Ceramides/Wheat Germ Oil

simplyconfident

Hello ladies,

I tried doing a search and a lot of the information that I've found has been limited and/or dated. So I thought it would be a good I idea to start a new thread w/ more recent experiences.

I wanted to get a current view on how everyone is using ceramides in their reggie. After reading Little Golden Lambs blog on this interesting oil and went out and purchased some wheat germ oil (WGO) from Vitamin Shopp. I also purchased Aubrey Organics White Camellia which also contains WGO (my hair adored this conditioner by the way, it's a new staple:grin:). I also used a small amount of the WGO to seal with last night after and my hair is still so very shiny, soft, and moisturized. However, I'm not sure if this oil should be used in any other particular way. I've only used two other oils (coconut which my hair hated and turned into a brick & JBCO which was not all that IMO). I guess I'm a little worried that the WGO is going to be my night in shining amour today and then turn into a toad in three days like the coconut oil did:sad:.

Sorry for the small talk; my question is how should I incorporate the WGO oil into my reggie?:rolleyes:

Which form of ceramide do you use?
Should it be used to seal with?
Do you add it to your conditioner or prepoo?
Do you add it to your relaxer (if your relaxed)?
Is it considered a strengthening/protein like agent or more moisturizing?
Are there any special precautions to take with this oil (i.e. need to clarify more often due to build up)?
How often do you use it?
How is your hair responding?

Last edited:

MAMATO

I lovwe WGO, that is my favorite above olive, coconut and castor oils. I only prepoo with it since it is quite stinky and too moisturizing when used too regularly. Moisture, Shine and Elasticity guaranteed :)

Americka

Waiting for T to run in here....

I use Skala's Ceramides G3 masque. I DC with a heat cap using this product on a weekly basis. If you ever run across any, don't let the thin watery consistency fool ya. I haven't tried any oils that contain Ceramides yet, but I've got my eye on sunflower oil. :lick:

hair4romheaven

I use wheat germ oil in my DC when steaming w/ QH cholesterol. I also add a little coconut oil OR olive oil. My hair feels very soft.. it melts my NG if that makes sense. LOL

simplyconfident

Waiting for T to run in here....

I use Skala's Ceramides G3 masque. I DC with a heat cap using this product on a weekly basis. If you ever run across any, don't let the thin watery consistency fool ya. I haven't tried any oils that contain Ceramides yet, but I've got my eye on sunflower oil. :lick:

I did a Google search of this product and very looks tempting. :yep:

Product description from website:

Skala Ceramides products for damaged hair are formulated specifically to restore your hair’s strength, vitality and shine. These intensive treatments are enriched with G3, a Third Generation Sealant that seals hair cuticles and strengthens hair structure, leaving the hair stronger while preventing ceramides loss.
The price is for sure on point!!! At $5.99 you just can't help to want to try it just once!

Americka

I did a Google search of this product and very looks tempting. :yep:

Product description from website:

Skala Ceramides products for damaged hair are formulated specifically to restore your hair’s strength, vitality and shine. These intensive treatments are enriched with G3, a Third Generation Sealant that seals hair cuticles and strengthens hair structure, leaving the hair stronger while preventing ceramides loss.
The price is for sure on point!!! At $5.99 you just can't help to want to try it just once!

I got mine at Big Lots for only a buck! If you live near one, try there first! And if they have a lot, let me know so I can buy some from ya! :lachen:

lwilliams1922

I got mine at Big Lots for only a buck! If you live near one, try there first! And if they have a lot, let me know so I can buy some from ya! :lachen:

anyone have a photo of it? I'll add biglots to my list of things to do tomorrow.
I won't feel so bad about the pj problem if I can find some thing for a buck.@ lol

frizzy

I use hempseed oil, Biolage Cera repair, and various Domincan conditioners.
No, I seal this product into my hair.
I do add it to my DC's if it not already in the product. I don't necessarily use it weekly, but I do use ceramides regularly.
No, I don't add anything to my relaxers.
I believe it adds health to the hair, in the form of moisture and strength.
Are there any special precautions to take with this oil (i.e. need to clarify more often due to build up)?
No special precautions needed. It doesn't make the hair hard or anything like that.
How often do you use it?
I use ceramids regularly. I recently added a half a vial of the Biolage stuff to my SAA and water mist, tomorrow I will add some pathenol to it, too.
I've been using these products for over a year. My hair is in great conditon, I hardly have any breakage and my hair feels wonderful. The only setback I have had is a pair of scissors in my own hands. :wallbash:

outspokenwallflower

I use Biolage's Fortetherapie line (wanna get the cera repair tubes tho!) : strengthening shampoo, fortifying masque, fortifying leave in and fortifying heat styler, as well as a Biolage styling serum called 'Cera-Heat' Thermal-active repair gloss. All of these products are said to strengthen and moisture the hair with ceramides.

I've been happy so far; I'm seeing less fall out than I did before using this line, so I look forward to seeing what condition my hair is in after using it for a month or so. :)

I'd love to try WGO though!

charmtreese

My favorite daily product Moroccanoil glimmer spray contains WGO and this stuff is AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It makes my hair smooth as silk. This is the only product that I use to daily style my hair with!

Ooops I didn't answer your questions:

Which form of ceramide do you use? I use products that contain ceramides: Mizani H20 Night time, Matrix biolage hydratherapie Cera-Repair and Moroccanoil Glimmer Shine spray
Should it be used to seal with? The only one I use to "seal" with is Mizani H20 night time, but thats only because I do my normally nightly regimen and use this product last. I'm not intentionally trying to use this to seal.
Do you add it to your conditioner or prepoo? Nope
Do you add it to your relaxer (if your relaxed)? Nope
Is it considered a strengthening/protein like agent or more moisturizing? Mizani H20 IMO is more Strengthening, Hydratherapie is moisturizing, Moroccanoil Glimmer Shine is moisturizing
Are there any special precautions to take with this oil (i.e. need to clarify more often due to build up)? Nope
How often do you use it? Mizani - a couple times a week, Hydratherapie - weekly, Moroccanoil Glimmer Shine - Daily
How is your hair responding? GREAT!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

lovegymnasts

When I was researching wheat germ oil, so I could determine whether to use it or not, I found the following information:
1. "Do not heat wheat germ oil. Its valuable qualities break down in high heat." The article did not say what constitutes high heat but to be on the safe side, I do not put it in my deep conditioner.
2. "Refrigeration is highly recommended. Wheat germ oil does not have a long shelf life and will turn rancid." I keep mine in the fridge.
3. Ceramides hold in moisture.

How often do you use it? I use it every day in my spray bottle mixture.
How is your hair responding? I have only been using it for two weeks; so I don't know yet. So far so good.

LaidBak

I'm surprised Teri hasn't chimed in yet...

Hello ladies,

Which form of ceramide do you use? Wheat Germ oil from the Vitamin Shoppe

Should it be used to seal with? I can't use it alone because it smells. But I use it mixed with another fragrant oil mixture on my roots/NG.

Do you add it to your conditioner or prepoo? Yes, I add it to my DCs

Do you add it to your relaxer (if your relaxed)? Never even thought of it.

I really hope its not a protein. I was under the impression that it was something that added flexibility more so than strength.

How often do you use it? As needed to moisturize. Every time I DC.

How is your hair responding? Too soon to tell really. But the first time I DC'd with it my hair was butta soft.

Last edited:

biancaelyse

I've been eyeing WGO for a minute but I already have a bunch of coconut oil, grapeseed oil and rice bran oil to use up 1st.

Rice Bran Oil and Grapeseed Oil are sooo good on my hair and skin!!

I really want to try it though.....

simplyconfident

Thanks for all the great info. It seems like everyone is having positive results with ceramides. My hair is still looking and feeling great with little to know breakage which is very rare for me. I plan to continue the use of cermides in my reggie for all of April to do a better assessment of the product.

Anyother reviews would be appreciated :)

Coffee

Has anyone used Matrix Biolage Rejuvatherapie Age Rejuvenating Densifying Concentrate? It also has Ceramides in it. I am waiting for my order to arrive.

aa9746

lurking: I already use AO White Camellia but i bought Wheat germ oil for the first time today! Thinking about adding it to my conditioners.

mzsophisticated26

awesome thread, I was just thinking about incorporating Ceramides and Pathenol in my reggie to see if I can get some thickness. The only I have right now with Ceramides is Silicone mix. Ladies keep it coming!

lovegymnasts

Wheat Germ Oil Profile

Botanical Name- Triticum vulgare
Origin- USA
Extraction- Cold Pressed/Unrefined
Shelf life- 6-8 months
Kosher Certified- No
Notes- Unrefined Wheat Germ oil is a very sensitive oil that will degrade quickly when exposed to extremes in temperature fluctuation, oxidization and light. Refrigeration is highly recommended. Because of its unrefined nature, this oil is very dark in color and heavy in odor. Suitable for food and cosmetic use, however, it should not be used by those with wheat or gluten allergies, either externally or internally.

Specifications
Color- Amber/Brown
Odor- Heavy
Free Fatty Acids- 0.3
Peroxide Value- 2.7
Non-Saponifiables- 3.6
Saponification Value- 180-195
Iodine Value- 130.6
Specific Gravity- 0.92
pH- 4.25
Vitamin E Content- 415 IU/100g
Alpha Tocopherols- 334 IU/100g
Beta and Gamma Tocopherols- 26 IU/100g

Fatty Acids
Oleic- 31-33%
Palmitic- 12-13%
Linoleic- 56.7%
Linolenic- 1%

An Introduction
Wheat Germ Oil is widely used as both a cosmetic ingredient and as a dietary supplement. It is naturally rich in Vitamins A, D, and E, and also contains Vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, F, Essential Fatty Acids, protein, and minerals. Because of its anti-oxidant and regenerative properties, Wheat Germ Oil is a wonderful ingredient to add to bodycare and cosmetic products.

Medical and Cosmetic Use
Wheat Germ Oil contains high levels of Vitamin E Oil, as well as other vitamins, minerals, protein, and Essential Fatty Acids. Essential Fatty Acids support physiological functions, and are essential for the health of our organs and overall health. They cannot be produced by our own bodies, and instead must be obtained from dietary sources. Wheat Germ Oil contains linoleic, oleic, palmitic, and stearic fatty acids. These are needed for our cardiovascular, immune, nervous, reproductive systems, and to maintain healthy cells and body functions.
The Vitamin E Oil present in Wheat Germ Oil promotes skin cell formation, and is great for nourishing and rejuvenating dry, mature, dehydrated skin, and reducing scars, stretch marks, sunburns, and damaged skin. It has anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant effects, which may be beneficial medicinally as well as in cosmetics. The high Vitamin E content in Wheat Germ Oil is a natural preservative, helps to prevent rancidity, and prolongs the shelf life of cosmetic products.

Specifically, Wheat Germ Oil has been shown to be effective for the following conditions:

* Dry and cracked skin
* Eczema
* Psoriasis
* Prematurely aged skin
* Stretch marks
* Dull complexion
* Tired and overexerted muscles
* Sunburn and burns
* Scars
* Poor blood circulation
* Improves lymph function
* High cholesterol levels

Usage Instructions
Wheat Germ Oil can be taken alone, drizzled on top of salads, vegetables, pasta, pesto, or other meals. Wheat Germ Oil should not be heated.
For massage oil blends, it is recommended that you incorporate 10-15% Wheat Germ Oil into your oil blend. The dark color and heavy odor must be considered before using it.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Sorry for the small talk; my question is how should I incorporate the WGO oil into my reggie?:rolleyes:

How often do you use it?

1) I've been using Wheat Germ Oil, Hemp Seed Oil and various Conditioning products that also contain Ceramides. i.e. Matrix Biolage & others

2) I use it for HOTs (Hot Oil Treatments) and to Seal

3) I have added it to various *meh* Conditioners that I was trying to get rid of to give it (them) that extra-added something

4) Have never added it to Relaxer (I am relaxed) but I have added a Splash or 2 to my Henna.

5) Would consider it a binding oil (if that makes sense) a lipid to help keep moisture locked in while keeping hair strong at the same time *will come back and repost a helpful article that explains ceramides*

6) No Special Precautions for Me. I found it to be very user Friendly

7) Used a bit daily

8) Hair is noticably more shiny, vibrant and IMO a good improvement in Overall Health & Appearance

:grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

calibella218

Has anyone used Matrix Biolage Rejuvatherapie Age Rejuvenating Densifying Concentrate? It also has Ceramides in it. I am waiting for my order to arrive.

I do not use that specific product but I use the masque from that line - the Biolage Age Rejuvenating Intensive Masque, it also has ceramides. I really like it and my hair feels great after using it but it comes in a small 5 oz. jar (for $22 @ my local BSS) and I use it up too quickly to keep repurchasing it.

I use the Hydratherapie Cera-Repair about once a month. I also use Matrix Sleek.Look conditioner and the Sleek.Look treatment (tubes like the cera-repair) to DC, those have ceramides. My hair definitely retains moisture better when using these products and it feels strong without being hard/brittle.

I have not tried WGO but I would like to. I also DC weekly with the Matrix Biolage Conditioning Balm but I do not know if this product contains ceramides. Can you tell I love Matrix products?!:lick:

ETA: I'd also like to add that since using ceramides regularly my hair has been able to hold the curls and/waves from my rollerset much longer - it feels like the elasticity of my hair has greatly improved. Before, my hair would NEVER hold any type of curl or style.

Last edited:

aa9746

Had to come back and post: Tried the WGO in my AO White Camelia conditioner and i've been sealing my hair with it. I notice that my natural 4ab hair feels instantly softer so it's now my new staple with Castor oil!

Lucky's Mom

I use wheat germ oil regularly. It is in most of my hair concoctions.

If I use too much - um - it does not rinse well...
I flat ironed for easter - and had too much oil left in my hair... :nono:

But - My hair feels stronger and is very sleek....
I love WGO!

2inspireU

I used Wheat Germ oil so far mixed in my DC, to pre-poo, and to seal my hair. My hair is so soft. However, the smell I can miss, but I'm still going to use it because it makes my hair so soft.

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
I use a coconut oil/wheat germ oil combo on my hair everyday and my hair loves it! Some Mizani products also use ceramide technology and that's the main reason why I use their line. I read somewhere that the weakest points in the hair strand, the ones very prone to breakage, have low to no ceramides left in them.