Christian Rituals?

Are you in favor of, against, or indifferent to things like cleansing rituals, monthly rituals, etc.

• In Favor

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Against

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

alex114

So I was praying earlier today, and I began feeling a strong compulsion to do something extra as I pray tomorrow. Sometimes when I feel it in my spirit, I might do a walking prayer, or I might cry out to Jesus in a strong voice, etc. But in that moment, I asked the Lord to lead me in what and how to pray. After, I went on social media and saw that tomorrow is a full moon.
Also, in my specific denomination, cleansing rituals when moving into a home or apartment are quite common.
They are also employed when we feel an odd/negative presence or strong amounts of contention and sadness in a household.
I want to use candles that I've dedicated to the Lord and a bowl of water to pray with my husband tomorrow, but what do you all think? Are these ideas/actions strange to you, or do you think they have the potential to help enhance prayer?

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
:wave: Hi @alex114

I'm not sure if I personally have any rituals , I have to think about it.

I do want to say that you are such a blessing and I was happy and blessed reading your post. You are indeed a strong woman of prayer, with or without a ritual.

God bless you and your husband. May you both always be filled with the Holy Spirit and His loving guidance. In Jesus' Name, Amen

alex114

:heart: Hi! Thank you so much @Shimmie you don't know how much it means to hear you saying all that when you're SUCH an anointed one. Truly, you are blessed and favored in the eyes of the Lord. I know that you are always filled with Him to overflowing, but I pray that He might stay in your presence anyhow!

Shimmie

Staff member
:heart: Hi! Thank you so much @Shimmie you don't know how much it means to hear you saying all that when you're SUCH an anointed one. Truly, you are blessed and favored in the eyes of the Lord. I know that you are always filled with Him to overflowing, but I pray that He might stay in your presence anyhow!
Awwwww :kiss: Bless your Darling heart. I need the Holy Spirit every moment of every moment of every day. And yes, "every moment of every moment" of every day. That was not a typo.

More than likely I have several 'rituals' which may have become more of a habit with me that I don't realize it as a ritual.

I know that before I get into bed at night that I Must kneel and pray otherwise, it feels lazy "to me personally" if I don't. It doesn't feel as if I truly prayed from my heart unless I kneel before the Father in prayer. I owe Him that much reverence.

But that's just me, personally. It does not belittle anyone who does not kneel in prayer.

I always pray near water (while washing dishes, doing laundry, etc.) but it's not purposely, though. It's just that whenever I'm near water, the prayers begin to flow from my heart automatically, without any effort on my part, the prayers begin to flow and it's a precious moment of prayers.

Water, represents the Holy Spirit...

Oh precious is the flow....

alex114

@Shimmie :lachen: "Every moment of every moment of every day" I knew that couldn't be a typo! And, ah! That's very interesting, I've noticed something similar in myself in terms of praying near water. Many times, I'll pray in the shower, as the water seems to transmute itself to the Blood and just wash away the sins of the day as I repent and ask for mercy. As for kneeling, I usually only kneel to pray when I plan to be a prayer warrior that night, because it's such a powerful position.

Thank you, Shimmie!

blazingthru

So I was praying earlier today, and I began feeling a strong compulsion to do something extra as I pray tomorrow. Sometimes when I feel it in my spirit, I might do a walking prayer, or I might cry out to Jesus in a strong voice, etc. But in that moment, I asked the Lord to lead me in what and how to pray. After, I went on social media and saw that tomorrow is a full moon.
Also, in my specific denomination, cleansing rituals when moving into a home or apartment are quite common.
They are also employed when we feel an odd/negative presence or strong amounts of contention and sadness in a household.
I want to use candles that I've dedicated to the Lord and a bowl of water to pray with my husband tomorrow, but what do you all think? Are these ideas/actions strange to you, or do you think they have the potential to help enhance prayer?

So I am not sure what your faith is, but the bible is our example of how we should go before the lord and its extremely simple. Nothing added, anything added is not from God. in my heart, I see nothing wrong with it but its a practice of Pagan cults and we should have nothing to do with that and that should changes the need to add anything extra. My opinion means nothing, we have an example, Jesus went early in the morning to pray, he did not bring anything with him. He called on the name of the Lord when ever he needed to with doing nothing in addition to that. thats what we should do. Nothing more.

alex114

That's definitely an interesting perspective. I want a full range of opinions here, so thank you!
Some background on my faith:
I was raised Baptist and continue to practice in that denomination.
In our practice of Christianity, our prayer leaders and pastors will use things like anointed oil to anoint our foreheads, and we also observe Christian holidays and rituals like Communion, Palm Sunday and Ash Wednesday, where an object serves as a tangible reminder of what we must practice and seek to understand in our hearts.

Going off of those examples, I examined the call I felt and decided that I should act on it, because my relationship with the Lord is such that when He says "Jump", I ask only "How high, Lord?". And not questioning some of the things He might ask me to do has definitely been a hard-won ability, but I give only Him the glory and the honor for all the good that I am and that I do.

Of course, our new Covenant with Him makes all extra trappings unnecessary, but they also hone and strengthen my prayerful instincts, and the way He and I communicate in such a profound way.

Thank you again @blazingthru !

Galadriel

I'm not sure about tying things in with a full moon, but I do believe in blessings and prayers of blessing asking the Holy Spirit to protect our hearts, homes, and spaces.

I also believe since God created us as creatures with both spirits and bodies, that sensory objects to help us focus and participate in prayer can help. This is why some churches use incense during prayer, beautiful worship music, holy water, etc.

What denomination are you? Edit: Just saw your other post.

Galadriel

That's definitely an interesting perspective. I want a full range of opinions here, so thank you!
Some background on my faith:
I was raised Baptist and continue to practice in that denomination.
In our practice of Christianity, our prayer leaders and pastors will use things like anointed oil to anoint our foreheads, and we also observe Christian holidays and rituals like Communion, Palm Sunday and Ash Wednesday, where an object serves as a tangible reminder of what we must practice and seek to understand in our hearts.

Thanks for sharing this! I can definitely agree with the Sacraments being visible signs of invisible truths. We celebrate the Lord's resurrection and the Lord's supper for a reason, as well as use blessed/holy water, anointing oil, etc. These physical objects and actions all point to spiritual truths about worshiping God and depending on Him for our salvation.

I've met some really cool Baptists, by the way, but for some reason I don't run into them as much. Where are all the Baptists at???

alex114

I'm not sure about tying things in with a full moon, but I do believe in blessings and prayers of blessing asking the Holy Spirit to protect our hearts, homes, and spaces.

I also believe since God created us as creatures with both spirits and bodies, that sensory objects to help us focus and participate in prayer can help. This is why some churches use incense during prayer, beautiful worship music, holy water, etc.

What denomination are you?

Yeah, I'd never done it before then either.

And I'm not sure if it was incidental or what, but my call from the Lord said nothing about a full moon, I just noticed that that was the case after I decided to pray.
And I love the way you phrased that and framed it. Using our bodies to enjoy the Lord. Yes, I like that a lot.
I suppose my full denomination name is Full Gospel Baptist. What about you?

Galadriel

Yeah, I'd never done it before then either.

And I'm not sure if it was incidental or what, but my call from the Lord said nothing about a full moon, I just noticed that that was the case after I decided to pray.
And I love the way you phrased that and framed it. Using our bodies to enjoy the Lord. Yes, I like that a lot.
I suppose my full denomination name is Full Gospel Baptist. What about you?

I'm Catholic, so this definitely resonated with me. I'm glad you and your husband pray together, we NEED this in our world today :amen: God bless!

Shimmie

Staff member
@Galadriel :love2:

Thank you so much for your posts, it means a lot to welcome our new sister @alex114 :love2:

Both of you have extended Ephesians chapter 2 towards one another... torn down the walls of separation.

To God be the Glory ... Amen and Amen :love3: