Caster Semenya Hopes To 'run Free' Again After Swiss Supreme Court Offers A Reprieve

Discussion in 'News - Breaking News & Political Forum' started by Leeda.the.Paladin, Jun 3, 2019.

1. nyeredzi

nyeredzi Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    There's really no category she can compete in fairly. Her levels aren't as high as men, especially not male athletes. But they're too high for women. It sucks for her, but it's also not fair and sucky for the women she competes against

2. Laela

Laela At Home, in Mela Nation

Blog Posts:
    :yep: They have a legitimate point.. just another angle of this issue that won't go away, simply because we choose to ignore it.

Leeda.the.Paladin likes this.
  3. Leeda.the.Paladin

Leeda.the.Paladin Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Are we ignoring it or choosing to focus on what’s relevant to the issue?

If the issue is racial bias in sports , then they have a point.

But if the issue is should intersexed individuals compete against non intersexed women, then I don’t see the point.

4. dicapr

dicapr Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Sometimes people get tunnel vision about issues of black and white. Yes the issue overall is unfair on every side. But they are not picking on Castor because of her race.

They have offered her a way to continue to compete and she has rejected it (which is her prerogative).

But at the same time should the non intersexed women just accept that they are going to have to try to compete with someone who is a genetic male and wants to continue to benefit from their high testosterone issues?

There is no way to resolve this and make everyone happy.

5. Crackers Phinn

Crackers Phinn Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.

Blog Posts:
    To me this is the most important point. Caster knows that she's gaming the system and wants to continue doing so at the expense of who knows how many women athletes.

6. Laela

Laela At Home, in Mela Nation

Blog Posts:
    For those in support of her actions, the issue include her race; if the organization is changing rules abused by white intersexed runners because of Caster, then the racial component is already there, and they choose to address it just as important or relevant as her case. That's why I posted that Tweet.
    I feel for her either way because her genetic "advantage" is natural and she's getting flak for choosing not to have it altered although there is no viable alternative. It's a sad situation all around.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
    itsallaboutattitude likes this.
  7. dicapr

dicapr Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    The cases seem similar but the really aren’t. Individuals suspected that the white athlete was taking steroids and that was why she looked masculine. It could have been that in 1983 the idea of a man passing as a woman was less popular than the idea that steroids were to blame. So while posting side by side pictures makes it appear racial the controversy surrounding both athletes is not the same.

8. HappilyLiberal

HappilyLiberal Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Plus, where is the white runner from? East Germany had a full scale doping system in place that was used on their female athletes--many times without their knowledge or consent. Those women later had problems conceiving because of this. So, those cases are very different.

9. Leeda.the.Paladin

Leeda.the.Paladin Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Caster Semenya considered boycott, says she’s blocked from Rabat meet
    OlympicTalk
    8 hours ago

Caster Semenya said she has been denied entry into Sunday’s Diamond League meet in Rabat, Morocco, even though she is eligible to race her preferred distances while a Swiss supreme court decides on her appeal against the IAAF’s new rules for female events.

[​IMG]
    Semenya also said she considered boycotting racing the 800m unless the rule is lifted for all affected runners.

“I am a woman, but the IAAF has again tried to stop me from running the way I was born,” Semenya said in the release. “The IAAF questions my sex, causes me great pain and required me to take hormonal drugs that made me feel constantly sick and unable to focus for many years. No other woman should be forced to go through this in order to have the same right that all women have – to do what we love and run the way we were born.”

The two-time Olympic 800m champion’s team said she was told Tuesday that the president of the Moroccan track and field federation denied her from entering the 800m in Sunday’s meet.

“Caster is currently seeking clarity on the specific reasons for that decision, and she urges the IAAF to ensure its member federations comply with the law and the Supreme Court’s orders,” according to a press release.

The given media contact for the Rabat meet did not respond to an email last week asking if Semenya would be invited to race after the Swiss court made her eligible for the time being to race her best events — from the 400m through the mile. The same contact did not respond to a follow-up email Thursday afternoon following Semenya’s press release.

“It should be noted that the Diamond League meetings are not organized by the IAAF,” the IAAF said in a statement later Thursday. “Entry for any athlete into a Diamond League meeting is by invitation only from the meeting organizer.”

[​IMG]
    Semenya’s team also said the Swiss court denied an IAAF request to reimpose the regulations. The IAAF said it “continues to comply with” the Swiss court order to suspend the testosterone rule, strictly for Semenya.

“No woman should be subjected to these rules,” Semenya said in the release. “I thought hard about not running the 800m in solidarity unless all women can run free. But I will run now to show the IAAF that they cannot drug us.”

Semenya is also seeking to change her event at the Pre Classic on June 30 from the 3000m to the 800m, according to the release.

“As one of the premier track and field meets in the World, the Prefontaine Classic always strives to have the top athletes in attendance,” a meet spokesperson said when asked if Semenya will be allowed in the 800m. “If an athlete has a time/mark that is among the best in the World and is eligible in the eyes of the sports’ governing bodies, then yes, they will be considered for an invite to the Prefontaine Classic.”

Laela likes this.
  10. ThirdEyeBeauty

ThirdEyeBeauty Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    A unisex race is needed for professionals. That should be implemented immediately so that she can continue the profession she loves.

I am feeling some kind of way about her quote. It sounds too scripted--too typical, as if this is a setup. Usually I am neutral especially for a person with intersex disorder but this here *almost* sounds like the agenda of transexual people.

11. dicapr

dicapr Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I feel for her but I’m not here for her quote. It definitely sounds like she has another agenda. Besides other intersexed individuals the only other women this would apply to would be trans women. We don’t need transwomen completing against biological women because they are running the way they were born.

12. ThirdEyeBeauty

ThirdEyeBeauty Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    It's difficult to tell if she is fighting for her own rights (I would say put me on any available race and let's see how I do and go from there). No, she is doing this double talk as if someone made her the spokesperson for transgendered people when she is not. I hope she knows someone is using her.

13. dicapr

dicapr Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    I don’t think someone is using her. She is a member of the LGBTQ community and she probably feels as if she is fighting for all non-biological women.

However I think many people see intersexed individuals as a special case because they are born phenotypically female with XY chromosomes.

14. guudhair

guudhair Well-Known Member

Blog Posts:
    Intersex people are running the way they were born as well...and in Caster’s case, with extra testosterone. Neither should be competing against women and girls.

Intersex and trans people should be included in special sporting groups for schools/Special Olympics until the organization figures out something else other than allowing them to participate in events for women and girls.