Chi Flat Iron recall

tarheelgurl

I got this in my inbox this morning. Just passing the word.

We are sending you this notice because our system indicated that you have purchased CHI Products from Folica.com in the past.
Recently U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission announced a voluntary recall on CHI Hairstyling Irons by Farouk Systems Inc., due to fire and burn hazards.
Please click the following link for detailed information:
http://www.folica.com/info/CHI-recall.htm
Sincerely
Folica.com Customer Service
www.folica.com

AsTheCurlzTurns

Uh ohhhh, I believe I seen a few ladies laying ownership of one of these. Not to mention I was just checking out this this particular CHI on google before I seen this :(

AsTheCurlzTurns

Just wanted to bump this up for Chi flat-iron owners, don't want anyone's hard work of growing their hair to mess up, so better safe than sorry. :)

AsTheCurlzTurns

I wonder if the burning means the hair is burning or that the flat iron itself burns up?

Not sure on that one, only thing I can see is that the "on"/"off" switch doesn't function correctly on that model. And even when it's specifically switched to the "off" position the iron still stays "on". Only way it be completely off is if you unplug it. The owner could actually go near it and attempt to put it up and yet it's still HOT even if it's been turned off, thus burning herself in the process. That's JMO from what I gathered, based on the little bit they've stated on the site.

Tarheel Girl,

I used it for the first time last night and I really like it. It has a temp control on it and you only need to go through the strands once. It lives up to it's name. I went on folica.com to check out the reviews. Been voted one of the top, quality irons.

OT, how's the weather at your neck of the woods?

AsTheCurlzTurns

Wow, that's scary! I hope no one got hurt.

Not sure what you mean here, unless you're going by what I posted. If so, my post was just my assumption for why the company voluntarily pulled this particular flat-iron as a precaution to keep someone burning themselves. But as it stands as noted on their report about it, no injuries were reported. They may have done an "in-house" test on the product and thus noticed the malfunctioning of the item.

peanutbutter8204

I was almost about to cry when I read this. I just purchased a Chi after long debate over the price. Normally they retail for $160 I got mine for $79.00. I checked the lot numbers and all is well. Thanks for the info.

AsTheCurlzTurns

I was almost about to cry when I read this. I just purchased a Chi after long debate over the price. Normally they retail for $160 I got mine for $79.00. I checked the lot numbers and all is well. Thanks for the info.

Awww, I understand what you mean there. But glad you don't have the one that's being recalled :)

AsTheCurlzTurns

Whats the difference between the wee chi and the chi?

Well I had to go on their site to find this answer LOL But it appears that the Wee Chi is a mini version of their Original Chi, used for straightening or curling shorter hair. Otherwise the original Chi I assume is just for the normal hair length past being short to use. Someone may be able to do better than I did LOL. I'm no expert on these irons LOL

Glib Gurl

I was in Ulta this weekend and saw the notice. Thankfully my CHI is a different model. I was coming here to post about it, but I should've known my LHCF sisters were already on top of it!