Cdc Cautions Usa & Canada To Throw Out All Romaine Lettuce

Dposh167

Don't eat romaine lettuce, CDC cautions after E. coli outbreak

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna938606

“If you do not know if the lettuce is romaine or whether a salad mix contains romaine, do not eat it and throw it away," the CDC said.

Federal health officials are warning about a fresh outbreak of E.coli linked to romaine lettuce Tuesday and cautioned people not to eat any romaine lettuce.

At least 32 people are sick, and 13 hospitalized in the outbreak, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said. No one has died.
While the strain of E. coli 0157:H7 seen in this outbreak is different than the one identified in the large outbreak in spring 2018 linked to romaine from the Yuma growing region, it does appear to be similar to the strain that caused a smaller outbreak linked to leafy greens that occurred in the fall of 2017 in both the U.S. and Canada," the FDA said.

"Since these prior outbreaks were identified, the FDA has been working closely with the leafy greens industry and other state and federal partners to implement safety practices that can help further reduce the risk of these types of outbreaks. As a direct response to the outbreaks we have seen, the agency will also begin a special effort to sample and test romaine lettuce for contamination throughout the market."

There's not enough information to identify a specific supplier yet, the FDA said, so it's safest to just thrown out all romaine lettuce for now.

SoniT

Again? It seems like this just happened a few months back. I remember because I had just purchased a Caesar salad kit. I have a Spring mix in the fridge but it doesnt include romaine.

ScorpioBeauty09

Most of the restaurants in my area threw it out because of this recall. Its sucks too because it’s my favorite salad. Same with my sister, mom, SO, SO’s mom.

weaveadiva

Why is this more common with romaine? Is there something different about the way it’s grown or processed compared to other lettuces?
Although this is the second romaine-linked outbreak this year, it is not clear whether romaine lettuce itself is more likely to be contaminated than other vegetables, said Dr. Laura Gieraltowski, leader of the foodborne outbreak response team at the CDC. “It’s something we’ve been asking,” she said.

“It could have to do with the way the lettuce is shaped. (A head of) romaine lettuce is kind of open and maybe contaminated water can get into it more than into a head of iceberg lettuce or cabbage that is in a ball.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/heal...atest-romaine-lettuce-e-coli-outbreak-n939026