*~*CASTOR OIL CHALLENGE 2012*~*

xu93texas

Hi, I want in please! :grin: I really like massaging castor oil to my scalp. I was using another brand and recently ran out. So, I just bought jbco (Tropic Isle brand) from a bss store in Atl. while visiting relatives for Thanksgiving. I also scooped up a jar of jbco hair food pomade. I plan to use jbco mixed with Bee mine growth serum 3+ times a week and apply the pomade to scalp/hair the night before I wash/dc and/or co-wash. I have nl hair and I'm serious about growing out a healthy head of shoulder length hair for 2012. My edges have thinned out a bit due to post partum shedding and I really want to see them grow back in full.

Starting pics:

Last edited:

empressri

What type of Castor Oil will you be using:

Regular old cold pressed home health castor oil.

Tell us a bit about your hair:

It's healthy all around for the most part, I do tend to get split ends though if they get too dry.

How will you be using your Castor Oil:

Sealing! I might mix some with my ceramide oil mix to use on my scalp.

This is a picture with my hair already sealed with castor oil. The moisture retention is out of this world!

Attachments

• CIMG9109.JPG
    CIMG9109.JPG
    137.9 KB · Views: 82

Meadow

I'm in :yep:

I will be using JBCO that I bought from Amazon.

My hair is relaxed and comes past my shoulders. I have no idea what type it is. When I was natural, and I washed it, I had fluffy hair with loose and tight curls. Don't know what that means, but it was cute!. I am currently nursing my sensitive scalp back to health after a bad reaction to hair color. I bet I will be using all natural dyes next time!

I will be using my castor oil with a combination of tea tree and peppermint to soothe my scalp and add a bit of fragrance. I will get the hubby to massage it into the scalp...:grin:

starting pic:

Last edited:

20perlz

Drugstore castor oil.

My hair is relaxed 4A/B. Between SL and APL. Damaged cuz I am hard headed and keep falling off the wagon....I have never used castor oil before and I want thicker edges.

Will be scalp massaging 3X a week (at least). (I also plan to oil my daughters scalp on the same schedule).

I will post a picture before the beginning of the challenge....

tiffjust2002

@tiffjust2002 Sure she can join. Now you've got me wanting to try this with my toddler.

@greenandchic I'm going to be using my oil straight but I'm planing to use sulfur and/rosemary eo mixed in. I apply my oil with an applicator bottle as well and I've also found that my scalp sucks up JBCO, but not so much with regular Castor Oil.

@tHENATuRALhAiRpRoJEcT Perhaps you are allergic to it then. Try cutting it with another oil, if the itchies persist, I would stop usage.

And a big welcome to everyone else!! Lets keep it going!!

LOL Thanks! now i have a quick question do you rinse the castor oil out of your hair or do you leave it until the next time you wash or co-wash. I have only used it a couple of times on my DD and I added EVOO to it (3 parts castor oil to 1 part evoo) and I had her sleep overnight with it and shampooed it out. But I only wash her hair once a week or once every two weeks. so I am wondering would I have to do it 3x a week now?

naturalnikki

I want in!!!!

JBCO

My hair is 4B natural, no where near the length I want it to be. It's longer in the top than it is anywhere else.

I will be using mine for sealing mostly!

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    73.2 KB · Views: 31
  • photo-1 - Copy.JPG
    photo-1 - Copy.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 29
  • photo-1.JPG
    photo-1.JPG
    40.5 KB · Views: 28

empressri

The moisture retention is out of this world!
Your hair period is out of this world![/QUOTE]

tajaun you are too sweet!!! :grin:

SO said that my hair particularly at my roots is looking thicker already.

I knew to ask the fine detail oriented one if he noticed a difference lol

Barbara

Princess
I have a lot of oils I'm trying to get rid of, so I'll mix them with the castor oil--since I can't stand it alone.:nono:

Last edited:

kupenda

I've been going back and forth about this thread forever. But its time I joined. I bought castor oil a year ago and HATED how it weighed down my hair and was so thick and sticky. So I added it to other oils and deep conditioners to use it up. And then I read that people massage their scalps with it so I did that too. Didn't pay any mind to the fact that my chronic itchy scalp was alleviated, my crown was growing back and felt amazing, my edges were filling in after a bad see in, and I had gained two inches in length in two months. It wasn't until I stopped using it that everything went seriously downhill. Now, I'm trying to get my hair and scalp in good condition again. So I'm joining! I will be massaging my scalp nightly with a small amount of castor oil, focusing on my problem areas. I will also be using it to seal, as a pomade, and to overall make my hair feel soft. I wish I had known back then what I had stumbled on. I would be on my way to BSB by now

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

prettybyrd

LOL Thanks! now i have a quick question do you rinse the castor oil out of your hair or do you leave it until the next time you wash or co-wash. I have only used it a couple of times on my DD and I added EVOO to it (3 parts castor oil to 1 part evoo) and I had her sleep overnight with it and shampooed it out. But I only wash her hair once a week or once every two weeks. so I am wondering would I have to do it 3x a week now?

tiffjust2002 - I don't know if you were seeking an answer from anyone in particular, but I leave mine in until I wash on Saturdays. I apply the JBCO a few times per week when I braid my hair at night. Sometimes I use enough the night before that I don't have to add more. I only wash more than once per week if I add gel to my hair and I need to wash it out to style the next day.

greenandchic

I leave it in until wash day. Its funny because as thick and sticky as it can be, it soaks into my hair and scalp to the point I no longer notice it. I don't know how it works but it does. I apply it every other day.

cutenss

I wanna join :yep: I use to be a challenger when BG would have the challenges. I even won a prize, in one of the challenges/drawings. And I received great growth :up: I have a little JBCO that I usually make an oil mixture with. I will do this with my own personal WEN challenge, that I am starting, starting Jan 1. I will post a pic when I flatiron on Monday.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
I'm so excited for this challenge that I've already started oiling my scalp.:lick:

Same here! I've been going at it for about a month now. But today I decided to try something new and add a little bit of sulfur to it. I'm going to try it for 30 days and see what happens. :look:

I wanna join :yep: I use to be a challenger when BG would have the challenges. I even won a prize, in one of the challenges/drawings. And I received great growth :up: I have a little JBCO that I usually make an oil mixture with. I will do this with my own personal WEN challenge, that I am starting, starting Jan 1. I will post a pic when I flatiron on Monday.

Yup, I remember you from that challenge! I was one of the challengers that won the free bottle of JBCO with you. :lick: BlackGeisha has been MIA for a while now and she never finished that last challenge. I hope everything is okay with her.

Ms_CoCo37

Evallusion, girl, how do you stand it? I mean the JBCO is stinky enough by itself (smells like ashes to me). I have some sublime sulfur powder, and I'm trying to will myself to use it. Peeeewww...:nono:

cutenss

prettybyrd Thank you for the well wishes :kiss: Me getting married next year is one of the main reasons for getting in this challenge. I want thick, luscious mane for my BIG day. Plus I want to start the year using mostly natural products, less sulphates, more ayurvedic powders, and oils, etc. :yep:

Anywhoo, my castor oil mixtures would consist of my favorite oils, which include: grapeseed, jojoba, and avocado. These are all :lick: for the hair and scalp. They blend well together, and are also good for sealing. I think that I hope helps. If your hair has favorite oils, JBCO makes a perfect base. I hope this helps. And if have any ohter questions, just ask me.

Evallusion, hey girl :wave: Thanks for starting this challenge. The castor oils challenges were always the one I would stick too.

Krystle~Hime

I will use the normal castor oil, IMO an oil keeps its properties when it cold-pressed. So I don't see a necessary to buy the black oil.

I'm a natural type 4 hair. my favorite protective style is twists, with my own hair. and i am APL.

I will be massaging Castor Oil into my scalp at least 3 times per week. I will also "GHE" with it 3 times per week (after scalp massaging )
I will also seal my hair with it but in a pomade form(homemade).

Will post pictures at end of the month.
my goal is to keep my hair moisturized at its most ^^

choctaw

mmm ... castor oil ... :lick:
spray bottle: rose water, castor oil, conditioner
eco custard
pomade
oil rinses
ayurvedic powder or herb infusions
add to henna paste

Ms_CoCo37

Last night I oiled my scalp with JBCO and then misted my twists with rosewater instead of regular water, then baggied. This morning when I woke up my twists were so shiny and juicy.:lick:

I think I'm in love.:look:

kupenda

Massaged with castor oil last night. Coated my hair strands in it before pinning it up for bed. And rubbed it on this morning before leaving for work. Put it in my car so I can add some to my ends during my lunch break :)

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF :)

tajaun

I went to the bss to buy some jbco, I really dont think it was jamaician black or haitian black...the labels varied in shades. Also i opened the bottles smelled the oil and looked at it. It looked and smelled like regular castor oil for $8.99 , I dont remember the name brand. but i did see made in the USA on the back. It had a really simple name and i .forgot it, i wanted to research it. However my question for u ladies is ......is jamacian black and haitian black co...BLACK, or is it clear??? I am thinking that these folks went to the drug store bought regular co and put it in a bottle and made there own labels, thats why they were different shades of brown. Annnnd i have known some bss to be ripoffs, so i dont feel as though im wrong for considering this. Also the bottle wasnt sealed.

Evallusion

LiloLombardi
Evallusion, girl, how do you stand it? I mean the JBCO is stinky enough by itself (smells like ashes to me). I have some sublime sulfur powder, and I'm trying to will myself to use it. Peeeewww...:nono:

LOL. The sublime sulfur that I have doesn't have much of a smell. It almost smells like a light metal. But even still, I'm only going to use the sulfur mix every other day--don't want the SO to start complainin', :lachen:

I went to the bss to buy some jbco, I really dont think it was jamaician black or haitian black...the labels varied in shades. Also i opened the bottles smelled the oil and looked at it. It looked and smelled like regular castor oil for $8.99 , I dont remember the name brand. but i did see made in the USA on the back. It had a really simple name and i .forgot it, i wanted to research it. However my question for u ladies is ......is jamacian black and haitian black co...BLACK, or is it clear??? I am thinking that these folks went to the drug store bought regular co and put it in a bottle and made there own labels, thats why they were different shades of brown. Annnnd i have known some bss to be ripoffs, so i dont feel as though im wrong for considering this. Also the bottle wasnt sealed.

All of the JBCO that I have bought came in a dark brown glass bottle. The color has always been a very faint light brown color and the smell reminds me of **cigarette ashes** :look: but :lick: