Check Your Stylist's Definition of Split Ends

adamseve

Today I went to the stylist that did my BC for me just to make sure I was on track with my hair after 8 months of being completely natural. One of the things I wanted to make sure of was whether or not I was snipping SSKs or split ends.

Well, I was armed with my pics of split ends and explained to her what I felt in my hair before clipping ends that had a split end, so I thought. It turns out I was snipping SSKs and not split ends. The SSKs just looked like split ends because of how my hair curled into a knot on itself. I was thanking God for that :)

Any who, I asked her to take a look at my ends just to make sure I didn't have any split ends. I was 99% sure I didn't have any split ends, but I wanted to find out what she felt/thought were split ends BEFORE I allowed her to trim my hair on my 1 year nappiversary. She looked at my ends and promptly told me I had split ends until I asked her pointed questions to refute what she was trying to telling me. Here's the convo:

Her: Here's how you can tell you have split ends: Grab a small section of your hair and if you see a gap in the length of your hair that means you have split ends.

Me: Huh? That doesn't make sense to me. From my understanding, a split end has 2 or more ends because the individual strand has begun to separate into multiple strands that look like a "Y" or maybe even a "W". Here's what I see in this section: different lengths of perfectly healthy hair with no split ends.

I mean, if what you're saying is true then that means you'd have to cut of about 1/2 inch of healthy ends to make that length match the shorter length. Why not just trim the shorter hair since that's where the purported damage is located? Right? Before you answer, please take a look at the individual strands of this section because that's how I go through my hair to find damaged ends.

Her: Yes, hair does grow at different lengths, but in cosmetology school they taught us how to identify split ends this way. So you look at each individual strand? Hmm...Let me see.

(She precedes to look at my individual strands as I watch her through my hand held mirror to make sure she's not doing anything funky in my hair and to see if she's really looking).

Me: I don't see any split ends. What do you see?

Her: No, they don't have the 2 ends like a split end, but there's a reason why this short hair is shorter than the long hair. It must not be getting something it needs.

Me: The short hair gets the same stuff the longer hair gets. No one's hair is going to be the SAME LENGTH all over...Hair may grow on average about 1/2" a month, but that doesn't mean ALL of my hair is going to be the same length. Right?

Her: True, but? Well, you're supposed to have a trim every 6 weeks to keep your hair growing properly.

Me: I will only get a trim in the areas that need a trim. It makes no sense to cut perfectly healthy hair just for the sake of getting a trim. I haven't seen you in 8 months and my hair is healthy, not breaking, and no split ends and as you can see it's growing. What do you make of that?

Her: It is growing.

Me: OK...So, I'm doing something right.

Her: Yep, you're doing a good job. Most people don't know as much as you do.

Me: Thanks...I appreciate your help. You've given me a lot to think about.

Her: Can't wait to see what your hair looks like in May when you come back.

Me: I can't wait to see what it looks like too. How much do I owe you?

Her: Nothing but a hug. You made my day!

Ladies, y'all know ole girl is not going any where near my hair on my nappiversary. I will be self trimming for the rest of my life! I was floored that she never took the time to really study what a split end looked like so that she could properly diagnose her clients needs. She used to style natural hair in MD and seemed pretty knowledgeable about products, sulfate free, etc., but this was an area that she really didn't get. I realize now that this is why so many people end up with CUTS instead of TRIMS. They're not looking at the ends per se...They're looking at the gaps between the lengths to determine what they've been taught are split ends. In actuality it's just different lengths of hair.

This visit taught me a lot about our stylists and the level of personal thought they put into their craft: not a lot at all for most of them.

SimpleKomplexity

LOL I love it how you used positive reinforcement to show her something new, but stroke her ego by saying "Me: Thanks...I appreciate your help. You've given me a lot to think about". She probably did learn a lot today and think twice with her other customers.

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
That is so surprising, the way she was taught to identify a split end. It goes to show you that they dont pick up a book after school.

Good for you that you stood strong and had her do a real inspection.

chelseatiara

wait, you mean to tell me my hair's completely healthy? just different lengths? (because i dont see any splits or knots!) hot dog this day just keeps getting better and better!! :)

manter26

No stylist is going to look through individual strands on each clients head. It makes perfect sense to me to trim to the shorter hairs. Split ends will travel up or stick out or break off...all of which make the ends shorter.

I'd rather have even, blunt ends than shift through individual strands anyway. Hair looks healthier IMO when the ends look good. Every 6 weeks is too often, though. I'm glad she listened to you though and didn't insist she cut.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

My Friend

What stylist know about hair reflects what they learn in school and what is in the textbook. Why would a stylist assume that the 20k and 18 months they spend on and in school was not all wrong? Advance classes do not teach you about split ends:nono:

I'm glad you were able to plant a seed and now maybe she will find LHCF:yep:

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
That is so surprising, the way she was taught to identify a split end. It goes to show you that they dont pick up a book after school.

Good for you that you stood strong and had her do a real inspection.

That same thing happened to me this week. I am in cosmo school this year and asked my teacher to give me a trim. She promptly told me that ALL of my hair is split and that I needed to get at least 2" cut off. I started to look at my hair and I told her I don't see ANY split ends ( I dust regularly). Then she showed me how "thin" my ends were and that I must have split ends. She told me I need to condition my hair. After I went into detail with my regimen then she says that my hair needs to be relaxed to the end because it's reverted back to natural! :rolleyes::nono:

At that point I said to myself she's an incompetent idiot who does not need to be in my hair. I let her trim the very last layer of my hair and that's it. I could tell I intimidated her too with the stares and questions I asked her. She didn't know what the hell she was talking about and she knew I knew it.

Mind you she is my INSTRUCTOR at cosmo school. There's a whole lot of incompetent stylists out there. I plan to make serious $$ from their stupidity too!:grin:

topnotch1010

Real Housewife of Houston
What stylist know about hair reflects what they learn in school and what is in the textbook. Why would a stylist assume that the 20k and 18 months they spend on and in school was not all wrong? Advance classes do not teach you about split ends:nono:

I'm glad you were able to plant a seed and now maybe she will find LHCF:yep:

Surprisingly, the textbooks are correct! It's the incompetent teachers and a bunch of people who refuse to read the book because they've been doing hair since they were 5 y.o. and think they know everything is why they lack true knowledge!

I'm glad I went to college prior to beauty school and developed good study habits is all I can say. I actually read the entire chapter instead of memorizing the part that will be on state board exam and have gained a great deal of knowledge from it.:yep:

cyrealla

u sure she is not just being polite to you cos you embarassed her with ur knowledge and she wont just end up doing the same thing she was doing before to other clients who dont know any better :sad:

My Friend

Surprisingly, the textbooks are correct! It's the incompetent teachers and a bunch of people who refuse to read the book because they've been doing hair since they were 5 y.o. and think they know everything is why they lack true knowledge!

I'm glad I went to college prior to beauty school and developed good study habits is all I can say. I actually read the entire chapter instead of memorizing the part that will be on state board exam and have gained a great deal of knowledge from it.:yep:

I too have read the textbook:yep: I guess it depends on which textbook you read, the student and the interpreter.

EMJazzy

Happily retired
Wow....I never knew that's how stylists were taught. Thanks O.P!!!

Sent from my DROIDX using Long Hair Care Forum App

hairmaster

I've had client /friends ask me if they needed a trim, I tell them no if I see no split ends.
Next time I see them you can tell the have had hair trimmed, they say another stylist said the end were uneven or damaged and needed trimming. I ask if they wanted to grow their hair longer the don't need to trim that hair, most are only cutting the bottom layer keeping the client thinking their hair is not getting any longer.

Bnster

I've had client /friends ask me if they needed a trim, I tell them no if I see no split ends.
Next time I see them you can tell the have had hair trimmed, they say another stylist said the end were uneven or damaged and needed trimming. I ask if they wanted to grow their hair longer the don't need to trim that hair, most are only cutting the bottom layer keeping the client thinking their hair is not getting any longer.

How sad.

And OP thanks for delving in and getting to what she thought was split ends. Marvelous and the truth comes out.

GeauXavi

OP, I'm a little confused as to why you went to your stylist...whom you felt you knew more than anyway. Plus...you knew that you didn't want a hair cut. Sounds like a waste of time IMO.

Additionally... SSK's can lead to breakage and snagging just like splits can. So you have to keep both at bay through PSing.

adamseve

OP, I'm a little confused as to why you went to your stylist...whom you felt you knew more than anyway. Plus...you knew that you didn't want a hair cut. Sounds like a waste of time IMO.

Additionally... SSK's can lead to breakage and snagging just like splits can. So you have to keep both at bay through PSing.

Conqueror, I didn't know that I knew more than she did nor did I feel that way. I actually thought she was the BOMB because she was able to tell me things when I first met her that most stylists can't who purport to being up on natural hair care.

I wasn't sure my SSKs were actually SSKs and not split ends because the pics I have of split ends were exactly how my SSKs looked TO ME. Also, remember, I trusted her to do my BC because of the info she'd given me, and yes, I grilled her then BEFORE she put the scissors in my hair about products, M&S, etc. I've only been natural 8 months so there is still a learning curve on things like SSKs. To be honest, I'd never seen one and haven't found a pic online to make a positive ID so I was hoping to get the answer from someone I felt knew their stuff.

I went to see her completely with the intent to learn something from her. However, BEFORE I let her TELL ME I HAD SPLIT ENDS and NOT SSKs I wanted to make sure she knew the difference and could SHOW ME what she determined to be a split end and an SSK. I wasn't going to get a trim UNLESS what she said made perfect sense to me AND I actually NEEDED one.

She's very nice and, if she could take the grilling I gave her BEFORE she did my BC, I knew she wouldn't be opposed to me asking questions about my hair's health, etc. In fact I spoke with her the day before & expressed what I was looking for. She's not one of those ego driven stylists, and happens to like it when people ask her questions. And no, she wasn't embarassed because I didn't approach her in a know-it-all manner or in front of a group of people. My goal was to get the correct info for ME to make sure I was doing what was best for me not to make her look stupid or inept.

My goal in sharing this info was to share my experience and let others know what I was told in the event it could help them not have a disastrous cut for a reason that just doesn't make sense.

Hope this makes sense.

adamseve

You're welcome, and thanks for reading!

I was shocked that all the years prior to being relaxed that I had allowed my hair to be cut without ever thinking to ask these questions. I had put my complete trust in my stylist because I thought they were truly educated on hair care.

In fact, if I had not had a disastrous cut prior to my BC I probably would still trust my old stylist with my hair. Nothing wrong with trusting, but we have to make sure that our trust is deserved or else we'll have to accept the consequences.

I'm just thankful that she is the type of stylist that doesn't have an ego and genuinely wants to do the right thing.

Again...you're welcome.

adamseve

No stylist is going to look through individual strands on each clients head. It makes perfect sense to me to trim to the shorter hairs. Split ends will travel up or stick out or break off...all of which make the ends shorter.

I'd rather have even, blunt ends than shift through individual strands anyway. Hair looks healthier IMO when the ends look good. Every 6 weeks is too often, though. I'm glad she listened to you though and didn't insist she cut.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

I wasn't stating that the stylist needed to look at every individual strand, and if I were a stylist I wouldn't. However, I was trying to make absolute certain that she understood where I was coming from and also to get a clearer picture of what she was saying.

And yes, you're right...split ends have a way of traveling and making the whole head of hair look pretty bad. That's why I wasn't sure what was going on with the SSKs. Every time I find one I snip it and have never had any up the length of my strands. So, you can imagine why I was confused. Happy, but confused, that they weren't traveling if they were indeed split ends.

Girl, if she had of come close to my head with a pair of scissors before I gave her permission to trim my hair I would have been on the news :lol:! I have an aversion to scissors unless they are in my hands nowadays.

Thanks for sharing.

keepithealthy

That same thing happened to me this week. I am in cosmo school this year and asked my teacher to give me a trim. She promptly told me that ALL of my hair is split and that I needed to get at least 2" cut off. I started to look at my hair and I told her I don't see ANY split ends ( I dust regularly). Then she showed me how "thin" my ends were and that I must have split ends. She told me I need to condition my hair. After I went into detail with my regimen then she says that my hair needs to be relaxed to the end because it's reverted back to natural! :rolleyes::nono:

At that point I said to myself she's an incompetent idiot who does not need to be in my hair. I let her trim the very last layer of my hair and that's it. I could tell I intimidated her too with the stares and questions I asked her. She didn't know what the hell she was talking about and she knew I knew it.

Mind you she is my INSTRUCTOR at cosmo school. There's a whole lot of incompetent stylists out there. I plan to make serious $$ from their stupidity too!:grin:

That's a mess! Girl you go out and make that money. I wish that I could find someone that I trusted with a pair of scissors around my head. But for now I'm a self trimmer.

Next time I see them you can tell the have had hair trimmed, they say another stylist said the end were uneven or damaged and needed trimming. I ask if they wanted to grow their hair longer they don't need to trim that hair, most are only cutting the bottom layer keeping the client thinking their hair is not getting any longer

That's dead wrong!!

Threads like these keep me convinced to keep trimming my own hair.