Chronic Split Ends

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
How do you style/wear your hair?

I'm a firm believer in keeping afro-textured hair stretched via the stretch technique of your choice to prevent splits and SSKs.

Dust quarterly to be proactive with your ends. Trimming if necessary.

Also, keep your ends lubed up and off of your clothing etc.

And of course, wear a double lined bonnet or silk scarf at night.

writtenthought

How do you style/wear your hair?

I'm a firm believer in keeping afro-textured hair stretched via the stretch technique of your choice to prevent splits and SSKs.

Dust quarterly to be proactive with your ends. Trimming if necessary.

Also, keep your ends lubed up and off of your clothing etc.

And of course, wear a double lined bonnet or silk scarf at night.

What's a double lined bonnet? I think all of this is what has contributed to my splits!

Flourishnikov

Somewhere Flourishing...
The first thing I would look into is a mechanical cause such as dull scissors being used for trims and I would check the condition of my combs and brushes.

Dull scissors will shred your ends instead of making a clean snip and combs with seams will slowly shred your strands with every stroke.
Example of a comb with or without seams?

frizzy

Last edited:

Tyra

I'm a fine haired natural so I can relate.
I have managed to keep it at a minimum. I will say that I'm not someone who is really bothered by a split, broken hair, or ssk here or there. It's to be expected. However, when the issue is out of hand that's something else.
Usually for me the culprit is dry ends, or moisture/protein imbalance.

I was able to grow down to waist in four years, and I big chopped two years ago again and am down to grazing bra strap, so the problem can def be managed.

My advice in addition to what's been said is keep your regimen simple.

Unpopular opinions:
Wash n go's, wet buns, and any other styles where coily hairs are left to mingle and wrap each other are the devil! Stretched hair 24/7is a must for me.

No combing on wet hair. I detangle (fingers first...always) on almost dry hair that's been spritzed with a water and leave in mixture.

YvetteWithJoy

On break
I'm a fine haired natural so I can relate.
I have managed to keep it at a minimum. I will say that I'm not someone who is really bothered by a split, broken hair, or ssk here or there. It's to be expected. However, when the issue is out of hand that's something else.
Usually for me the culprit is dry ends, or moisture/protein imbalance.

I was able to grow down to waist in four years, and I big chopped two years ago again and am down to grazing bra strap, so the problem can def be managed.

My advice in addition to what's been said is keep your regimen simple.

Unpopular opinions:
Wash n go's, wet buns, and any other styles where coily hairs are left to mingle and wrap each other are the devil! Stretched hair 24/7is a must for me.

No combing on wet hair. I detangle (fingers first...always) on almost dry hair that's been spritzed with a water and leave in mixture.

Impressive growth and retention. :smile:

When you say stretched hair 24/7 are you including braid outs and twist outs in that category or do you mean blow dried hair, roller set hair, flat ironed hair, etc.? How do you typically where your hair?

TIA!

Tyra

Impressive growth and retention. :smile:

When you say stretched hair 24/7 are you including braid outs and twist outs in that category or do you mean blow dried hair, roller set hair, flat ironed hair, etc.? How do you typically where your hair?

TIA!
Thank you!
I typically wear either two-strand twists or individual plaits. I wear them pinned up or in a bun under wigs.

gorgeoushair

I have always had this problem; relaxed and natural. I protective style/ low manipulate a lot. I am going to say to do a search and destroy on whatever areas you can and a trim. Moisturize hair and seal with a medium to heavy oil or butter. Then every day after or every other day apply medium to heavy butter on ends.

Tyra

@Tyra do u wash and condition in plaits/2strand twists?
I do. I co-wash once a week. Moisturize and seal each day for the rest of the week. Once a week I do a wash *concentrating on my scalp* with African Black soap or a hairwash powder. I do all of that in twists or plaits.
Then once a month I take my hair out of the smaller twists to detangle and pull out shed hair, and on a few big loose twists do a bentonite clay mask to "reset" my hair.

I can NOT do any of those things on just loose hair. Instant nightmare if I try. The moment water touches my hair strands go to coiling around one another.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I have fine hair and have always suffered from terrible splits no matter what. I read some time ago that keeping hair deep conditioned and moisturized helps prevent them so I've been making myself be consistent with dc'ing after every wash which is weekly or bi weekly for me. I did a trim and s&d a few days ago and I was shocked at the reduction in splits so hopefully I am on to something.

Last edited:

gorgeoushair

I am glad that it's not just me who has this problem. I always wondered if I wasn't doing something right. I can admit that I haven't been moisturizing or DCing like I probably should but even when I was on my hair game during my relaxed days, moisturizing (paying special attention to the ends) everyday to every other day and I still would have splits even after a trim.

ForestRose

I have this problem. My hair is not doing too bad in terms of retention at the moment but I've been on my journey long enough and should be a lot longer than I am now.

I think a lot of my issues has to do with tangling. I have very dense 4c hair at the back so it tangles and breaks very easily. It doesn't matter if I'm finger detangling or combing or stretching it just breaks at the ends.

One thing I haven't tried yet is maintaining straight natural hair. From wearing a weave with leaveout I've realised that my hair handles heat quite well. So I'm planning on flat ironing once every two weeks maybe once a week. I don't know if it will help as I've never done it before but these past few weeks have been so easy with minimal breakage. Plus I know for a fact that my hair doesn't take to being natural too well and my scalp doesn't like relaxers.

snoop

I used to have that problem because I was suffering from keyhole splits. I think I had a porosity issue + mechanical. Even at that time I would mostly wear stretched styles (two strand twists) I think issues were that my hair was overly dry, that my hair was probably hi po, and that I was using combs with seams (though not that often).

I started including silk peptides in my moisturizer, finger detangling, and moisturizing often, sometimes twice a day (mainly in winter). I also clay washed the majority of the time.

My strands are fine/medium. I find that using oil/butter without having properly moisturized hair just leaves you with greasy dry hair.