Evolving78

I just wanted to ask if you ladies would be interested in twist bunning? I never had enough to do any kind of bun but before I cut my hair the twist bun in my avi was my go to protective style. My ends stayed nice and hidden and I retained a lot of length.

I have cut my hair since then (I cannot update my avi for some reason). I cut it because I wanted to, not because of damage or anything,
You know I’m relaxed, so that won’t work for me, but that does look like a good idea!

faithVA

If that is an option ladies would like to shoot for they can certainly post that as their goal.

At this lazy stage I'm looking for something a little simpler.

NaturallyATLPCH

If that is an option ladies would like to shoot for they can certainly post that as their goal.

At this lazy stage I'm looking for something a little simpler.
I see. It looks cumbersome but it doesn't take long at all, literally less than five minutes and lasts all week (or longer if you choose).
Good luck with your challenge!

faithVA

I don't imagine this will be an active thread so I will try to remember to keep it bumped.

If you find a video or picture for bunning really short hair please share. I will see if I can find a few.

I know everyone here doesn't have short hair so share whatever bunning videos you like.

Evolving78

I plan to achieve a straight hair/high bun. So that may happen by the end of the year, if I have enough crown hair.

sunnieb

I'm not going to have enough hair to make a decent bun by December. So, I'm taking a page from my great- grandmother and saving my shed hair to use as filler. She had WL hair and her "bag of hair" was massive.

I thought about buying some hair, but why do they when my own hair will match perfectly?

Evolving78

Well I'd love to be able to include my twa in the bun. I'll probably come back to this challenge in 2020 lol
You have a ton of hair now! You can join! I have a twa in the crown of my head! At least you have some order/form to your hair! You can do so much! I would rock buns, ponytails, straighten it, you have enough to roller set it! Like you don’t have to try to blend like I do.

Alma Petra

You have a ton of hair now! You can join! I have a twa in the crown of my head! At least you have some order/form to your hair! You can do so much! I would rock buns, ponytails, straighten it, you have enough to roller set it! Like you don’t have to try to blend like I do.
:laugh: you are so kind!

To be honest it's still far from where I tie the rest of the hair for the bun so I keep it braided to the side and pinned. The crown part is a bit longer. I can pin it not more than 1 or 2 inches above the bun itself. I have hope for this part.

What do you do to blend your crown in the bun? Can the hair from the front cover it nicely? And how is it coming along?

Alma Petra

2 years ago I bought a flat iron.
I have never used it. I think I was afraid of heat damage since my hair was already chemically damaged. I am not sure if I am ready for it yet. But if my twa doubles in length, I'd really love to try another set with bantu knots like in my avatar.

faithVA

I'm joining you! :) I miss being able to bun.

BSL on top, but my entire nape broke off last month from my laziness. I can't bun without looking ridiculous because there's less than 1/2 inch of hair back there.

Straight

I don't know if my nape will grow enough this year for me to do a high bun. I'll settle for a low bun and go from there.

Every month.

Umm, having zero nape, so ponytails are a no go for me right now. I have to wear my hair down everyday to cover it.

I have no idea how much hair I need to grow in order to pull my hair back in a ponytail. September, maybe?

(Coming January 31)
Remember to post your starting pic.

Evolving78

:laugh: you are so kind!

To be honest it's still far from where I tie the rest of the hair for the bun so I keep it braided to the side and pinned. The crown part is a bit longer. I can pin it not more than 1 or 2 inches above the bun itself. I have hope for this part.

What do you do to blend your crown in the bun? Can the hair from the front cover it nicely? And how is it coming along?
I can’t blend. It’s a different texture as well. So it’s just out there. It’s a cabbage patch among grape vines..

faithVA

I may have to drop out then, since I can’t pull my hair up to that point.
The starting pic is to show your hair as it is now. It doesn't have to make it to a bun. It really shouldn't. There w9uld be no point to the challenge.

faithVA

Do I have to attempt to create a bun in the area that I’m working on and take a pic?

Take a picture of your attempt at the bun you are trying to achieve first as close as you can get it .

Each check in will show a pic with the attempt of the exact same style until you achieve it.

I'm your case, no don' take a picture of just your crown, just take the bun pic.

Evolving78

Take a picture of your attempt at the bun you are trying to achieve first as close as you can get it .

Each check in will show a pic with the attempt of the exact same style until you achieve it.

I'm your case, no don' take a picture of just your crown, just take the bun pic.
To clarify, I can just take a bun pic and show my progression to a high bun throughout the challenge? Because I just have like an inch of hair in the middle. Think of it like a bald headed man with hair in the back still rocking a ponytail! Lol

Alma Petra

How long is your hair? On this board I've seen SL ladies say they have a twa.

Hahaha I can totally understand how shoulder length hair can look like a twa: shrinkage!
But my twa is just 9 months old and I haven't retained all the growth.

I cannot bun it so I have been wearing it braided and pinned to the side.
In addition to this I have some hair in the crown area and on the sides that I could also join this challenge with. I use pins to keep it in place because I cannot include it in the bun.

20180203_151022.jpg

20180203_151112.jpg

20180203_150933.jpg

20180203_150447.jpg

You can count a total of 5 pins! I think it makes me look ridiculous in public but I don't care. I NEED to wear a bun in order to keep manipulation to a minimum and reduce the frequency of wash days.

Alma Petra

I can’t blend. It’s a different texture as well. So it’s just out there. It’s a cabbage patch among grape vines..
Hang in there! You are transitioning too so this will make things more difficult initially. But it will start to get better as the roots grow longer. I use aloe vera gel to try and make the two textures look as close to each other as possible. I also sometimes use real hair gel such as Wet Line.

faithVA

Hahaha I can totally understand how shoulder length hair can look like a twa: shrinkage!
But my twa is just 9 months old and I haven't retained all the growth.

I cannot bun it so I have been wearing it braided and pinned to the side.
In addition to this I have some hair in the crown area and on the sides that I could also join this challenge with. I use pins to keep it in place because I cannot include it in the bun.

View attachment 423543

View attachment 423545

View attachment 423547

View attachment 423549

You can count a total of 5 pins! I think it makes me look ridiculous in public but I don't care. I NEED to wear a bun in order to keep manipulation to a minimum and reduce the frequency of wash days.
Your hair I wouldn' consider a twa. A tea can barely be twisted or braided. Your hair is who this challenge is for.

Considering you are doing a low bun your hair is quite long. Your hair is probably already long enough to do a high bun or a back bun.