Cassia, Henna, Indigo & Amla Info Sheet from Mehandi (long)

JLove74

I called Catherine & asked her to email this to me so I could share w/you guys. This is the info sheet that is put in all of the orders and very helpul for mixing. If you'd like the whole document click here: http://www.esnips.com/web/HennaInfo (scroll down and click on file)

Cassia Obovata is a plant.[/B] The powdered leaves have chrysophanic acid and tannins, which are antifungal, and will leave your hair glossy, dandruff-free, and healthy. Cassia Obovata will not change your hair color, unless your hair is white-blonde. Cassia obovata has a low content of golden dye, but it won’t show up on most people’s hair. Very few people are allergic to cassia, but it can happen! Test first!

To mix and apply Cassia Obovata:
Apply Cassia Obovata to clean, dry hair.
Mix Cassia Obovata with warm or hot water and let it sit for 15 minutes. Add enough water to make a paste about the consistency of stirred up yogurt.
Section your hair, and apply the Cassia Obovata paste to your scalp, and gradually work it into all of your hair.
Wrap your hair in plastic, and wrap a towel around that to reduce mess, and increase warmth.
Leave the paste in your hair for ½ hour.
Rinse the paste out.

Henna, Lawsonia Inermis, is a plant.
The powdered leaves have Lawsone (hennotannic acid), a red-orange dye and antifungal, and will leave your hair glossy, dandruff-free, and healthy. Henna will penetrate and dye your hair’s keratin. The resulting color will be a combination of your natural color and the red-orange henna color. Very few people are allergic to henna, but it can happen! Test first!
Mix and apply henna:
Apply henna to clean, dry hair.
Mix henna with lemon juice, grapefruit juice, rainwater, or other mildly acidic liquid, and let it sit for 12 hours at 75F or 24 C. Add enough liquid to make a paste about the consistency of stirred up yogurt.
Section your hair, and apply the henna paste to your scalp, and gradually work it into all of your hair. Wear plastic gloves, because henna will stain your hands orange. Carefully wipe henna away from forehead and ears, because it will stain skin orange.
Wrap your hair in plastic and wrap a towel around that to reduce mess and increase warmth.
Leave the paste in your hair for at least an hour, and up to 6 hours. The longer you leave the henna in, the more dye will penetrate your hair. If you put a dryer bonnet on over your wrapped hennaed hair and heat it, you’ll get more stain faster.
Rinse the paste out.
The henna stain will darken over the next 3 days.

Indigo is a plant. The powdered leaves have a natural dark blue dye. Apply indigo after henna to dye your hair jet black. Mix indigo into henna to dye your hair brown. Very few people are allergic to indigo, but it can happen. Test first!
Mix and apply Indigo for jet-black hair:
Apply indigo to clean hair. If you want jet-black hair, henna your hair first, then indigo your hair as soon as you have rinsed the henna out of your hair.
Mix indigo with warm water and let it sit for 1 minute. Add enough water to make a paste about the consistency of stirred up yogurt. Many people find a spoonful of salt helps the indigo stain darker.
Section your hair, and apply the indigo paste to your scalp, and gradually work it into all of your hair. Wear plastic gloves, because indigo will stain your hands blue. Carefully wipe indigo away from forehead and ears, because it will stain skin blue.
Wrap your hair in plastic, and wrap a towel around that to reduce mess, and increase warmth.
Leave the paste in your hair for 1 hour. If you put a dryer bonnet on over your wrapped hair, and heat it, you’ll get more stain faster.
Rinse the paste out.
The indigo stain will darken over the next 2 days.

Mix and apply indigo and henna together for dark brown hair:
Apply the mix to clean hair. Prepare henna paste as above. Let it sit 12 hours.
Mix indigo with warm water and let it sit for 1 minute. Mix them together. The more indigo you add, the darker the brown.
Section your hair, and apply the paste to your scalp, and gradually work it into all of your hair. Wear plastic gloves, because the paste will stain your hands. Carefully wipe the paste away from forehead and ears, because it will stain skin.
Leave the paste in your hair for 1 to 5 hours. If you put a dryer bonnet on over your wrapped hair, and heat it, you’ll get more stain faster.
Rinse the paste out.
The stain will darken over the next 2 days.

Amla is a plant: Emblica Officinalis. The dried, powdered fruit has tannins, vitamin C, and is astringent. Amla adds texture, volume, wave, curl and shine to your hair. It will facilitate uptake of other dyes, but does not itself have a dye. Scrub your face and body with amla for a glowing, clean complexion. Very few people are allergic to amla, but it can happen! Test first!
Mix and apply Amla for healthy skin and hair:
Mix amla with water in a ceramic bowl to the consistency of thick soup, and warm it in the microwave until it’s hot but not boiling. Let it cool.
Apply warm amla paste to your face and body and leave it 5 - 10 minutes, then scrub it off.
For curly hair, section your hair, and apply the amla paste, and gradually work it into all of your hair.
Leave the paste in your hair for ½ hour for wavy hair, longer for curls. If amla irritates your skin, wash it out sooner.
Shampoo the paste out.

Walnut is a plant: Juglans Nigra.
The dried, powdered nut husks have a brown dye. You can add the liquid from simmered walnut husks to your henna mixture to get brunette tones, or you can add the powder to henna. Walnut is not a very effective hair dye. Also, many people are allergic to walnuts, and may experience allergic painful reactions to hair dye with walnut powder. Do not use walnut powder in your mixture without patch testing first, and do not use it at all if you have nut allergies.

Remember: Everybody’s allergic to something …. And no matter what it is, somebody’s allergic to it.
Test first!
[/SIZE]

For bulk discount quantities of henna and indigo
visit http://www.blackcatredcat.com

Last edited:

Islandclo

Catherine is awesome and so is her henna.....I've been ordering henna from her for the past 4 years...her henna stains beautifully and last long..I'm thinking of going jet black again with Indigo..and I love using the amla powder on my face it has a glow after washing it off...

Armyqt

Thanks Jlove. I don't hink I'm going to indigo today afterall. It seems that to achieve the black that I want, I'm going to have to release the henna first. It's a little more complicated that I anticipated. And I certainly don't want blue-black hair. :D

AKA-Tude

Great info!!!

I am still trying to figure out what & where to order from, but I am taking in all the info ya'll are giving!!

Thanx again!!!

honeycomb719

I'm doing a henna treatment right now. I just found an indian grocer close by. I about to go purchase some indigo now. I will post the results and prices here for any interested Michigan ladies.

Isis

Thank you Jlove for this thread and bump. I am learning from scratch about color and henna.:)

honeycomb719

Wow I just finished my henna and indigo treatment, and my hair is midnight black:eek: Just how I wanted it, But I didnt expect such nice results on the first try. will post pics soon. Im now sitting with some amla oil on my hair under a plastic cap.:D

RainbowCurls

Thanks for that. Very informative.
When I get bored of the crazy colours I'm almost definitely going to go the henna + indigo route.

LovelyLionessa

honeycomb719 said:
Wow I just finished my henna and indigo treatment, and my hair is midnight black:eek: Just how I wanted it, But I didnt expect such nice results on the first try. will post pics soon. Im now sitting with some amla oil on my hair under a plastic cap.:D

Wow, that's sooo cool, you lucky duck! Congratualtions! Last night I tried to order some indigo but they were out of stock! :mad: It's okay, I just talked my local Indian grocer and she's going to try and get some for me. I need my indigo!! :yay:

What proportion did you use Honeycomb, with your henna and indigo mix? I was thinking about using 100 grams of henna and 100 grams of indigo for my BSL hair. I'm not looking to go midnight black though, I want a dark brown espresso color to get rid of my crazy red ends. :lol:

AtlantaJJ

WooWee thank you JLove! Very informative and timely. JLove got me going on henna and it's been a :love: thang with me and ever since! Thank you my giving sista!! (she told me to keep my mixes simple, keep the nuts, fruits and berries outta there! LOLOL) :lol:

JLove74

AtlantaJJ said:
WooWee thank you JLove! Very informative and timely. JLove got me going on henna and it's been a :love: thang with me and ever since! Thank you my giving sista!! (she told me to keep my mixes simple, keep the nuts, fruits and berries outta there! LOLOL) :lol:

Aww you so sweet.....

now leave that pectin alone:lachen: :lachen:

honeycomb719

Priestess said:
Wow, that's sooo cool, you lucky duck! Congratualtions! Last night I tried to order some indigo but they were out of stock! :mad: It's okay, I just talked my local Indian grocer and she's going to try and get some for me. I need my indigo!! :yay:

What proportion did you use Honeycomb, with your henna and indigo mix? I was thinking about using 100 grams of henna and 100 grams of indigo for my BSL hair. I'm not looking to go midnight black though, I want a dark brown espresso color to get rid of my crazy red ends. :lol:

I mixed about 2tsp of henna powder w/ tea to a medium consistency. I let the henna stay on for 3 hrs. Rinsed, then add about 100g of indigo w/ 5ts of warm water, mixed and slathered on. I didnt think it would be enough originally, but it was just enough. My hair isnt really long tho. My hair is at the base of my neck, so u may need to mix up double since your BSL.

LovelyLionessa

honeycomb719 said:
I mixed about 2tsp of henna powder w/ tea to a medium consistency. I let the henna stay on for 3 hrs. Rinsed, then add about 100g of indigo w/ 5ts of warm water, mixed and slathered on. I didnt think it would be enough originally, but it was just enough. My hair isnt really long tho. My hair is at the base of my neck, so u may need to mix up double since your BSL.

Thanks girlie! I'm on the hunt for my indigo! ;)

frankie

Hey Jlove :wave:

I see this is the info sheet you were talking about. Thanks again for getting me started!!!

Jas123

The Star of a Story
Hi HoneyComb..glad to hear you had such great results with the henna
OT..Do you (or anyone) know if I can use henna on my hair with my hair previously being colored w/Bigen????

JLove74

sherylin123 said:
Hi HoneyComb..glad to hear you had such great results with the henna
OT..Do you (or anyone) know if I can use henna on my hair with my hair previously being colored w/Bigen????

as long as you are using 100% BAQ henna you will be fine using ir over Bigen

princesslocks

I spoke to a henna sales person from the website that was posted on the forum and I was told as long as it's BAQ (Body Art Quality), it can be used over a previously semi permanent rinse.

You may want to research the info on the web.

HTH :)

JLove74

princesslocks said:
JLOve74 your hair is gorgeous :love:

Is that black ? Did you use indigo ?

Thanks Princess:p I used a very small bit of indigo months back (just too see how my hair would look dark), it didn't do too much. So I've just been using henna - adding in cassia and/or amla.

AtlantaJJ

I'm going to add my next henna / cassia / amla powders to thickend coconut milk. My guess is that it will be very conditioning and will make my hair very soft. I just read that the milk is very good for the scalp as well.

I'll post my results here.