Ceramides/Wheat Germ Oil

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
It's Good We're All as BW taking a Pro-Active Approach to Incorporating Ceramides into our Regular Regimen and Getting Ahead of the Ceramide Curve.

You know things seem to hit "Us" Twice as Hard as a Community, so we need to be Educated.:ohwell:

I've also noticed alot of Advertisements talking about "Ceramides Technology" in the products they're advertising, so this is a pretty big deal.:yep:

I've also heard the focus being on Keratin. How we also lose Keratin in our Strands overtime as well, which may also contribute to some of the problems we experience.:yep:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I also wanted to mention....please don't Sleep on Other Oils/Products containing Ceramides:

Wheat Germ Oil
Walnut Oil
Sunflower Oil
Kukui Oil
Hempseed Oil* which I am currently using.:yep:

flowinlocks

It's Good.....:yep:

But if you Think Wheat Germ Oil smells bad =:thud:

I think Taz007 and a coupla' other Ladies are currently using it and Walnut Oil as well.

Lol, ordered the wheat germ and hemp oils last night. I hope I can handle them. I'm thinking of mixing them in my dc or using them as a prepoo before cowashing.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Lol, ordered the wheat germ and hemp oils last night. I hope I can handle them. I'm thinking of mixing them in my dc or using them as a prepoo before cowashing.

:yep:They Both Perform Incredibly Well despite their smell:look:

I think I may purchase Kukui Nut next.

Salsarisma

I bought Wheat Germ Oil from Vitamin Shoppe the other day. I used it in my pre poo treatment and I sealed with it once. It added a lot of shine to my hair, but I need to use it some more before rating it.

simplyconfident

I'm so happy to hear many other ladies are having great results! I'm still loving how my hair is responding (low/no breakage, increased elacity, high shine). Good point on the bad smell, I'm not sure how I left that out.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
It's great we're all being proactive especially since we know that things essential to the overall well-being of our hair such as; ceramides, keratin, collagen, elasticity and other things diminish in our hair over time and through either what we're using or the Elements i.e. pollution, sunlight, water, etc..:grin:

simplyconfident

Ok so I just got to work and have no business being on here but the second I saw that someone had started a wheatgerm thread I couldnt help myself.

l LOVE the stuff :lick:

I just want to caution you all about overdosing on it the way I did :rolleyes:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=459438&highlight=

Ok I gotta run ...but I will definately come back to read over all the info later.

*subscribing*

thanx for the link. I will keep a look out to make sure I OD on moisture. When I added WGO into my reggie I also started to incorporate protein more regularly.

camilla

I use wheat germ oil regularly. It is in most of my hair concoctions.

If I use too much - um - it does not rinse well...
I flat ironed for easter - and had too much oil left in my hair... :nono:

But - My hair feels stronger and is very sleek....
I love WGO!
:hiya: Hey luckys mom idk you yt'ed im so on it !!!your knowledge has helped me SOOOO much since i was a little newbie:lachen:

LaidBak

Do you think that refined Wheat Germ oil would give the same benefits? I really want to seal with this daily, but the smell is preventing that. Anybody use the unrefined version?

"Wheat germ oil (solvent free, refined)

Wheat Germ Oil (refined) is expeller pressed without the use of chemical solvents. This oil is light yellow in color and does not have the characteristic strong odor of unrefined wheat germ oil. Wheat Germ is rich in octacosanol�a potent source of energy prized by athletes; it is also rich in naturally occurring antioxidants including vitamin E and beta carotene, and also contains naturally-occurring phosphatides and phytosterols which assist in the digestion of fats. It has excellent skin care properties due to its low odor and good spread-ability. May be used in cosmetics, toiletries, soaps, OTC pharmaceuticals, sun care and nutraceuticals to enhance cellular health. Suggested Use Levels: Lotions & Creams: 5-15% , Balms: 5-10%, Bar Soaps: 5-10%, Hair Conditioners: 5-8%. SAP value: 180-200. INCI = Triticum Vulgare {wheat} Germ Oil. "
http://www.camdengrey.com/essential...eat-germ-oil.html?attribute=weight&value=8_oz

Last edited:

Urban

I use a coconut oil/wheat germ oil combo on my hair everyday and my hair loves it! Some Mizani products also use ceramide technology and that's the main reason why I use their line. I read somewhere that the weakest points in the hair strand, the ones very prone to breakage, have low to no ceramides left in them.

This is exactly what I do as well. Everyday. My hair loves it and so does my skin. My hair is strong, elastic and moisturized. My skin is so smooth :yep:

L.Brown1114

LOVED this oil when i was natural, it was VERY moisturizing but now sense im texlaxed ill probably switch it as a prepoo if it makes my hair look bad by sealing

2inspireU

Which form of ceramide do you use?

I use Skala Ceramide G3 leave-in, mask, and conditioner, hemp seed oil, wheat germ oil, rice bran oil, and AO conditioners.

Should it be used to seal with?

You can if you like. However, serums work best for my hair when it comes to sealing.

Do you add it to your conditioner or prepoo?

Yes, I add my oils to DC and conditioner.However, I have yet to pre-poo with them because that is what I use my Indian oils for. I might try the EVOO/WGO pre-poo on my hair and my Indian oils on my scalp to try it out.

Do you add it to your relaxer (if your relaxed)?
N/A

Is it considered a strengthening/protein like agent or more moisturizing?

It adds strength and moisture to hair.

Are there any special precautions to take with this oil (i.e. need to clarify more often due to build up)?

No.

How often do you use it?

Everyday.

How is your hair responding?

My hair texture is the best I can ever remember, and now handling it is no longer a chore.

SimJam

Which form of ceramide do you use?
WGO to seal hair and in DCs
Garnier fructis melting lask with ceramedes - DC
will be adding hemp seed oil to alternate

Should it be used to seal with?
I use WGO to seal with

Do you add it to your conditioner or prepoo?
I add to my regular condish for a quick DC

Do you add it to your relaxer (if your relaxed)?
N/A

Is it considered a strengthening/protein like agent or more moisturizing?

I believe its more of a stregthning agaent LIKE protein but should not be used as a replacement for it. From what I read, the 2 complement each other

I dont believe its moisturizing, but it helps the hair to retain more moisture

Are there any special precautions to take with this oil (i.e. need to clarify more often due to build up)?
I think I read that ceramides can buld up on hair strands so u have to clarify

How often do you use it?
every day to seal after moiturizing my hair and every week with my DCs - moisture and protein

How is your hair responding?
feels more silky
less frizzy
retains moisture better (I dont have to moisture/seal 2 times per day when I moisturize in the night, i good to go for the whole day.... infact I have gone 2 days without moisturize/sealing and my hair didnt throw a fit !!!

Br*nzeb*mbsh~ll

I take wheat germ oil in my Waistlength Cocktail daily, and my skin and is smooth and plump and succulent...if i get a blemish, it virtually disappears - 'magically'. My hair has GREAT elasticity and shine...i'm stopped on the streets so often for compliments on my hair and skin - so often.

check us out "Drink yourself to waistlength hair...I am!"

you'll heart heart heart the results.

keelioness

I take wheat germ oil in my Waistlength Cocktail daily, and my skin and is smooth and plump and succulent...if i get a blemish, it virtually disappears - 'magically'. My hair has GREAT elasticity and shine...i'm stopped on the streets so often for compliments on my hair and skin - so often.

check us out "Drink yourself to waistlength hair...I am!"

you'll heart heart heart the results.

Do you use WGO topically as well or only internally? I'd like to start taking WGO internally as well

sheba1

This is exactly what I do as well. Everyday. My hair loves it and so does my skin. My hair is strong, elastic and moisturized. My skin is so smooth :yep:

I use a coconut oil/wheat germ oil combo on my hair everyday and my hair loves it! Some Mizani products also use ceramide technology and that's the main reason why I use their line. I read somewhere that the weakest points in the hair strand, the ones very prone to breakage, have low to no ceramides left in them.

How do you keep this combo of coconut oil and wgo, please? Do you find that you must refrigerate it? If so, does the coconut oil get very hard when you do?

I would imagine the anti bacterial and anti microbial properties of the coconut oil might help the wgo to last a bit longer, even if not refrigerated. Do you mind sharing your findings?

Urban

How do you keep this combo of coconut oil and wgo, please? Do you find that you must refrigerate it? If so, does the coconut oil get very hard when you do?

I would imagine the anti bacterial and anti microbial properties of the coconut oil might help the wgo to last a bit longer, even if not refrigerated. Do you mind sharing your findings?

Hi Sheba,

Because there is no water in my oils, I find I never have to refrigerate them or put a preservative. Without water, bacteria would have a real hard time growing in there. I don't have a ready made batch either, I just scoop out a bit of coconut oil (with a spoon), pour a bit of wheatgerm on top and mix it in my hand.

I have been considering making small batches. I just need to get containers. I'll let you know how those work out once I start.

CaliDiamond

Which form of ceramide do you use?-Wheat germ oil..I ran out of my hempseed oil, but this is just as good!
Should it be used to seal with? I dont use it to seal with because it is a little too heavy for my fine strands, but if you have coarser strands I would recommend it.
Do you add it to your conditioner or prepoo? -I add it to my DC's
Do you add it to your relaxer (if your relaxed)?N/A Transitioning.
Is it considered a strengthening/protein like agent or more moisturizing?-Kinda feels like both sometimes, but I believe it has more moisturizing properties.
Are there any special precautions to take with this oil (i.e. need to clarify more often due to build up)? If you are allergic to wheat, I would steer clear as this might trigger allergies.
How often do you use it?-Every few days
How is your hair responding?-Fabulously! It retains moisture better and the shine is ridiculous.