Churchless!

momi

For the first time in my entire life I do not have a home church. Lord knows I am not trying to be picky but I am having a difficult time finding what I am looking for. I would like a mix between sound doctrine found at many multicultural churches - yet I really do not care for their music. I know that doctrine and theology should trump music but goodness those 4 people praise teams with an autistic guitar just .... idk.

The black church experience (at least the positive aspects) is something that I feel we should continue to embrace because it is a huge part of our history. However preaching about "the next breakthrough", "next season," "or God's gonna turn it around" are just too superficial to where I am in my spiritual walk.

Anyway just venting.

mensa

Nowadays, it's not easy finding a church that is based on Biblical principals and not that other stuff. However, there are still a few left. Though it wont be easy, as you keep praying and searching, The Lord will lead you to the Church that you should join.

Please keep us posted.

momi

Nowadays, it's not easy finding a church that is based on Biblical principals and not that other stuff. However, there are still a few left. Though it wont be easy, as you keep praying and searching, The Lord will lead you to the Church that you should join.

Please keep us posted.

Not at all. Thank you I will keep you all posted.

Phoenix14

For the first time in my entire life I do not have a home church. Lord knows I am not trying to be picky but I am having a difficult time finding what I am looking for. I would like a mix between sound doctrine found at many multicultural churches - yet I really do not care for their music. I know that doctrine and theology should trump music but goodness those 4 people praise teams with an autistic guitar just .... idk.

The black church experience (at least the positive aspects) is something that I feel we should continue to embrace because it is a huge part of our history. However preaching about "the next breakthrough", "next season," "or God's gonna turn it around" are just too superficial to where I am in my spiritual walk.

Anyway just venting.
We are here with this desire.

momi

I spotted a new church today while we were taking a short cut to avoid traffic - we've already looked them up online but there was only a short clip of the pastor preaching. Everything else seems like it might be a strong contender. Lord willing we will attend tomorrow - I'll keep you all posted!

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
I don't have to tell anybody here that we Catholics/Orthodox believe we have the completed truth and no place else needed to look.... so you'd think that would make one feel totally at home...but no place is perfect, truly. There are things/attitudes and avoidances that irritate me to no end in the RCC. I guess it's that man is in the way lol. And none of us here in this thread are looking for perfection, even. I know how you feel and I hope you find some place to call "home." Man, there's always going to be something...that something difficult that tries to be a stumbling block to being settled or feeling satisfied and where we belong.

momi

@momi How did it go this past Sunday? I prayed for you that you would have the opportunity and feel at ease, finding a good match.

@kanozas thank you for your prayer - that really means a lot. :bighug:

It actually went well - the pastor was out of town so someone else ministered. The message was definitely gospel centered and the praise and worship took me back to my childhood. We really enjoyed it and plan to visit this Sunday - hopefully the pastor will be preaching.

YvetteWithJoy

On break

Anyway just venting.

@momi,

I just wanted to say that I totally get you and think what you're looking for is IMPORTANT:

For the LONGEST (decades) I put doctrine and theology over "music." But it's not just "music" . . . It's worship and praise. God is genius and there is a REASON He commands us to worship and praise. When I am able to freely lift my heart and head and hands and worship and praise with abandon, that's one way I know that my heart is right toward God. It draws me close to Him, feeds Our relationship, etc. It's not just "music." It's worship, which is expression of love to God. It's praise, which is expressed acknowledgment of God's power and love and so forth.

janiebaby

@momi hows the new church?

Your post sounded exactly the way I felt a few months ago. Exactly....I was even talking to someone I recently met about all the churches Ive attended. Praise and worship in the black church is unequalled. However the theatrics sometimes irritates me along with playing on emotions. I then looked at multicultural churches and while I liked the more intellectual discussion (Presbyterian) I still didn't feel connected. Then I visited non-denominational multicultural churches and felt like there was too much prosperity/motivational preaching (ex. Joel Olsteen).

Keeping in mind that I may not find everything I want in a church and that even those wants may change over time. I found a church that is really focused on scripture and community and those two things are extremely important to me esp with my personal motto being "charity begins at home" (it's in the Bible).

So here's what I love:
Multiple pastors preach even though we have a head pastor and you don't know who will preach when but they all seem to be on one accord. I like this because I find that alot of church members get stuck on the pastor and if the pastor leaves then they're lost. I feel that you should always have a plan in place in the church for someone to succeed you preferably someone who has been under your instruction instead of having to go out and search for outside people.

They've planted multiple churches in the tri state area and many of those pastors come down and preach on any given Sunday. I feel like if I move within these places I may not feel as lost initially with trying to find a church home.

They don't shy away from certain topics namely sex, homosexuality, new age spirituality (ex. The Secret), white supremacy (the pastors and congregation are multicultural), black lives matter, etc.

They stress the importance of prayer, repentance, evangelism and reading the Bible as well as committing scripture to memory.

Community is important both inside the church as well our neighborhood.

Maybe you can really pinpoint the things that you need beyond a doubt and let the other stuff work itself out.

Last edited:

momi

just seeing your post, praying that you will find what you need in a church ...you guys were truly 'visitors' how did that feel?

Hey Sis!

First of all I'm still getting used to the fact that I can actually walk into a church and not have any tasks or projects to work on. I keep pinching myself because I'm actually just "sitting and listening" but not worrying about "the pastor" preaching too long or sticking with the text like I did when my husband pastored. lol

Honestly I've enjoyed the break but I'm ready to get back to serving in some capacity - maybe a peppermint and fan carrying usher or something.

momi

@momi hows the new church?

Your post sounded exactly the way I felt a few months ago. Exactly....I was even talking to someone I recently met about all the churches Ive attended. Praise and worship in the black church is unequalled. However the theatrics sometimes irritates me along with playing on emotions. I then looked at multicultural churches and while I liked the more intellectual discussion (Presbyterian) I still didn't feel connected. Then I visited non-denominational multicultural churches and felt like there was too much prosperity/motivational preaching (ex. Joel Olsteen).

Keeping in mind that I may not find everything I want in a church and that even those wants may change over time. I found a church that is really focused on scripture and community and those two things are extremely important to me esp with my personal motto being "charity begins at home" (it's in the Bible).

So here's what I love:
Multiple pastors preach even though we have a head pastor and you don't know who will preach when but they all seem to be on one accord. I like this because I find that alot of church members get stuck on the pastor and if the pastor leaves then they're lost. I feel that you should always have a plan in place in the church for someone to succeed you preferably someone who has been under your instruction instead of having to go out and search for outside people.

They've planted multiple churches in the tri state area and many of those pastors come down and preach on any given Sunday. I feel like if I move within these places I may not feel as lost initially with trying to find a church home.

They don't shy away from certain topics namely sex, homosexuality, new age spirituality (ex. The Secret).

They stress the importance of prayer, repentance, evangelism and reading the Bible as well as committing scripture to memory.

Community is important both inside the church as well our neighborhood.

Maybe you can really pinpoint the things that you need beyond a doubt and let the other stuff work itself out.

Morning @janiebaby!

We are "here" - I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments! I believe I have a peace that this is where we will be but I know DH will have to get on board. For now I am enjoying the fellowship, feeling like we at least have a place and somewhere to give our offerings. The children will visit teen service today so we will see how that goes.

Thanks for checking in.

Iwanthealthyhair67

Hey Sis!

First of all I'm still getting used to the fact that I can actually walk into a church and not have any tasks or projects to work on. I keep pinching myself because I'm actually just "sitting and listening" but not worrying about "the pastor" preaching too long or sticking with the text like I did when my husband pastored. lol

Honestly I've enjoyed the break but I'm ready to get back to serving in some capacity - maybe a peppermint and fan carrying usher or something.[/QUOTE]

lol, at the bolded.

I just joined a new church and it's different from what I'm used to, I am getting settled in I think I bit off more than I can chew I am involved... in at least 3 auxiliaries... mercy!

momi

Ok y'all.

We have been visiting this church on a regular basis since my earlier post. I am at the point where I feel at peace to join but I am waiting on DH to start the conversation. I can't imagine joining a fellowship without my husband but I don't want to wait forever either. Right now I don't feel like it is the right time to broach the subject as DH doesn't like to feel pressured into decisions.... I am going to continue to wait and pray.