Caring for Layers to Avoid Thinning

Hi Ladies :wave:

I wanted to share with you how I comb my layers and try to avoid the longer ones from thinning out:

I studied my hair carefully sectioned my hair in various groups based on common lengths. I dont know if this term exists but I call them layer lines - the angel in which your hair was cut. When you find that angle, all hairs in a particular section will be the same length.

When I moisturize, I do it section by section, ensuring that all the the different length groups get the same percentage of attention.

I do the same thing for coming and brushing. I feel that combing in common lenght groups will avoid the excess tension found in hair combing when comming from a thick section of hair to thinner (i.e. the top of your hair to the bottom). You start off with a strong brisk stroke at the top of your hair where it is the thickest but when you get to the bottom, you dont have as much hair and that strong stroke is too forceful for the bottom layers.

This is the sort of tension that eventually leads to hair snapping thereby causing thinnig on our longer layers.

After my sections are moisturized and combed thru, I set them with the caruso rollers and finger comb avoiding tension all together.

Granted, it takes a little longer to style hair but I figure it is worth it to preserve our locks.

Just wanted to share..

Last edited:
Thank you for starting this thread. I do appreciate it. I have layers, although I didn't know it until I went to the salon to have her cut my hair in a bob and she told me. I've been growing out a TWA since my August BC and I had it trimmed twice since then: January and May. I had no idea they were trimming it with layers or that it would be necessary to do so. Now, I'm battling dry ends in areas. I'm going to try your strategy tonight and see what it looks like tomorrow. Thanks again!

Yes, thank you for this! Your hair looks great. I hate my layers, but maybe caring for them like you mentioned will help. You have inspired me to start using my Carusos again too.

Back