Ceramides = Needing Less Protein?

Does Using Ceramides = Needing Less Protein

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

crr0121

Some more info taken from another post...
Interesting (having done a wee bit of googling myself)

The wiki page is most informative, as is this information about ceramides, themselves, from this research paper.

Quote:
Hair fragility is promoted by a multitude of factors such as the excessive, inappropriate or too frequent treatment with chemical products, the combined thermal and mechanical constraints imposed by hairdressing, and the continual exposure to sunlight, especially during the summer months. All of these factors contribute to the cumulative process of impairment of the hair fiber, which weakens its resistance to chemical and physical attack and leads to a general deterioration in the feel and appearance of hair. Polar lipids like ceramides play a vital role in the hair's external protective sheath, the cuticle. The ceramides are essential to the cohesion of the cuticle and maintenance of its protective effect for the hair shaft. Ceramides are known to protect and/or repair the hair fibers from or after attack by the various agents and treatments mentioned above. In particular, they have a barrier effect which limits the loss of proteins; Furthermore, they also reinforce cuticle cohesion, which gives the hair more strength and liveliness. (author abst.)

So basically, it's just another kind of lipid. Interesting. Thanks, again!

So if it helps prevent loss of protein then that makes a lot of sense as to why less protein is needed as well. If you're not losing it, you don't need to replenish it. Perfect explanation to me cuz I know I rarely need protein now.

crr0121

So would this benefit your hair as leave in or dc?
I use a leave in w/ ceramides and a DC but I think the DC is more beneficial. Ceramides are usually in moisturizing DC's so moisture and strength are being soaked in. W/ a leave in, depending on your hair, I don't think they penetrate as well.

gymfreak336

Both really. Ceramides in general take time to really give you the maximum effect. Is there a particular product in your regime now that you are almost out of or something that is just so so and could be replaced? If so, look for a substitute for that with something with ceramides. There are shampoos, conditioners, leave ins, and styling products with ceramides in them so you have a lot of options.

Ltown

Greyland
Both really. Ceramides in general take time to really give you the maximum effect. Is there a particular product in your regime now that you are almost out of or something that is just so so and could be replaced? If so, look for a substitute for that with something with ceramides. There are shampoos, conditioners, leave ins, and styling products with ceramides in them so you have a lot of options.

I never concentrate on this one mostly always look for products with protein but I do have some with it. Now that I know about this I'll make sure the products I select have ceramides. I love leave-ins so this will be a plus.

WaistLengthDreams

OP, Thank you for this thread!! I was wondering about ceramides replacing proteins in my routine all together because since incorporating ceramides into my hair regimen, I've found that my hair reacts badly to my protein reconstructor. Brittle, Whispy, Dry Hair :wallbash: :wallbash: My initial reaction was to stop using proteins all together but maybe I'll consider using protein treatment that's a bit more gentle and maybe only every 8 weeks.

Thanks again for this thread. A lot of great information. :grin: :thankyou: :grin:

gymfreak336

I never concentrate on this one mostly always look for products with protein but I do have some with it. Now that I know about this I'll make sure the products I select have ceramides. I love leave-ins so this will be a plus.

Well if you like leave in's check out the Lanza Color Trauma leave in treatment. It has tons of great things including ceramides. I :love: it. Sedal also makes a leave in with ceramides as well.

Ltown

Greyland
Well if you like leave in's check out the Lanza Color Trauma leave in treatment. It has tons of great things including ceramides. I :love: it. Sedal also makes a leave in with ceramides as well.

Great, I appreciate the information I'll do that.

jahzyira

My hair is addicted to ceramides! :drunk: I use them in almost every aspect of my regimen. Since I found out the hard way my hair is very protein sensitive, I find that ceramides give me the strength that I need. Now I still incorporate protein in my regimen, but its once every 2 or 3 months. I currently use several ceramide conditioners, my hair butter with wheatgerm and eucalyptus oil, ill even add a vial of the Cera repair to my braid spay leave in and my daily moisturizer. After intense repeated use, my fine, fragile strands are so smooth and shiny. At 7 months post, and living in braids, my hair has never been healthier.:yep:

Oh and Definitely add Redken Color Extend Rich Defender:lick: to that list. Its a permanent staple in my product arsenal....

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Nothing scientific, buy IMO, ceramides does equal less protein for me. I think it fills in the breaks in bonds just like protein w/o being too strong. I use the whole Sedal Ceramidas line (minus the shampoo) and used to use the optimum antibreakage w/ ceramides in it and I stopped needing protein at all except for when I use heat back to back or somethin. I think it serves a very similar purpose as protein and therefore protein is not needed as much. I LOVE ceramides and don't even worry about protein at all anymore. Its less harsh and I don't think you can overdo it cuz once your hair is strong and has no breaks, the ceramides will either just coat or wont be absorbed. I NEVER experienced overdrying w/ ceramides like I did w/ protein. Also, my individual strands actually seem to be getting thicker and stronger thanks to ceramides. And I'm natural so idk bout relaxed heads (lye vs. no lye) but I think they can benefit everyone and don't see how they can hurt.

I'm noticing the same thing with my hair. :yep:

I add it to all of my leave in's: My main leave in is a mixture of Elucence MB, wheatgerm oil and JBCO

I have other commercial leave in's that I didn't want to waste so I've *spiked* all of them with wheatgerm oil and JBCO...my hair and my daughter's hair is thanking me :grin:

Some more info taken from another post...

So if it helps prevent loss of protein then that makes a lot of sense as to why less protein is needed as well. If you're not losing it, you don't need to replenish it. Perfect explanation to me cuz I know I rarely need protein now.

IA :up:

OP, Thank you for this thread!! I was wondering about ceramides replacing proteins in my routine all together because since incorporating ceramides into my hair regimen, I've found that my hair reacts badly to my protein reconstructor. Brittle, Whispy, Dry Hair :wallbash: :wallbash: My initial reaction was to stop using proteins all together but maybe I'll consider using protein treatment that's a bit more gentle and maybe only every 8 weeks.

Thanks again for this thread. A lot of great information. :grin: :thankyou: :grin:

I've noticed the same reaction to my protein routine...I have to reevaluate. :perplexed

My hair is addicted to ceramides! :drunk: I use them in almost every aspect of my regimen. Since I found out the hard way my hair is very protein sensitive, I find that ceramides give me the strength that I need. Now I still incorporate protein in my regimen, but its once every 2 or 3 months. I currently use several ceramide conditioners, my hair butter with wheatgerm and eucalyptus oil, ill even add a vial of the Cera repair to my braid spay leave in and my daily moisturizer. After intense repeated use, my fine, fragile strands are so smooth and shiny. At 7 months post, and living in braids, my hair has never been healthier.:yep:

Oh and Definitely add Redken Color Extend Rich Defender:lick: to that list. Its a permanent staple in my product arsenal....

@the bolded in black....experiencing the same reaction :yep::up:

@the bolded in red....I believe I'll have to do the same thing to avoid anymore breakage (after my last usual protein treatment I noticed a little breakage :eek: something I haven't seen in quite awhile.....it makes me think that my incorporating ceramides in my routine is definitely working) :yep::up:

Ganjababy

Does anyone add these oils to there DC's?

Wheat Germ Oil
Barley Malt Oil
Hemp Seed Oil
Walnut Oil
Sunflower Oil
Kukui Oil
Eucalyptus Extract

HeChangedMyName

Silicon Mix Treatment contains ceramides. I'm loving it. I guess that's why my hair is so great when I use it.

I have a leave in by Sedal called Ceramidas. I don't like the smell of it, but I did use it as part of a cowash and noticed that my hair felt extra good.

Does anyone else use ceramidas? Are you suppose to use a lot or a little? It makes my hair strong, but weird and dull when I use it as a leave in.

BTW I really want that rainbow cake. I'm almost motivated to make one this weekend.

crr0121

Silicon Mix Treatment contains ceramides. I'm loving it. I guess that's why my hair is so great when I use it.

I have a leave in by Sedal called Ceramidas. I don't like the smell of it, but I did use it as part of a cowash and noticed that my hair felt extra good.

Does anyone else use ceramidas? Are you suppose to use a lot or a little? It makes my hair strong, but weird and dull when I use it as a leave in.

BTW I really want that rainbow cake. I'm almost motivated to make one this weekend.

I use ceramidas. It's the only DC i use. When it comes 2 the leave-in, I use HE LTR or profectiv breakfree first and then use the ceramidas on top. Idk if that makes much of a diff but i use all 3 of these leave ins cuz my hair craves moisture. Sometimes I mix all 3 and then apply it and my hair never comes out dull or dry. Try using another moisturizing leave in right before it. HTH

Aggie

I have quite a bit of products that I use containing ceramides but I also use a protein treatment every wash day. My hair is fine and loves protein, specifically mild reconstructor conditioners like Aphogee 2 minutes reconstructor treatment, Duo Tek, CON Reconstructor, etc... as long as it's mild.

aa9746

Does anyone add these oils to there DC's?

Wheat Germ Oil
Barley Malt Oil
Hemp Seed Oil
Walnut Oil
Sunflower Oil
Kukui Oil
Eucalyptus Extract

After rereading this thread, I think I will buy some wheat germ oil and add it to my dcs. Is anyone using these oils directly on the hair??????

taz007

After rereading this thread, I think I will buy some wheat germ oil and add it to my dcs. Is anyone using these oils directly on the hair??????
I just mixed some castor oil, EVOO and wheat germ oil for a hot oil treatment and it made my hair really shiny and strong!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My Next Ceramides Power-Packed :boxing:Oil I invest in will probably be Kukui Nut.

I have a Couple Conditioners now that contain Kukui Nut and Kukui Nut is suppose to be 'loaded' with Ceramides.:lick:

Recently picked up Hempseed and Safflower (as I am almost finished with my bottle of Wheat Germ) and wanted to try these two for the Ceramides properties.:yep:

LushLox

My Next Ceramides Power-Packed :boxing:Oil I invest in will probably be Kukui Nut.

I have a Couple Conditioners now that contain Kukui Nut and Kukui Nut is suppose to be 'loaded' with Ceramides.:lick:

Recently picked up Hempseed and Safflower (as I am almost finished with my bottle of Wheat Germ) and wanted to try these two for the Ceramides properties.:yep:

Oh I recently bought this, it's good. I forgot to tell y'all. :blush: Seriously!

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Oh I recently bought this, it's good. I forgot to tell y'all. :blush: Seriously!

Chile, You know You can't be "Holding Out" on Crucial Information:sekret:

I have that L'anza Kukui Nut DC and I also have a Paul Brown Hawaii Conditioner that contains Kukui Nut.:yep:

Kukui Nut is suppose to be very high in Ceramides........................

LushLox

Chile, You know You can't be "Holding Out" on Crucial Information:sekret:

I have that L'anza Kukui Nut DC and I also have a Paul Brown Hawaii Conditioner that contains Kukui Nut.:yep:

Kukui Nut is suppose to be very high in Ceramides........................

To be honest I've been using it more on my face than I have on my hair, it's fantastic for the skin, has some good smoothing properties! Will start incorporating into my hair regi, not sure how though - it's difficult when you've got so much stuff that you like to use! :lol:

Aggie

Tsk, tsk ....:naughty:

You will be forgiven this once...

Wiping out the credit card and googling Kukui Nut.:look:

I have the kukui Nut oil by Alba Botanica. I got it from www.vitacost.com. It has sunflower oil, vitamin E, Coconut oil, macadamia seed oil, kukui seed oil, flaxseed oil, and sweet almond oil in it. It's organic, 100% vegetarian ingredients, and is paraben-free. To be honest, it smells yummy, like chocolate and cocoa butter:lick:. I really really like it as a sealant oil.

I have tried and do love the sunflower oil in my DC. It left my hair feeling very soft and easy to detangle. I haven't tried the Kukui Nut Oil in my DC as yet but I have a wonderful feeling that I would love it when I do. I need to get my hand on some wheat germ and hemp oils next. These are the only other 2 ceramide oils that I want.

Ganjababy

I just bought some walnut oil from the supermarket (after reading this thread it was the only one I could get my hands on immediately). I used it to seal and it is nice so far. I will also add it to my next DC. I will be trying out the wheatgerm and kukui oils but I have to get those online.

newports

i think i will buy some wheat germ oil, kukui nut oil because it sounds like ceramides has been the long lost missing link to my hair.

MizzCoco

I just mixed some castor oil, EVOO and wheat germ oil for a hot oil treatment and it made my hair really shiny and strong!
Hey Taz, I've been wanting to use my new wheat germ oil for a HOT, what were the ratios you used? I started to just experiment, but that WGO seems a little thick and waxy! TIA

Aggie

You will love the Kukui Nut Oil Terri. It smells absolutley delicious and goes on very smooth and it leaves my hair nice and soft too. I got mine from vitacost and the brand I have is Alba Botanica. It's your fault I like the leave-in :giggle: so I thought I'd try the Kukui oil and sure enough, I really :love: it.

Last edited:

taz007

Hey Taz, I've been wanting to use my new wheat germ oil for a HOT, what were the ratios you used? I started to just experiment, but that WGO seems a little thick and waxy! TIA

I kind of eye balled it but I definitely used less WGO due to the smell and stickiness. I probably used 1/4 cup of EVOO, two tablespoons of JBCO and two tablespoons of WGO.

HTH

MizzCoco

I kind of eye balled it but I definitely used less WGO due to the smell and stickiness. I probably used 1/4 cup of EVOO, two tablespoons of JBCO and two tablespoons of WGO.

HTH
That smell makes me physically ill :barf:! Thanks I can't wait to try it!