Cipriana's "Loose" Twists?

loolalooh

Hey ladies. So twists are my go-to style 99% of the time. They've helped me go from NL to almost WSL. However, as my natural hair has gotten longer, the twisting process/takedown has gotten longer. I came across Cipriana (from Urbanbushbabes) and her loose twist technique online some months ago. The enticing thing about the technique (to me) is quicker twisting process and takedown. Also, there's the added versatility in styling.

I'm toying with putting in some loose twists next week but have some concerns ... the biggest ones being development of SSKs and locking due to shrinkage.

Has anyone tried Cipriana's loose twists? Did you experience increased SSKs or locking? How did you maintain the twists?

TIA. Please post pics if you have any. :)

Zaz

I'm not sure what technique you mean but I have a hard time imagining anything she does as 'time saving' :lol:

loolalooh

I'm curious too. loolalooh Did Cipriana do a video about how she did her loose twists? I'm not sure how she gets them to stay.

She had a video where she takes down a twist and redos the twist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whbtwy2j7NY

Someone asked Cirpiana if she could do a loose twist video in the future and she said yes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICBr...DvjVQa1PpcFNGDW6Yyx8J-zZy7YTt28ic-VfIYdlBuS8=

In this video, she demonstrates her dry finger detangling method.:ohwell:

I'm not sure what technique you mean but I have a hard time imagining anything she does as 'time saving' :lol:

True, I should've clarified. Lol. Her finger detangling method is definitely time consuming. However, her putting in loose mini twists is faster than putting in regular/tight mini twists.

MissAlinaRose

When you say loose twists are you just talking about regular two-strand twists? I tried watching her vid but my attention span is too short lol (sow'wy)

Anyhoo, I used to live in twists, and it did help me retain my length. Here's a pic of some mini-twists in a bob style

Here's how I maintained my twists for long periods of time:

#1 Take a good 11-12 hours twisting clean hair [making them small and neat] ETA: You do not have to spend 12 hours twisting. I did it only to make them tiny. I like the look.:grin:
#2 After a few weeks when my twists would start looking/feeling old I would wash my hair in the twists, let them dry, undo one twist, comb it through, add product if need be and twist it right back. Repeat all over head until all the old twists are redone. This way if you don't finish, your hair is still twisted!

Of course if I wanted to wear a twistout I would wear one, then when it got old, I would start twisting my dry twistout and repeat the the process above.

Notice how there are twists in the front of this twistout shown below. I am beginning the re-twist process without the wash process on loose hair.

The attached picture gives you an idea of the 2-step twisted process. The red arrow points to the old twists. The rest of the twists are newly twisted.

I hope this makes sense.

Attachments

• twistprocess.jpg
    twistprocess.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

HappilyLiberal

When you say loose twists are you just talking about regular two-strand twists? I tried watching her vid but my attention span is too short lol (sow'wy)

Anyhoo, I used to live in twists, and it did help me retain my length. Here's a pic of some mini-twists in a bob style

#1 Take a good 11-12 hours twisting clean hair [making them small and neat]
#2 After a few weeks when my twists would start looking/feeling old I would wash my hair in the twists, let them dry, undo one twist, comb it through, add product if need be and twist it right back. Repeat all over head until all the old twists are redone. This way if you don't finish, your hair is still twisted!

Of course if I wanted to wear a twistout I would wear one, then when it got old, I would start twisting my dry twistout and repeat the the process above.

Notice how there are twists in the front of this twistout shown below. I am beginning the re-twist process without the wash process on loose hair.

The attached picture gives you an idea of the 2-step twisted process. The red arrow points to the old twists. The rest of the twists are newly twisted.

I hope this makes sense.

Thanks for posting this. My hair is in two strand twists now but my hair is only shoulder length when stretched. I was getting frustrated with my hair and was considering relaxing again. But, I see what my hair can look like when it grows out a little more so I will exercise some patience.

loolalooh

I hope this makes sense.

Your twists and hair are beautiful as always! The twists she does look different ... almost like her hair is loose. They are two-strand but not the regular two strand. She twists her hair very loose to the point where her hair looks untwisted. Here's a pic of her hair in 150-ish twists (notice how it looks loose):

loolalooh

MissAlinaRose:

Girl, the red bolded is what I'm trying to avoid. :) I remember when twisting used to take 45 minutes to 3 hrs max. I hope "loose" twisting will cut down on the hours.

MissAlinaRose

@MissAlinaRose:

Girl, the red bolded is what I'm trying to avoid. :) I remember when twisting used to take 45 minutes to 3 hrs max. I hope "loose" twisting will cut down on the hours.

No no, you don't have to twist that long. Notice I said I took that long to make them small and neat. You surely don't have to make them small/mini if you don't want to. PLUS, if they are already in twists when you go back to retwist, you will breeze through them because you don't have to worry about parting, sectioning off, etc.

Any method can be simplified.

Sorry for not clarifying.

MzSwift

GL! I guess I assumed that just b/c of the length, the twist process would take hours regardless of how it's accomplished. Does Cipriana(sp?) say how long it takes her to twist her hair? (sorry, I didn't watch the vid) I have definitely been interested in her twists b/c they offer a lot of styling flexibility.

Hmm, I wonder if loose braids will yield similar results. I think I'm gonna stick to braids instead b/c I like to wet my hair too often.

MissAlinaRose

Thanks for posting this. My hair is in two strand twists now but my hair is only shoulder length when stretched. I was getting frustrated with my hair and was considering relaxing again. But, I see what my hair can look like when it grows out a little more so I will exercise some patience.

HappilyLiberal No problem. I am happy to help anyway I can. Have you tried jazzing up your twists? Maybe braiding up your twists for a crinkly twist style? I think playing in them and/or pinning them up make twists a little more fun to wear.

Your twists and hair are beautiful as always! The twists she does look different ... almost like her hair is loose. They are two-strand but not the regular two strand. She twists her hair very loose to the point where her hair looks untwisted. Here's a pic of her hair in 150-ish twists (notice how it looks loose):

Ok, you're going to have to forgive me because I'm a little slow catching on.

So let me get this straight, does she put her hair into big, loose twists and style them in a bun? Is that what's going on here?

MissAlinaRose

Ok soooo I think I totally misunderstood this post and my mini-tutorial totally doesn't answer the question.

I haven't tried the loose twist thing. My bad loo!!

loolalooh

GL! I guess I assumed that just b/c of the length, the twist process would take hours regardless of how it's accomplished. Does Cipriana(sp?) say how long it takes her to twist her hair? (sorry, I didn't watch the vid) I have definitely been interested in her twists b/c they offer a lot of styling flexibility.

Hmm, I wonder if loose braids will yield similar results. I think I'm gonna stick to braids instead b/c I like to wet my hair too often.

MzSwift:

Here was her reply to a comment posted on youtube: "Twisting all 150 twists takes about 8-10 hours but that is because I retwist every 4 weeks now (since my hair is getting longer) and detangle twist by twist."

So it basically takes 8-10 hours including detangling AND retwisting. :drool: And that's 1x a month. That would be a dream come true for me. :)

loolalooh

Ok soooo I think I totally misunderstood this post and my mini-tutorial totally doesn't answer the question.

I haven't tried the loose twist thing. My bad loo!!

MissAlinaRose:

Lol. Girl, it's fine. Your information is still very useful. Does the 11-12 hours include detangling? (Off to see if you mentioned it in the earlier post)? I'm also interested in mini twists, but fear the combined total time.

loolalooh

Ok, you're going to have to forgive me because I'm a little slow catching on.

So let me get this straight, does she put her hair into big, loose twists and style them in a bun? Is that what's going on here?

MissAlinaRose:

No, you're fine. :) I think what she does is put her 150 loose mini twists into a couple of big loose twists to achieve this style. Reading the comments on youtube, it looks like the big twists are done to keep the smaller twists stretched.

MissAlinaRose

@MissAlinaRose:

Lol. Girl, it's fine. Your information is still very useful. Does the 11-12 hours include detangling? (Off to see if you mentioned it in the earlier post)? I'm also interested in mini twists, but fear the combined total time.

Yes, I used to take 8-10 hours but the only reason why I said 11-12 is because I was thinking about what it would probably take me to do now. I haven't done this in 2 years!

I save a lot of time with the 2-step twisted process. After a month or so, when I go to retwist, the hair is already twisted. So essentially all I am doing is taking a twist out, finger detangling a little (some seconds), and then twisting it back up. That's it. It goes by quicker the second time. Plus, no matting.

Detangling takes me 7-10 minutes overall for my hair normally.

loolalooh

Yes, I used to take 8-10 hours but the only reason why I said 11-12 is because I was thinking about what it would probably take me to do now. I haven't done this in 2 years!

I save a lot of time with the 2-step twisted process. After a month or so, when I go to retwist, the hair is already twisted. So essentially all I am doing is taking a twist out, finger detangling a little (some seconds), and then twisting it back up. That's it. It goes by quicker the second time. Plus, no matting.

Detangling takes me 7-10 minutes overall for my hair normally.

Ah, I see. 11-12 hours is not bad at all including detangling time.

Nonie

@MissAlinaRose, sorry if this is redundant, I'm getting off so can't read all posts, but like you, my attention span on YT is close to nil so I usually FF to the relevant parts. Cipriana demonstrates her loose twisting starting from 2:32.

I could see this working on stretched hair. But I wash my hair often and I'm afraid shed hair would just slowly curl up in there and matt. I like the stretch from tight twists. I'll have to think on this.... :scratchch

MissAlinaRose

@MissAlinaRose, sorry if this is redundant, I'm getting off so can't read all posts, but like you, my attention span on YT is close to nil so I usually FF to the relevant parts. Cipriana demonstrates her loose twisting starting from 2:32.

I could see this working on stretched hair. But I wash my hair often and I'm afraid shed hair would just slowly curl up in there and matt. I like the stretch from tight twists. I'll have to think on this.... :scratchch

Nonie Hello my fellow short attention span sister lol I haven't done this in a couple years and I can totally understand concerns of matting. I just remember not keeping the same twists in too long and immediately retwisting twists that looks frizzy, old, or stuck together.

I may try it again for a little experiment.

bride91501

tbh these pics don't look like twists to me. It kinda looks matted on the right side imo. :ohwell:

I agree. Her hair is gorgeous, but this kinda looks like my hair when I've been lazy and left my hair to "breathe" for a couple of days after taking down my cornrows :ohwell: lol. Like a combination of stretched, but shed-filled hair lol.

I'm looking really close at the pic to see how it's twisted, but so far I'm lost. Off to watch the video....

loolalooh

Very pretty but....how is that protective?? I can see the beehive bun, but I don't get it being down and out.

Chameleonchick:

That's part of the reason for my initial question. Would I get SSKs and meshing (and even tangling) in these loose twists?

I can see it being useful in minimizing those things, but would it be any different than just wearing my hair loose and stretched? I told her about my concern via a youtube comment ... awaiting the reply. :)

loolalooh

Nonie:

That is one of my other fears as well since I like to wash my hair in twists. My understanding is that Cipriana puts her small twists into 6 big braids (or was it twists), washes, and airdries that way. However, she only washes 1x a month, and that wash is prior to her retwist.