Ceramides: My tesitmony and the evolution of my bun (Pics)

halee_J

Don't worry be happy
I want to share my experience over the last 3-4 months, since incorporating ceramides into my reggie.

As someone with coarse hair, relaxed and in the sun and salt water ALOT ceramides have helped me immensely. I used to have trouble maintaining the protein moisture balance, not anymore. My hair responds to protein so much better now, and the moisture retention has definitely improved.

So here's what I've been doing:

I have basically had the same reggie for the last 10 months:

2x a week: Oil (EVOO + castor oil) pre-poo, shampoo, light/medium protein/Moisture DC, water based leave-in, seal with EQP butter and oil (EVOO+castor oil) Aphogee 2 step every 6 weeks, clear rinse every 8 weeks.

Within the last 3 months, I have replaced EVOO and CO with ceramide oils: Rice bran and hempseed oil for pre poo's and sealing, and using a leave-in that contains hemp and wheat germ oil. Also have incorporated condishes with ceramide oils into the rotation( Aubrey Organics and Taliah Waajid Herbal Enhancing Conditioners)

Right the pics: all of these are on airdried hair with EQP mango butter and oil. Combed with a wide toothed comb. I don't brush the length of my hair, and I don't stuff my buns.

Before:

This is what my hair used look like when I tried to coax it into a bun. My hair wasn’t looking awful per se, but it just would not lay down right go into “one”. My NG would shrink up and just not co-operate.

After 2 weeks with ceramides:

After 4 weeks of ceramides:

After 10 weeks of ceramides:

My hair last week ( about 15 weeks)

Over time, my hair has become so much smoother and shinier. My NG can stretch so much easier and it just lays down and smooths out, so my buns look fuller and my relaxed hair airdries frizz-free. Getting my hair in one is no longer a task. I hardly get tangles. Also, I have been using less and less product in my hair as time goes on. I still moisturize daily, but I don’t have to.

I am still in the sun everyday for long periods, but my hair holds up just fine. My hair used to have a burnt smell from being in the sun all day, now all I smell is hair product.

Some links about ceramides:

Sistaslick's ceramides article

Oils that contain ceramides

Reecie's Ceramide Challenge (A nice compliation of products containing ceramides lots of good reviews)

I honestly cannot see how anyone would not benefit from ceramides in their reggie. Check ceramides out if you haven't already :yep:

danigurl18

You make me feel so confident about my hemp seed oil purchase!! How do you make your gorgeous buns by the way and which leave in do you use?

lea86111

hmm, interesting. I've been using wheat germ oil for the past 2 weeks or so. I added some to my conditioners (mane n tail, suave humectant n aussie moist) i don't use it to seal cause 1) it STINKS 2) it STANKS 3) it doesn't do much for sealing. lmao. Next time i'll get hemp seed oil and see what happens

candycan

Thanks for the tip! Can't wait to try products out with this ingredient in it! This made me think of my recent discovery: Behentrimonium choride. I found that it helps with detangling hair and smoothing the cuticle- my comb slides right through! Here's what I found with doing some research:
Properties: Potent conditioner with antistatic & detangling properties, able to restore & rebuild damaged hair (due to colza oil it does not coat but penetrates & substantiates the hair shaft), softening effect, antimicrobial properties

Last edited:

fivetimestwo

Thanks so much for posting this! I am in the process of incorporating more ceramides into my regimen and this lets me know I'm definitely on the right track! Your hair looks great btw! :yep:

VirtuousBeauty

Looks like I need to add ceramides to my reggie. I've been thinking of doing prepoos with oil and maybe trying something other than EVOO to seal when I moisturize

SLOGRO

who knew i gues i'll continue to study what's good for the body

beautiful buns i'm envious..

2inspireU

Your hair is awesome! I cosign with you on ceramides. My hair texture has changed for the better, and I love how easy it is for me to handle my hair as a result.

Lavendar

Wow....that's an amazing difference! Your hair looks great. I have to say I'm experiencing the same thing as you. I've been using hemp seed oil for a couple of years but not consistently. However, once I mixed it with wheat germ oil and started using it consistently in various areas of my regimen, it's like someone turned on the lights! Whoa!

Lita

I want to share my experience over the last 3-4 months, since incorporating ceramides into my reggie.

As someone with coarse hair, relaxed and in the sun and salt water ALOT ceramides have helped me immensely. I used to have trouble maintaining the protein moisture balance, not anymore. My hair responds to protein so much better now, and the moisture retention has definitely improved.

So here's what I've been doing:

I have basically had the same reggie for the last 10 months:

2x a week: Oil (EVOO + castor oil) pre-poo, shampoo, light/medium protein/Moisture DC, water based leave-in, seal with EQP butter and oil (EVOO+castor oil) Aphogee 2 step every 6 weeks, clear rinse every 8 weeks.

Within the last 3 months, I have replaced EVOO and CO with ceramide oils: Rice bran and hempseed oil for pre poo's and sealing, and using a leave-in that contains hemp and wheat germ oil. Also have incorporated condishes with ceramide oils into the rotation( Aubrey Organics and Taliah Waajid Herbal Enhancing Conditioners)

Right the pics: all of these are on airdried hair with EQP mango butter and oil. Combed with a wide toothed comb. I don't brush the length of my hair, and I don't stuff my buns.

Before:

This is what my hair used look like when I tried to coax it into a bun. My hair wasn’t looking awful per se, but it just would not lay down right go into “one”. My NG would shrink up and just not co-operate.

After 2 weeks with ceramides:

After 4 weeks of ceramides:

After 10 weeks of ceramides:

My hair last week ( about 15 weeks)

Over time, my hair has become so much smoother and shinier. My NG can stretch so much easier and it just lays down and smooths out, so my buns look fuller and my relaxed hair airdries frizz-free. Getting my hair in one is no longer a task. I hardly get tangles. Also, I have been using less and less product in my hair as time goes on. I still moisturize daily, but I don’t have to.

I am still in the sun everyday for long periods, but my hair holds up just fine. My hair used to have a burnt smell from being in the sun all day, now all I smell is hair product.

Some links about ceramides:

Sistaslick's ceramides article

Oils that contain ceramides

Reecie's Ceramide Challenge (A nice compliation of products containing ceramides lots of good reviews)

I honestly cannot see how anyone would not benefit from ceramides in their reggie. Check ceramides out if you haven't already :yep:

Great progress! (Nice with a lot of shine)
So do you like Hemp seed better then Wheat germ?

Happy Hair Growing!

janda

Your hair is very pretty. I just recently bought some Wheat Germ Oil and your pictures Re inspiring me to use it. I think I might put some on tonight.

8HoursFromHome

OK OK OK, the pictures sold me. Just bought an 8oz. bottle of hempseed oil. I wonder what it smells like? Does anyone know?

Stella B.

You're so right about the ceramides! They enhance the hair and improve the hair's health. I'm learning about ceramides too, thanks to Reecie's challenge. Your bun is fat and delicious looking! Keep up the great work:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:!!!

melodies815

L'oreal has a great moisturizing ceramide shampoo/conditioner set (the ones in the green, flip-top,1 squeeze containers) and they have a minty, fresh scent. I've been using them for 4-5 months, and I didn't realize that they were probably the reason why I have been able to pull my hair neatly back into a bun. I'm a shoulder-length 4a/b natural and have been having a time managing my hair now that it's grown out quite a bit. Thanks so much for posting this. Now I know I have been doing the right thing for my hair. I just rested on the fact that it felt good, my hair was healthier, and it is much more manageable. Sorry I haven't been on for a good bit...a few months, actually...but it's great to see that we are still learning the best practices for healthy ethnic hair growth!! Great thread, OP!

tnorenberg

Wow! What shine! I have been looking all over for rice bran oil. where did you find yours? i currently use the walnut oil with Amla for sealing and overall oiling. I gotta get into your routine a bit more, girl that shine is blinding. :grin::grin:

2inspireU

Can anyone recommend a good site to buy these oils? Including the Eucalyptus Extract

You would come out better by going to your local health food store. They will have all the oils and they will be organic and unrefined. It is important to get unrefined oils so that the oils contain all their nutritional benefits.

However, if you still want to buy online I suggest:
Mountainroseherbs.com
Fromnaturewithlove.com

Missjae09

this is so exciting! I just recently purchased some hemp seed oil and I've been using it but I'm wondering if i should use more than one ceramide... what do you ladies suggest?

Congrats op.. Your progress is a total inspiration!

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
Thank you so much for this post. I started incorporating WGO the last week of May (after reading TAZ's post about them in the DC's) that I do every other week.

Today I was supposed to do my med. protein but when I looked at my strands they did not feel or look bumpy so I just did a DC with my usual mix of 1T of EVCO/EVOO/WGO. I did not rinse out completly in the front because I wanted to see if it would dry oily, the last time this happened it did not and I wanted to see if it was a fluke. Well it dried nice/smooth and very soft, I was shocked. I was thinking to myself that it was the oils that have my hair looking an feeling better. When I logged on and saw your post I said BINGO it is the oils.

I was just looking at the Talijah Waajid conditioner the other day, now because of you I am going to pick it up tomorrow. I am going to use it the day of washing my hair and maybe in the middle of the week as a moisturizer. I use the protective mist bodifier on my NG and the underprocessed parts of my hair and it is behaving nicely and I am not experiencing the same amount of breakage that I was before.

YAY CERAMIDES!!!!!

Last edited: