Capillary Schedule what it is, how to start.

Lucia

Hi Ladies, :wave:

Here’s the short answer it’s a scheduled hair treatment routine focusing on hydration, nutrition, and reconstruction (protein) balance to get your hair in the best health possible so your hair can get thicker and longer. This method comes from Brazil originally so thanks to our Brazilian sisters out there. Also I have to clarify that moisture and hydration are not the same thing *see below
I’ll link some videos on it and heres some examples of basic capillary schedules, how to choose products. I’ve added Bond Builders to the basic regime but it’s not part of the original ones as you’ll see. Also I’ll post mine.

Example Capillary Hair Schedule

Either shampoo or cowash your hair 1-3 times a week. I recommend shampooing on the reconstruction days before applying the protein on damp hair for better results. Then follow with one of these masks store bought or DIY.

For normal non damaged hair or maintenance schedule

Week 1 Hydration

Week 2 Nutrition

Week 3 Hydration

Week 4 Reconstruction or **Bond Builder (BB) Hydration, Nutrition or Moisturizing Rinse out

For damaged dry hair

Week 1 Hydration/Hydration

Week 2 Hydration/Nutrition

Week 3 Hydration/Hydration

Week 4 Reconstruction or **Bond Builder (BB)/Hydration, Nutrition or Moisturizing Rinse out

For extremely dry damaged hair. This is a 3times a week wash and treatment schedule

Week 1 Hydration/Hydration/Nutrition

Week 2 Hydration/Hydration/Reconstruction or **Bond Builder Hydration, Nutrition or Moisturizing Rinse out

Week 3 Hydration/Hydration/ Nutrition

Week 4 Hydration/Hydration/ Reconstruction or**Bond Builder Hydration, Nutrition or Moisturizing Rinse out

Alternate Reconstruction and Bond Builders as needed 1 month Reconstruction then 1 month BB or every other week. Or double up BB on Hydration days and still do a Reconstruction Treatment.

To tell what kind of conditioner or mask it is truly look at the majority main ingredients.

Hydration Masks: Any fruits carbs, sugars, Honey, agave, maple syrup, sugars, glycerin, glycerol etc… to rehydrate and bring water into the hair. Hint: Elasticity, Nutrition, Hydration, Healing, Hair Food, no usuals here everyone calls it something different even calling them moisture masks. *Which is not accurate and makes things confusing because moisture is more about the outer layer of hair and hydration is the inner layer. Example if your hair is moisturized you can make it look good shiny no fly always but it won’t feel good or healthy.

Nutrition Masks: Any fruit or nut oils, butters, lipids. To replace oils and lipids in the hair. Such as: Coconut oil, avocado, avocado oil, banana, Shea butter, calendula oil, olive oil, jojoba oil, cocoa butter, Argan oil, almond oil, macadamia nut oil etc… Hint: Usually labeled as moisture masks and conditioners.

Reconstruction Masks: Any protein to rebuild and strengthen protein bond in the hair. Such as: Keratin, Arginine, Collagen, Wheat protein, Gelatin, hydrolyzed protein (rice, soy, vegetable) rice, rice water, yogurt, Milk, Silk Amino Acids. Hint: Usually labeled as reconstructor or strengthening conditioners or masks, like aphogee 2 step treatment or beaten egg yolks.

**Bond Builder Treatments: This can also include bond builders like Curl smith or Olaplex. They build up internal mid shaft Olaplex to outer bond Curlsmith within the hair. Olaplex has a patented compund that rebuilds the hair binds inside the shaft. They are not just a protein treatment. Curlsmith is more of a protein bond rebuilder like Aphogee 2 step but not as intense. These are NOT conditioners they must be followed up with a pH balancing or hydration mask or rinse out conditioner afterwards.

Capilary schedule explained

Olaplex and Curlsmith comparison

https://youtu.be/7Zy9OVXyuCI

https://youtu.be/49JYD3MGf4o

Last edited:

Lucia

Since I’m 2 months into this new regime this schedule might change.

My Capilary schedule.
Shampoo 1x / week Co wash 2 times per week.

Weeks 1 and 3: Hydration. Hydration. Reconstruction or Bond Builders
Weeks 2 and 4: Hydration. Hydration Nutrition

That was the first 2 months now I alternate 3 times a week with 2 times a week schedule.

Weeks 1 and 3: Hydration Reconstruction or Bond Builder
Weeks 2 and 4: Hydration Nutrition

Now if you read my How Olaplex saved my hair thread you know I’m on board with Olaplex. I use their entire line and This is the first product that I can use a quarter sized amount per section of hair.

New Hair regime in progress
Shampoo: Briogeo Don’t despair repair moisture shampoo, Olaplex #4
Conditioner: Briogeo Don’t Despair repair moisture conditioner, Olaplex #5
Hydration: TGIN Honey Miracle Mask. Still looking for a second mask
Nutrition: Amalaki Oil blue beautify, innate life scalp and hair treatments, and homemade rosemary infused oil Blend, Olaplex #7 oil, shea butter (Winter) this is when I do scalp massages and inversion method.
Reconstruction: Aphogee 2 step protein treatment with balancing conditioner, Briogeo Don’t despair repair hair mask it’s a light to medium protein mask. Aphogee keratin 2 minute conditioner a very light protein Rinse out conditioner.
Bond Builder: Olaplex #0 and #3

Leave in stylers: Olaplex #6 and #7, innate life rose elixir oil
styles none pokahantes braids under a wig- done. Moisturize daily.
I DC using heat steamer, heat cap or dryer

Last edited:

snoop

So, I'm on month 2. I added weekly updates in the hair scheduling thread, but here are my thoughts. Please keep in mind I'm on a no poo/no rinse out conditioner routine.

Personally, because I was using a lot of herbs, I found that three days per week of washing my hair felt like a lot because I was doing some pretty ingredient intense DIY recipes. I used the Meu Cronograma Capillar app to get me started and to set my schedule for me. In the first month, I set the schedule so that I was washing my hair 3 days a week, which is what they recommend.

I felt like washing my hair this many times with ayurvedic treatments left my hair feeling a bit dry. I think that if I were washing my hair with shampoo and conditioner I would have had a more positive experience since it would be coated a bit more due to the ingredients used in shampoos and conditioners.

My hair was/is pretty healthy, I think but I like the idea of breaking down my routine into hydrating, nourishing, and reconstructive. In doing so, I was better able to pick which herbs I should use and when and as a result improve my overall routine and I think my hair. (So my hair went from good to better, I think.)

This past month and going forward, I am doing a maintenance schedule. The maintenance schedule is working well. Next month I might try twice a week and see what that is like, but overall I had positive results with it.

I think it could be beneficial for people who have absolutely no schedule at all, don't necessarily have (access to) salon quality ingredients, or people who don't mind DIY.

A lot of people on the app don't have afro hair. The app recipes are in Portugese and they do take into account our hair type with a few recipes.

snoop

I'm bumping this thread with an update. I'm still using this method on my hair and only using it once per week. I end up doing 2 hydrating, 1 nutritive, and 1 repair treatment per month. I like it, because it's been helping me to be specific with my ayurvedic treatments.

I don't really use the app anymore and am planning on carrying this method through to next year so that I can continue using ayurveda/herbal treatments on my hair in a way that "makes sense" for my hair needs.

Dare~to~Dream

I finally watched one of the videos that was posted in this thread (2 inches in a month video) and got curious about this routine. I had already planned on changing some aspects of regimen in January and realized that I was pretty much on track with a "capillary" schedule unknowingly. There was a website listed in the video description and once you go to it, you could put your information in and they give you your schedule. They also have an app. I was curious about the Portuguese app as well and decided to download it and see if the routine would differ from the one on the website. I didn't like that I couldn't schedule far in advance (January 2023). It seems like it's the same rotation/schedule though the dates are different. After reading this thread again, I realized that it goes by the the state of your hair after you fill out the questionnaire and the schedule is the same for that particular hair need regardless.

Anyway, next year I had planned to alternate using a shea butter based deep conditioner every so often while still keeping my current deep conditioner in rotation. I wasn't sure how I was going to alternate them--whether I was going to use the shea butter deep conditioner every other week or once a month--so I was going to play it by ear. Watching the videos and reading these posts, I love that the deep conditioner that I've been using has several hydrating ingredients and I love that the new deep conditioner I got has shea butter as the second ingredient. I had planned to keep my protein treatment as well using a similar window that the app(s) suggest (give or take 2 weeks). So I was already set. When I finally read the post again and watched the video(s), I was like "I was already going to be doing something similar!" More than likely, I will follow the app(s)' set schedule come January 2023 and see how it goes.

Last edited:

snoop

I finally watched one of the videos that was posted in this thread (2 inches in a month video) and got curious about this routine. I had already planned on changing some aspects of regimen in January and realized that I was pretty much on track with a "capillary" schedule unknowingly. There was a website listed in the video description and once you go to it, you could put your information in and they give you your schedule. They also have an app. I was curious about the Portuguese app as well and decided to download it and see if the routine would differ from the one on the website. I didn't like that I couldn't schedule far in advance (January 2023). It seems like it's the same rotation/schedule though the dates are different. After reading this thread again, I realized that it goes by the the state of your hair after you fill out the questionnaire and the schedule is the same for that particular hair need regardless.

Anyway, next year I had planned to alternate using a shea butter based deep conditioner every so often while still keeping my current deep conditioner in rotation. I wasn't sure how I was going to alternate them--whether I was going to use the shea butter deep conditioner every other week or once a month--so I was going to play it by ear. Watching the videos and reading these posts, I love that the deep conditioner that I've been using has several hydrating ingredients and I love that the new deep conditioner I got has shea butter as the second ingredient. I had planned to keep my protein treatment as well using a similar window that the app(s) suggest (give or take 2 weeks). So I was already set. When I finally read the post again and watched the video(s), I was like "I was already going to be doing something similar!" More than likely, I will follow the app(s)' set schedule come January 2023 and see how it goes.

That app is great for getting started. The forum with the recipes was interesting as well.

I love that this has helped me to target the types of DIY I should be doing instead of just randomly mixing things. I plan on using this method next year, as well.

Dare~to~Dream

That app is great for getting started. The forum with the recipes was interesting as well.

I love that this has helped me to target the types of DIY I should be doing instead of just randomly mixing things. I plan on using this method next year, as well.
I like the DIY component as well. The Hair Routine app doesn't have a DIY section since they sell products but I like the way the app is setup a little better. I won't be doing DIY--at least not to start--but one deep conditioner I'll be using is the closest thing to homemade. I know that I will be trying the schedule for at least 3 months since I only wash and condition once a week and the recommended schedule is 3 times a week for 4 weeks.

snoop

So, I think that I've finalized my schedule for at least the first quarter of the year. I might do a couple of tweaks, but last year's experiment combining this method with ayurveda has made my DIYing less haphazard.

This year, I've got a few more ingredients to try out, but I will only test them on the days that they fit into my hair schedule. Initially, I planned to continue with washing my hair once per week, but as I type this out, I might tweak this a bit. It's been a warm winter so far, but my house feels DRY. I might try doing a mid-week rinse so that my hair gets a heavy dose of water, but I have to keep in mind that when I initally tried this method at three days per week my hair felt drier than I'd have liked.

Dare~to~Dream

I started this schedule last Sunday and if it goes well, I will continue until March 1st. I did end up using the Portuguese app's schedule which has 12 sessions as opposed to the Hair Routine's app schedule which only had 10 sessions. I did this because I decided that instead of following this schedule with my regular routine of washing/treating/conditioning once a week (on Sundays), I should at the very least bump it up to twice a week. Three times a week is just too much. The Hair Routine app had varying days (every 3 days which could end up being any day) whereas the Portuguese app had set days (Sundays which is my usual day and Wednesdays). I prefer the set days. I just did my second wash, treat, and condition for the week last night and my hair doesn't feel as good today as it did on Monday after my Sunday treatment. I only did one shampoo with my regular hydrating/moisturizing shampoo as opposed to the double shampoo I did on Sunday (all-[purpose shampoo followed by hydrating shampoo). I did use more leave-in than I normally do because I was trying to finish up the bottle. I also styled it a bit differently and parts of it still aren't dry like it normally does overnight. So either of these things could be it. I am looking forward to Sunday since I will be using a new deep conditioner that will act as my nutrition mask so I will see how that goes.

snoop

I started this schedule last Sunday and if it goes well, I will continue until March 1st. I did end up using the Portuguese app's schedule which has 12 sessions as opposed to the Hair Routine's app schedule which only had 10 sessions. I did this because I decided that instead of following this schedule with my regular routine of washing/treating/conditioning once a week (on Sundays), I should at the very least bump it up to twice a week. Three times a week is just too much. The Hair Routine app had varying days (every 3 days which could end up being any day) whereas the Portuguese app had set days (Sundays which is my usual day and Wednesdays). I prefer the set days. I just did my second wash, treat, and condition for the week last night and my hair doesn't feel as good today as it did on Monday after my Sunday treatment. I only did one shampoo with my regular hydrating/moisturizing shampoo as opposed to the double shampoo I did on Sunday (all-[purpose shampoo followed by hydrating shampoo). I did use more leave-in than I normally do because I was trying to finish up the bottle. I also styled it a bit differently and parts of it still aren't dry like it normally does overnight. So either of these things could be it. I am looking forward to Sunday since I will be using a new deep conditioner that will act as my nutrition mask so I will see how that goes.

I wonder if your hair is like mine... it likes and wants water, but not too much. I found that doing this three days for me left my hair drier than if I did my weekly routine. I was using all herbal stuff, but still.

After doing the initial cycle, I went back to once a week washes, but made my own 4 week schedule Hydration/Nutrition/Hydration/Reconstruction but paying attention to which ingredients get used on each wash day.

Please do post updates as you continue.

Dare~to~Dream

I wonder if your hair is like mine... it likes and wants water, but not too much. I found that doing this three days for me left my hair drier than if I did my weekly routine. I was using all herbal stuff, but still.
I don't know what it is but my hair definitely feels different. I'll see how it feels come Sunday and hopefully I can rule certain things out that might be causing this feeling. I do think I have to be careful of getting hygral fatigue because I believe that I've experienced that before with my hair. However, at another point in my hair routine years ago, I did wash my hair and deep condition my hair every 3 days with no issue. I think that's because the deep conditioner used was protein based so that kept things in check and my hair never felt like it was experiencing hygral fatigue. This time around, I did a protein treatment about a week before starting because my hair needed one and also because the capillary schedule puts my "reconstruction" treatment as the very last treatment. I was thinking I might need protein before then so I made sure to do one before I started. I didn't use apHogee which is pretty hardcore so I'm wondering if that's why my hair doesn't feel as strong after this second weekly wash.
After doing the initial cycle, I went back to once a week washes, but made my own 4 week schedule Hydration/Nutrition/Hydration/Reconstruction but paying attention to which ingredients get used on each wash day.
I will probably do this as well but if I need to switch back to a weekly routine before I complete the initial sessions, I will.
Please do post updates as you continue.
I will post some updates as time goes on.

Dare~to~Dream

My hair did end up feeling dry--the roots anyway. The texture also felt off to me as well. I typically style in bantu knots but did bigger ones this time around so the midshaft and the ends finally dried but still felt moisturized. I ended up taking them down and moisturizing them from root to ends anyway. I typically don't have to moisturize this soon after my shampoo and conditioning treatments so this is something I am taking note of going forward.

Last edited:

snoop

My hair did end up feeling dry--the roots anyway. The texture also felt off to me as well. I typically style in bantu knots but did bigger ones this time around so the midshaft and the ends finally dried but still felt moisturized. I ended up taking them down and moisturizing them from root to ends anyway. I typically don't have to moisturize this soon after my shampoo and conditioning treatments so this is something I am taking note of going forward.

Perhaps too much (hard?) water? I wouldn't continue at three times per week. Maybe switch to weekly. If your hair wasn't severely damaged, you don't want to damage it with this experiment.

Dare~to~Dream

Perhaps too much (hard?) water? I wouldn't continue at three times per week. Maybe switch to weekly. If your hair wasn't severely damaged, you don't want to damage it with this experiment.
I have a shower filter and the water doesn't seem as hard but since it's not a water softener it's still not soft water. I'm only doing twice a week. I will see what happens this week when I switch things up a bit before deciding whether or not I should go back to my normal routine of once a week again if necessary; thanks. Like you said, I don't want to damage my hair by trying this experiment. I will say this: I do like that I'm noticing less shed hairs with this method.

Last edited:

keranikki

Natural, 3abc/4a, Fine, medium density
Saving my spot. Thank you @Lucia @snoop @Dare~to~Dream for this thread!

Edit: I'm going to start with the maintenance schedule. My hair doesn't feel damaged at this time, but if the maintenance schedule isn't enough, I will switch to one of the others.

My regimen for February:
WEEK 1
- Prepoo w/Aloe Vera, marshmallow root, and Giovanni Avocado (moisture) conditioner
-Shampoo w/Design Essentials Agave and Lavender
-Condition w/Design Essentials Agave and Lavender
-Style w/water, Annabelle’s Perfect Blends 3n1 leave-in, Shea concoction, gel for WNG

WEEK 2
-Prepoo w/Olaplex 0/3
-Shampoo w/Rhassoul Clay, coconut milk powder, activated charcoal, marshmallow/clove tea
-Condition w/APB Fenugreek DC
-Style w/water, APB 3N1, Shea concoction, gel for WNG

WEEK 3
REPEAT WEEK 1

WEEK 4
-Prepoo w/Olaplex 0/3
-Shampoo w/Design Essentials Begin Beautifully (clarify)
-Condition w/APB Blueberry Cheesecake Protein DC and APB OMG (protein free)
-Style w/Design Essentials Agave and Lavender serum, blowdry, trim ends, either flatiron or 6 cornrows and wig

I will use heat to Prepoo and Condition. I will assess, tweak, then update for March.

Last edited:

Dare~to~Dream

Here's my second week update: My hair feels pretty much back to normal. I do believe it was a combination of product and styling (I used less product for my mask/treatment and less of my leave-in this last session). It's been feeling pretty nice these last couple of sessions. For now I will continue this schedule as is but I want to start blow drying/sitting under a hooded dryer for at least one of the weekly sessions. I typically air dry and have been air drying my hair for years but I don't want to risk hygral fatigue while doing this regimen.

Last edited:

Dare~to~Dream

I'm going to list the conditioners/treatments I'm using for each category in this thread as a sort of record or for those who might want to know.

Hydration: Organic Hair Growth Conditioner from Chy Hair Grow (formerly called Chy Avocado Smoothie Megagrowth Deep Conditioner)-the main ingredient is fresh avocado but it also has coconut water, coconut milk, honey, and aloe vera juice; must be refrigerated but I keep mine in the freezer for a longer shelf life and it thaws fast. I love this stuff; I've been using it for over a year now.

Nutrition: Adwoa Beauty Baomint Deep Conditioning Treatment--second ingredient is shea butter and it has 5 other oils (coconut oil, baobab oil, prickly pear seed oil, sweet almond oil, and pumpkin seed oil along with essential oils that I didn't list here); first time using it and thought it was so-so but my hair felt great after airdrying overnight. It does have some other ingredients that I'm trying to limit/avoid so after the jar is done I probably won't repurchase. If I continue this regimen, I will probably try pure oils for this part after this jar is finished.

Reconstruction: Botánika Beauty The Mender Protein Treatment-hydrolyzed collagen and hydrolyzed egg protein are the main ingredients; used it twice or so before starting this regimen and I think it works decently but I'm not so sure if it can actually replace the ApHogee two step protein treatment. I'm only scheduled to use this once in the last phase of the regimen.

Last edited:

Dare~to~Dream

I don't want to risk hygral fatigue while doing this regimen.
I have to come back in here to say that I'm not saying that this regimen can cause hygral fatigue. It's possible but the main reason I want to be careful is because I recently upgraded my regular showerhead to a dual showerhead unit. One of the showerheads is a handheld one that I use for my hair. I have great showers and my shampoos and conditioners are so much easier to rinse out but I realize that there is much more water getting into my hair strands as result of using it. With my washing and conditioning twice a week now, I just want to be careful especially since I also have twice as much hydration sessions as I do nutrition sessions.

AtlantaJJ

I'm bumping this thread with an update. I'm still using this method on my hair and only using it once per week. I end up doing 2 hydrating, 1 nutritive, and 1 repair treatment per month. I like it, because it's been helping me to be specific with my ayurvedic treatments.

I don't really use the app anymore and am planning on carrying this method through to next year so that I can continue using ayurveda/herbal treatments on my hair in a way that "makes sense" for my hair needs.
This really makes sense!

Dare~to~Dream

I have to say that forgoing airdrying while doing the capillary schedule has been working well for my hair. I have been air-drying my hair for years and it finally clicked that for my hair and scalp, I might have been doing more harm than good. Sitting under my hooded dryer for less than an hour is an easy, effortless way to dry my hair while using indirect heat. I have a blow dryer too but will be upgrading that soon to use whenever I want to trim my hair/wear straight styles.

Last edited:

snoop

How is it coming along so far? Are you blow drying at 2 days per week or have you gone back to one?

Dare~to~Dream

How is it coming along so far?
I think it's going well. I don't know if I've seen a big change in my hair to be honest but I like doing it. My hair seems longer in some areas when I twist it for bantu knots but I've been fooled before thinking my hair was longer when it wasn't. I have less shedding and less breakage as well.

Are you blow drying at 2 days per week or have you gone back to one?
I'm sitting under the dryer twice a week--I always finish on cool. I was going to do it just once a week while doing this capillary schedule but twice a week--or every time I wash and condition my hair with this schedule works better for me. I use to air-dry for a few hours before bedtime so by doing this, I don't have half damp hair or have to use both a scarf/satin cap so that it can be dry by the next day nor am I risking hygral fatigue.

Last edited:

Lylddlebit

My standard hair routine is very similar to this concept, except I don't wash my hair more than once a week. My wash routine, for the times I am wearing natural hair with weekly washes, matches the monthly schedule for normal hair within the first video. I just never thought about it until this thread posted around last year. I have no doubts this works and can be tailored to the condition/state of the hair. It definitely standardizes healthy hair practices and appropriate treatments for the state of one's hair.

Last edited:

snoop

This is what I love about this. I had a weekly schedule of washing my hair or even strengthening it, but now I'm more mindful of when I actually do it or what ingredients I use during wash day instead of just saying I washed my hair, good enough.

Dare~to~Dream

I completed all 4 phases of the capillary schedule on last night. This went by faster than I thought it would. I liked using the app and getting the little alarms to remind me of my task and what treatment I would be using for that day. I finished with reconstruction (protein) and noticed that I had more shedding/knots than usual while detangling/handling my hair so I think it's the protein treatment (Botánika Beauty The Mender). This was the first time the excess shedding/knotting happened after using. I left it on for a few minutes longer so maybe that's why. I had used it a few times before doing this schedule but was still deciding if it was better than ApHogee. After testing it a few times and noticing a couple of broke hairs and now shedding/knotting, it doesn't seem to be better than ApHogee. I had tried another protein treatment prior to this one and got the same shed hair that turned into knots. My hair just might prefer ApHogee after all but before I switch back to it, I will be trying creamy protein treatments to see how my hair fares with them.

Anyway, other than last evening my hair didn't shed as much and detangling was pretty much a breeze with less shed hair while doing this capillary schedule. I had to switch my shampoos/rinse out conditioners/leave-ins a couple of times due to ingredients that I decided to avoid and my new shampoo is bit drying than what I'm used to--so that wasn't good.

Overall, I liked this schedule and while the app generated a new schedule, I won't be following it at this time. I plan to switch back to my once weekly routine of washing/conditioning and will be incorporating a bit of ayurvedic stuff into my hair regimen again. I will still rotate my conditioning treatments as needed for hydration, nutrition, and reconstruction. Going forward, I won't always be doing a "hardcore" protein treatment for the reconstruction part but using a protein based conditioner instead.

I will probably do the strict capillary schedule again in the fall or next winter by following the app's guidelines but that's far off.

Last edited: