Carol's Daughter HAIR BALM HORRORS!!! (RANT)

chayil0427

Will I ever learn to stick with what works :wallbash:

I just had to get myself a bottle of Carol's Daughter Hair Balm even though I hated the last CD product I bought a few years ago. ( I recall having written a rant about it too.)

When the hair balm arrived I thought it would be a great product. The ingredients are:

Soy Oil, Corn Oil, Beeswax (not good but I was willing to try it anyway), Sweet Almond Oil, Shea Butter, Cocoa Seed Butter, Coconut Oil, Fragrance, Wheat Germ Oil, and Annatto Seed.

I have been using this product for about two washes. First I noticed that it was just really oily and didn't seem to penetrate the hair. Second the smell is really perfumey and got on my nerves after the first application. Next wash I used less of the product hoping for more satisfactory results. Yet, this morning I woke up and ran a WIDE TOOTH comb through my hair and found that it was shedding massively. I ran my fingers through my hair and came out with a hand of hair :blush:. Previous to using this product I was shedding only a few hairs a day. Not only that, my scalp burned and itched all through church so much that the pastor probably thought I had fleas the way I was clawing at my scalp.

This is THE WORST PRODUCT I HAVE EVER USED! I wouldn't recommend this to my dog, and having tried two of her products I can firmly say I'll never be purchasing from CD again. :ban:

Chayil

tiffers

Whisper "bleep boop" to yourself when you're sad.
That sucks :sad: Sorry you had to go with that

IA with Sam, Carol's Daughter sucks eggs. I only vouch for the body products (the scent Ecstasy is just :lick: ) But the hair stuff is way overpriced and overhyped

newflowers

I wanted to love CD's products, especially the Khoret Amen which I waited almost a year to buy because it was never in stock anywhere. While I think it smells divine, the results were terrible. The foot soak I like, but it's pricy for such a small jar (yeah - me saying something is too pricy) :grin:

nurseN98

Ayiti cherie
Sorry you had all that shedding, probably all that wax in it.

I have some of that healthy hair butter....i know I shouldn't have bought it cause I heard it sucked but I did anyway. It doesn't really do anything plus it starts to smell like lemon-scented fungus feet after a few minutes...:nono::barf:

Last edited:

brownbeauty196

IA with Sam, Carol's Daughter sucks eggs. I only vouch for the body products (the scent Ecstasy is just :lick: ) But the hair stuff is way overpriced and overhyped
I agree , i dont bother with the hair products but some of the body products I love.

Cali*Rocks

I'm so glad you posted this. I too tried some of her products years ago and hated them. I saw them on sale at my hair salon and was going to try them again thinking that maybe I would like them now :ohwell:

veggiegirl314

I agree that CD products aren't that great. I had a short love affair with CD hair milk until it started drying out my hair like crazy.

ajacks

The hair balm didn't work for me either. The healthy hair butter was just ok, but nothing to get excited about.

ART11

I cannot tolerate the smell of that stuff and wasn't too crazy about the beeswax or corn oil.

MochaEyeCandy

Sorry you had all that shedding, probably all that wax in it.

I have some of that healthy hair butter....i know I shouldn't have bought it cause I heard it sucked but I did anyway. It doesn't really do anything plus it starts to smell like lemon-scented fungus feet after a few minutes...:nono::barf:
:lachen::lachen::lachen:

Butterfly08

Yes that scent is luscious. I was also pleasantly surprised at how moisturizing the body butter is, I wasn't expecting much considering how much I don't care for her hair products. :look:

CocoBunny

Hmmm. I kinda like her stuff. I like the smell, the texture and what it does for my hair. What works for one person clearly does not work for everyone. I'm sorry about your shedding, I know it's annoying.

southernchocolate

This isn't the first time I've heard not so great reviews about CD hair products. Oh well. I guess I'll just stick with the body butters.

IrisDaVirus

OP - Sorry you had such a bad experience with her hair products.

I can't vouch for her body stuff because I've never used any of them, but I think CD's hair products are total crap. The only thing that semi-worked for me was Some of Marguerite's Magic, and I stopped buying it once I found better products for much cheaper.

MsEllie

I am not interested in trying too many products that I have to purchase online. I would rather buy at a store - if I run out then I just go to the store and restock. But I wouldn't try this because of the reviews. There are a couple things that I buy on line not many though.

shasha8685

I hated CD products!!! The Healthy Hair Butter sat on my hair. The Hair Milk sat on my hair. That Kizzy Stay Put Pomade did absolutely nothing. That Sea Moss shampoo dried my hair out. The Black Vanilla Leave-In was ok but doesn't compare to my Giovanni and Jane Carter Solution. The Tui Oil is...blah.

I really wanted to like it but it did do much for my hair :perplexed

tailormade84

imma be nice...that Black Vanilla Leave-In is the best hair perfume ever :)

but yeah, all the other products i tried weren't worth the money :(

darlingdiva

I hated CD products!!! The Healthy Hair Butter sat on my hair. The Hair Milk sat on my hair. That Kizzy Stay Put Pomade did absolutely nothing. That Sea Moss shampoo dried my hair out. The Black Vanilla Leave-In was ok but doesn't compare to my Giovanni and Jane Carter Solution. The Tui Oil is...blah.

I really wanted to like it but it did do much for my hair :perplexed

ITA!!!!!!!! with the bolded. I love the Black Vanilla Leave-in, but the new formula isn't in Macy's yet (I usually put it on my Macy's card). Meanwhile, I still needed to detangle my hair, so I bought the last two bottles of the Jane Carter Solution Revitalizing Leave-In from the Vitamin Shoppe. After I undid my plaits and detangled w/ my fingers, I parted my hair into eight sections. I sprayed the JC Leave-In alone on the first four sections. I then poured some of the JC Leave-In and castor oil into another bottle. I sprayed that mixture onto the last four sections of my hair. Then I bunned each section & secured the bun with a bobby pin.

I took the sections down the next day. I liked the first four sections (the leave-in by itself) better than the last four sections (the leave-in with the castor oil). All of my hair was soft, but the first four sections were softer. I even tested the leave-in out by combing from root to ends & there were virtually no tangles. I was surprised b/c it seemed like the JC leave-in was even lighter than the CD Leave-In (if that's even possible). Plus, it's $2.50 cheaper than the CD Leave-In ($3.50 cheaper if you buy it from the Vitamin Shoppe). I've found my new leave-in.

beans08

I thought the Healthy Hair Butter was okay, but the smell could be really cloying. The Tui Hair Smoothie smelled okay but did nada for my natural 4 a/b hair. I got no slip, no nothing.

I won't be purchasing anything else from them. I prefer Oyins.

kjeneen

WHHHHHOOOOAAA!!! And here I thought I was going BONKERS!

I ran out and bought the Hair Milk (which was a full court mess that I ended up giving away) AND the darn Balm (to which I use on occasion as all-over body oil). This stuff stinks MAJORLY:(

XenaX

I hardly ever see positive reviews for CD but SOMEBODY has to like it and be buying it.

Who and where are these folks?

DragonPearl

I have never bought any CD's products, but I am surprised at all the negative reviews. I wonder if the ingredients have changed over the years, because back in 2000-2002 when I used to frequent natural hair sites, her company had not blown up yet and people were raving about her products.