Change in thickness causing styling problems

starfish79

So, I thought I got my reggie down so I mostly lurk on this side but, last year I noticed that my hair was starting to grow in much thicker. I've been natural for about 10 years and I haven't changed anything in how I care for my hair. This new 4-6 inches stays puffy and doesn't really curl like the bottom half of my hair. It kinda looks like I've been overzealous with a pick in order to get more volume at my roots! :) Also this new growth sucks up product, I feel like I need to use 2-3 time more to adequately moisturize it. Anyone else experience this? Do you have any tips on products or how to style to get more definition at the roots so the curl of the whole strand is uniform? Thanks ladies!

ms.blue

Has your reggie change such as eliminating or drastically reducing heat? I drastically reduced the amount of heat especially flatironing and I have about 6-7" of hair that is poofy and thicker than the rest of the strands. While wet, the hair looks the same but dry, the difference can be seen. I have just doing flat twist outs using small flexi rods at the ends so the hair could look more uniform. I also put more product on the thicker hairs, smoothing the products gradually to the ends. This has helped to get a more uniform look.

starfish79

I was using heat 2-3 times a year but I have only straightened my hair once in the past 18-24 months because I prefer it curly. Doesn't seem like a huge difference but maybe that's it. I'm now revisiting some products that I liked previously but that we're too heavy for my hair.