Votes: 9 20.0%
  • Curling Iron

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Please 'Splain)

Votes: 5 11.1%

• Total voters

Crackers Phinn

Either A Blessing Or A Lesson.
I received my Sabino Moisture Block in the mail and I'm going to flat iron on Thursday night. My question is I have a Maxiglide which I believe has a 2 inch plate (it's the old one from before they started making 2 sizes). I've used it before but truth be told, I never attempted to snatch my edges with it. Is this even possible for a short hairline? Or do I need to break out the stove top hot comb?

I'll update my fotki with the results.

BTW - I'm so over the threat of heat damage. If my hair gets burnt straight, then to hell with it. It'll just have to be straight.

TIA

aja1121

Does the flat iron have that little extra lip between the plate and the edge? I have a 1 1/4" HAI and it does and a 1 1/4"Solia that does not. Usually that feature determines whether I buy a flat iron. It allows you to get very close to the scalp without burning. So I catch my edges all the time and I think it is best to use close to 1 inches or less.

Last edited:

Extremus

Does the flat iron have that little extra lip between the plate and the edge?

Do you have a picture or something b/c I want to know what your talking about. I'm looking to buy another flat-iron (1in or less) for the very reason JCoily just mentioned. I also have trouble with getting my new growth straight :ohwell: or maybe my flat-ironing skills just suck :look:.

I have a Maxiglide too.

ladylibra

Does the flat iron have that little extra lip between the plate and the edge? I have a 1 1/4" HAI and it does and a 1 1/4"Solia that does not. Usually that feature determines whether I buy a flat iron. It allows you to get very close to the scalp without burning. So I catch my edges all the time and I think it is best to use close to 1 inches or less.

ditto. i've always owned flat irons that had little to no "lip" so that i could straighten my roots better.

JCoily i'm so mad at you... "over the threat of heat damage" :lol:

Soliel185

I use my 1" Sedu and a fine tooth comb. After my hair is straight I push it all back away from my face and separate out very thin layers around the edges. I comb it out away from the rest of my hair with the comb being sure that it's completely detangled and then use the tension and heat from the flat iron to straighten.

I find it easier to get super close to the edges when I pull the flatiron straight up or forward - no backwards to where the rest of my hair is laying. Once it's straight I blend it with the rest.

PinkSkates

Nothing gets my edges straight like my good old fashion hot comb. I have a tiny teeth hot comb and it lays my edges down flat with one swipe of my baby hot comb.

meecee

Oooh I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Has anyone ever seen or used a small electric pressing comb? I'm afraid of the stovetop kind.

DaPPeR

NIBERIANGIRL
Something about this title had me dyin laughin. You better catch them edges :lachen: but on a serious note, a good old fashion hot comb works for me to catch

outspokenwallflower

I chose other because I can catch my edges with a flat iron that is less than an inch AND with a hot comb...I actually recently tried this about a week and a half ago at about 10 1/2 weeks post and it worked great...my roomates were asking if I got a fresh relaxer and when I told them no, they were shocked. They said it was relaxer straight and it definitely felt that way too. :grin: I wanted to make sure I could get to my edges and roots so in preparation I bought a hot comb (not electric though) and a 1/2 inch flat iron...Since I got a little tired and weary of the hot comb (I havent mastered it) I finished off about 75-80% of my hair with the flat iron...it is FABULOUS. I'm seriously in love with it. It is the TS Titan Detailer from Sally's for about $30...:
http://www.sallybeauty.com/miniature-flat-iron/SBS-152803,default,pd.html

Nonie

I was going to say the same thing. If you stretch the hair before clamping with the flat iron and one with a small lip, you can get to the base of your hair and have the lip against your skin w/o burning yourself. It's not like you need to hold the iron against your skin for a long time anyway.

And JC, you're NOT allowed to burn your hair. :bat: The hell? :spank:

longhairlover

you would safely catch your edges with a mini flat iron, linea pro has a min flat iron, and the plates are the smoothest most gentle plates ever, my ends and edges just glided through, marshall's had it for $12!!! originally 60ish.

cutenss

You can do your edges with the maxiglide. I have been using the maxiglide since they came out with it. You will not burn yourself because of the ridges. I also have a miniglide which I use every so often. It works well also. HTH :yep:

BlackMasterPiece

My Hot Tools electric hot comb with 10 heat settings gets them 4b coils at my hair line smooth as silk:yep::lick: I love it becuase you can contol the heat and be certain what the temp is before pressing:yep:

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I bought a babyliss mini titanium for $15 at tjmaxx, used it on Saturday, it worked very very well...and it's so cuuute!

ceebee3

I've had my eye on the croc mini and the GHD mini just for this purpose. I haven't decided which to buy yet.

I have the 1 inch Sedu, but I'll be stretching for almost a year and I'll need something that can get closer to my roots.

Hysi

i almost wanna say "don't so it!" this is how i lost mine, but it was anew one and i didn't know the temp yet. u can look in my profile pics and see before&after how i got wm back teeheee

ChristmasCarol

You guys are brave! I'm deathly afraid of catching my edges. I was burned WAAAY too many times when I was a kid by overzealous "napcatchers" using a straightening comb.
I just put shea butter on them and tie a scarf on while I'm getting ready to go. Never had to worry about thin edges since they are always moisturized and left alone. It works well enough and I like my hair best when it doesn't look too "done".