Christian preacher arrested for saying homosexuality is a sin

Qualitee

A Christian street preacher was arrested and locked in a cell for telling a passer-by that homosexuality is a sin in the eyes of God.

By Heidi Blake
Published: 1:05PM BST 02 May 2010

Dale McAlpine was charged with causing “harassment, alarm or distress” after a homosexual police community support officer (PCSO) overheard him reciting a number of “sins” referred to in the Bible, including blasphemy, drunkenness and same sex relationships.
The 42-year-old Baptist, who has preached Christianity in Wokington, Cumbria for years, said he did not mention homosexuality while delivering a sermon from the top of a stepladder, but admitted telling a passing shopper that he believed it went against the word of God.

Related Articles

Police officers are alleging that he made the remark in a voice loud enough to be overheard by others and have charged him with using abusive or insulting language, contrary to the Public Order Act.
Mr McAlpine, who was taken to the police station in the back of a marked van and locked in a cell for seven hours on April 20, said the incident was among the worst experiences of his life.
“I felt deeply shocked and humiliated that I had been arrested in my own town and treated like a common criminal in front of people I know," he said.
“My freedom was taken away on the hearsay of someone who disliked what I said, and I was charged under a law that doesn't apply.”
Christian campaigners have expressed alarm that the Public Order Act, introduced in 1986 to tackle violent rioters and football hooligans, is being used to curb religious free speech.
Sam Webster, a solicitor-advocate for the Christian Institute, which is supporting Mr McAlpine, said it is not a crime to express the belief that homosexual conduct is a sin.
“The police have a duty to maintain public order but they also have a duty to defend the lawful free speech of citizens,” he said.
“Case law has ruled that the orthodox Christian belief that homosexual conduct is sinful is a belief worthy of respect in a democratic society."
Mr McAlpine was handing out leaflets explaining the Ten Commandments or offering a “ticket to heaven” with a church colleague on April 20, when a woman came up and engaged him in a debate about his faith.
During the exchange, he says he quietly listed homosexuality among a number of sins referred to in 1 Corinthians, including blasphemy, fornication, adultery and drunkenness.
After the woman walked away, she was approached by a PCSO who spoke with her briefly and then walked over to Mr McAlpine and told him a complaint had been made, and that he could be arrested for using racist or homophobic language.
The street preacher said he told the PCSO: “I am not homophobic but sometimes I do say that the Bible says homosexuality is a crime against the Creator”.
He claims that the PCSO then said he was homosexual and identified himself as the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender liaison officer for Cumbria police. Mr McAlpine replied: “It’s still a sin.”
The preacher then began a 20 minute sermon, in which he says he mentioned drunkenness and adultery, but not homosexuality. Three regular uniformed police officers arrived during the address, arrested Mr McAlpine and put him in the back of a police van.
At the station, he was told to empty his pockets and his mobile telephone, belt and shoes were confiscated. Police took fingerprints, a palm print, a retina scan and a DNA swab.
He was later interviewed, charged under Sections 5 (1) and (6) of the Public Order Act and released on bail on the condition that he did not preach in public.
Mr McAlpine pleaded not guilty at a preliminary hearing on Friday at Wokingham magistrates court and is now awaiting a trial date.
The Public Order Act, which outlaws the unreasonable use of abusive language likely to cause distress, has been used to arrest religious people in a number of similar cases.
Harry Hammond, a pensioner, was convicted under Section 5 of the Act in 2002 for holding up a sign saying “Stop immorality. Stop Homosexuality. Stop Lesbianism. Jesus is Lord” while preaching in Bournemouth.
Stephen Green, a Christian campaigner, was arrested and charged in 2006 for handing out religious leaflets at a Gay Pride festival in Cardiff. The case against him was later dropped.
Cumbria police said last night that no one was available to comment on Mr McAlpine’s case.

Mahalialee4

So we can't say what we believe is true anymore?

This is just the beginning. Now the International Supreme Court has jurisdiction. I will try and fine the law and quote it from there.

Here: http://www.religioustolerance.org/hom_hat3.htm

Although it speaks of 'committing a criminal act' against a person because of..(whatever)...some have used that law to say: stating your beliefs or using the Bible is a criminal act if I get offended or it refers to my particular situation or if it makes me feel 'bad'. This has been extended to firing 'a Christian teacher' for allowing her Christian students to pray or say the Lord's prayer in an undertone, off in a corner.....in a classroom...but there may be one who is not 'Christian" and not required or invited to participate ...MAJOR PROBLEM. (this law is only used on "christians' to this point) ...same law is used to remove BIBLES from hotel rooms...or to restrict even discussing or volunteering what you believe with someone.... e.g."I believe in Jesus or God...." to someone who volunteers that they are 'an atheist' or anything but a Christian. Others however are free to express who they believe in or that they go here or there for religious instruction.

So public schools can teach your grade school children about exploring homosexuality, birth control, etc. , the school nurse can send your 13-14 yr. old daughter from school in a cab, ALONE, to receive an abortion without you being informed, and she and the school and the clinic are covered from prosecution. But if you were to go to a teacher and state your Biblical grounds and request to have your child excused from certain classes, you can be fined and prosecuted. If you demand to find out information about your daughter's medical treatment for an 'abortion, they will likely summon the authorities. Insisting on your 'religious rights' could get you charged with a hate crime against the teacher ( for how this made her 'feel') and for removing your child from the class in some places, for denying your child an education. May result in child being removed from your home.

Canada's laws are stricter than America's for example.

Last edited:

Mahalialee4

So we can't say what we believe is true anymore?

What about this one? http://www.opposingviews.com/i/man-protests-after-being-forbidden-to-mention-god-at-wedding
Man Protests After Being Forbidden to Mention God at Wedding
News by Pacific Justice Institute
(June 03, 2009) in Religion / Religion in Society
SACRAMENTO, Calif. --- After receiving a letter from attorneys with Pacific Justice Institute, Sacramento County has backed down from a requirement that people authorized to officiate at one marriage ceremony eliminate religious references.

Manuel Zamorano paid the $42 fee to get permission from Sacramento County to perform a wedding for a relative. To Zamorano's surprise, a counter clerk told him that he could not mention God during the ceremony. The instruction packet he received confirmed this restriction, stating, "You may use any ceremony of your choice as long as the ceremony does not have any religious connotations." Zamorano does not work for the County, and the ceremony was not conducted on County property.

Facing a conflict of conscience, Zamorano chose not to eliminate references to God from the planned wedding ceremony, which was held in April. Concerned about the County's stance and possible repercussions, he contacted Pacific Justice Institute. PJI Chief Counsel Kevin Snider wrote to the County in mid-April, warning that singling out religion for disfavor is unconstitutional. After deliberating for nearly six weeks, the County responded to PJI this week that "Deputy Commissioners of Civil Marriages for a day may use any wording of their choice or of the couple's choice..."

Manuel Zamorano commented, "The fact that I paid a $42 fee shouldn't mean that I surrender my free speech rights. I am thankful that the County has changed its position and now realizes it is okay to mention God and Jesus Christ at a wedding."

PJI President Brad Dacus added, "This is an extreme example of separation of church and state run amok. In reality, the First Amendment mandates that government cannot ban religious references while allowing other types of ceremonies."

Mahalialee4

Why do y'all think I have been keeping that conspiracy thread going? *giggle*sigh*

I know. You know what the biggest shock is going to be?
When the people pull their heads out of the sand and realize the sky IS really falling, Chicken Little! and that many people in the world are far more aware and prepared than most 'Christians'.

When the Bible says there is going to be a time coming, worse than anything that has ever been before and ever will be again, and the only reason it will be cut short is to 'save his elect,... 'CHRISTIANS need to WAKE UP!

Last edited:

Kurlee

okay, when people used to say christianity was being "attacked", I thought they were a little touched. Now I truly am starting to see it. I have always maintained that gays should be allowed to be as gay as they want to be, but NOT everyone has to be down for the cause. Do what you do behind closed doors, but it doesn't have to be so in your face, to the point where you are forcing it down people's throats. Lord have mercy. What's next?

momi

look out for this more and more, ESPECIALLY in churches that recieve funds from the govt. in the US

Exactly. It began with the faith community funding initiatives and then churches started to depend on those funds. Basically they tell the church, we will give you this food and other resources to help people in the community, but we will restrict you from sharing with them about the true Living Water and Bread of Life. I have seen such a return to basic biblical teaching and a true desire to know God in these last days. More are returning to home fellowships and unconventional (read: non mega church) fellowships realizing that the truth of the gospel can be compromised if you are leaning on your parishioners for tithes and offering because of the fear of offending anyone.

The true Body of Christ has got ot wake up... this should come to no surprise to us as "the wise should be able to discern the times". We should be sharing the gospel like never before because time is winding up. Personally, I believe in a pre-tribulation rapture and pray that the saints will be raptured before things get to be too bad.

Also, pay attention to what is happening to Israel... for the first time that I know of the U.S. has relaxed its support of Israel... We are told to pray for Israel and I believe many of the blessings that the US has enjoyed is because of our support of Israel.

..................... sorry to go so far off topic...................................

momi

okay, when people used to say christianity was being "attacked", I thought they were a little touched. Now I truly am starting to see it. I have always maintained that gays should be allowed to be as gay as they want to be, but NOT everyone has to be down for the cause. Do what you do behind closed doors, but it doesn't have to be so in your face, to the point where you are forcing it down people's throats. Lord have mercy. What's next?

Yep... they never wanted "tolerance" and I knew they would not rest until they gained "acceptance and agreement".