Caring for Yarn Braids

cltsassy

This past weekend I put yarn braids in my hair for the second time. I really, really like them and plan on wearing them for the summer. The first time I had yarn braids I kept them in for 3 weeks and then took them out. My hair was moisturized and not very tangled at all. Since I really like this look, but they take so long to put in and take out, I want to leave them in longer than 3 weeks. I know that a lot of you leave braids in for months at a time and that you wash and condition them and redo individual braids. However, since this is yarn as opposed to human or synthetic hair, has anyone had any experience with washing and caring for yarn braids?

I have some in my daughters hair right now. I've been caring for them just as I would with human hair and it's been working out, her hair is very moisturized.

We just basically use our own version of the crown and glory method from
www.groafrohairlong.com

Mystic

you can treat them just the same as you would synthetic braids. I used to wet mine daily, oil my scalp with coconut oil and I had no problems - hair was always moist. I didn't have a prob putting them in - the take down was hell though.

tkj25

i treat my yarn braids just like my regular hair. i no-poo, moisturise with a homemade, botanical spray & then seal with conditioner blended with oil. i re-do my braids every 2 months. i plan on using this system until i make at least waist length stretched, which should take me another 2 yrs. braids are a great protective style & allow you to retain every inch you grow -- if properly cared for -- plus, yarn braids hold moisture really well.:grin::grin:

sistatv

:bump:

I want to try Yarn braids with the crown and glory method but the comments about the take down are scaring me off... What makes the take down so difficult? And can I cowash them 3-4 times a week? I plan to keep them for 6-8 weeks.