Clandestine Proselytization Or Indoctrination?

kanozas

se ven las caras pero nunca el corazón
[I'm sure you've heard of the Virginia district that was shut down when parents and the school board reacted to the assignment in world religion to write the "shahada," declaration of the islamic faith, in calligraphy as part of the course. I do think the district overreacted or if they decided to close for protection, then they were doing so to thwart off extremists (christian). But it's not the first time this type of assignment has happened. What if a Jewish kid or Hindu were obligated to not only memorize the Nicene Creed but to recite it? The "shahada" has happened in Tennessee earlier this year]:

http://insider.foxnews.com/2015/09/...nly-god-tennessee-middle-school-history-class

Tennessee parents are voicing their concerns about a middle school history assignment in which students were asked to write "Allah is the only God."

Brandee Porterfield joined "Fox and Friends" this morning, saying she has no problem with her seventh-grade daughter learning about Islam as part of world history, but believes time should also be devoted to Christianity.

"They did this assignment where they wrote out the Five Pillars of Islam, including having the children learn and write the Shahada, which is the Islamic conversion creed," she explained.

Porterfield said she spoke with the Spring Hill Middle School teacher and principal, who said there would not be similar lessons on Christianity and Judaism.

She said she reviewed the state standards and there are upcoming lessons on Hinduism and Buddhism.

Unlike the lessons on Islam, however, Porterfield said students would not be expected to memorize a creed dealing with those religions.

"They don't study any other religions to this extent. ... It is the state sponsoring religion in schools. They're not going over anything else. For the students to have to memorize this prayer, it does seem like it's indoctrination," said Porterfield.

Maury County Director of Schools Chris Marczak issued the following statement on the curriculum:

Our teachers work together to make sure that our students are learning what is expected through the Tennessee academic standards. For this last section on the Islamic World this past week, our educators had students complete an assignment that had an emphasis on Islamic Faith. The assignment covered some sensitive topics that are of importance to Islamic religion and caused some confusion around whether we are asking students to believe in or simply understand the religion.

Marczak disputes that the school is emphasizing one religion over another or trying to "indoctrinate" students.

http://time.com/4154591/islam-arabic-school-virginia/

A school district in Virginia is closed Friday over an assignment that some parents and community members felt was a form of Islamic indoctrination.

On Dec. 11 during a Geography lesson on world religions, teacher Cheryl LaPorte at Riverheads High School had her students write out an Islamic statement of faith to practice calligraphy, the Staunton News Leader reports. The statement translates to, “There is no god but Allah, and Muhammad is the messenger of Allah.”

The students were not asked to translate or speak the sentence, but local parents were outraged at the assignment, seeing it as a form of Islamic proselytization in a public school.

In a post on the Augusta County Public Schools website, the school board announced the district would be closed Friday “following parental objections to the World Geography curriculum and ensuing related media coverage… voluminous phone calls and electronic mail locally and from outside the area.”

The statement says there “has been no specific threat of harm to students,” but that the closure was ordered “based on concerns regarding the tone and content of those communications.”

According to the Washington Post, the school district serves about 10,000 students in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia about 150 miles outside Washington, D.C.

Last edited:

mensa

Hi Konazas,

I agree with the parents who were outraged. I would have felt the same way if my Christian children were instructed to write such a thing. Would practicing Muslims agree to have their children write, "Jesus Christ is Lord and The Only Begotten Son of God?" I think not. So, why are we wrong when we object to our children writing the opposite of what we are teaching them at home?

There are many ways to teach this style of writing without using such statements to young children.

If you say Merry Christmas, quote The Lord's Prayer, teach The Ten Commandments, etc., there is an uproar. But if we reject that our kids are taught an Islam belief, we're attacked. Why is that? Where are our rights to defend our beliefs?

Last edited:

kikigirl

I would not be surprised if these incidents were a test designed to "feel out" the level of PC-ness towards Islamic teachings at schools.
Deference would not have been given to a statement saying even just "God Bless our country," or "Praise be to God," with no mention of Jesus. The knee jerk secular response would have been "Oh, Christians indoctrinating our kids again!" It's OK to keep anything Christian out of the public space, yet, some folks would be willing to let Islamic teachings slide for PC-ness sake. The fact that it was a class on world religions is just a pretext. The teacher had an agenda.

kanozas

I would not be surprised if these incidents were a test designed to "feel out" the level of PC-ness towards Islamic teachings at schools.
Deference would not have been given to a statement saying even just "God Bless our country," or "Praise be to God," with no mention of Jesus. The knee jerk secular response would have been "Oh, Christians indoctrinating our kids again!" It's OK to keep anything Christian out of the public space, yet, some folks would be willing to let Islamic teachings slide for PC-ness sake. The fact that it was a class on world religions is just a pretext. The teacher had an agenda.

And I am not anti-Muslim (just to clarify) but this is one problem that the U.K. and France have been having for over a decade now. They can barely question anything that appears to be indoctrination, even radical mullahs calling for jihad on their own soil. SMH. We have the guilt of racism and oppression and people are using that to further something...maybe "spiritual jihad."

kikigirl

And I am not anti-Muslim (just to clarify) but this is one problem that the U.K. and France have been having for over a decade now. They can barely question anything that appears to be indoctrination, even radical mullahs calling for jihad on their own soil. SMH. We have the guilt of racism and oppression and people are using that to further something...maybe "spiritual jihad."

Right. I'm all for having American Muslims living here as neighbors. The problem is when the past legacy and guilt of racism leaks into how people evaluate wrong and right. No oppression # from blindly accepting another culture taking over. Immigrants have been coming to this country for centuries. How come we strive *so much* to keep church and state separate but would yield to Muslims wanting their religion in the public sphere?
It's cool making fun of and barring Christianity from the public space. Apparently, the Islamic religion is the only one with a public exemption.
Some say the parents overreacted...I think this is the only kind of response that will shut these attempts down... at least for the time being.

felic1

this thread has nice opinions. i think considering the fact that we cannot pray in schools, there must be separation of church and state, anything related to christianity can't take place and down with Jesus leads to we should not be teaching precepts of other faiths. I think that classes with such content are not appropriate for middle schoolers. This group is susceptible to being led into something at this age. The content of world religions may be better addressed with mature college students. This group may be able to differentiate between New information and changing a belief system. Thoughts?

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
this thread has nice opinions. i think considering the fact that we cannot pray in schools, there must be separation of church and state, anything related to christianity can't take place and down with Jesus leads to we should not be teaching precepts of other faiths. I think that classes with such content are not appropriate for middle schoolers. This group is susceptible to being led into something at this age.

The content of world religions may be better addressed with mature college students. This group may be able to differentiate between New information and changing a belief system. Thoughts?

I agree @felic1

There is no middle ground here. This teacher knew exactly what she was doing; which is/was planting the seeds of this faith into the minds of the children to indoctrinate them. As a Christian parent, I have every right to take action against this.

kanozas

I was in Hebrew language class not too long ago and one teacher was using the curriculum from another teacher at the agency. Some old poem that many would consider prejudiced was the next page to read. Before you knew it, the teacher was red-faced and apologized profusely. Sometimes, you go with the worksheets without realizing what's exactly contained within them and then you either stop the lesson or you continue on with it and try to get past it.

I think the teacher in Virginia was innocent, actually. And the director at our agency was instructed to remove that ugly poem from the curriculum. She knew better (because she placed it there). I don't personally think that LaPorte (Virginia) gave much attention to the workbook, certainly not to consider the outcome of such a lesson. She probably rushed through it.

It's called: World Religion and was not created by her. All curricula must be approved by the school district so, I think the oversight is the fault of the district and the school, not the teacher. Maybe this is the workbook:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1uya3_7YnfbkkfeVEu0ApeXn5VDu8usoP4GnDZ5kA5sk/edit

Going to peruse it to find the lesson.

Last edited:

Shimmie

"God is the Only Truth -- Period"
Staff member
Hi Konazas,

I agree with the parents who were outraged. I would have felt the same way if my Christian children were instructed to write such a thing. Would practicing Muslims agree to have their children write, "Jesus Christ is Lord and The Only Begotten Son of God?" I think not. So, why are we wrong when we object to our children writing the opposite of what we are teaching them at home?

There are many ways to teach this style of writing without using such statements to young children.

If you say Merry Christmas, quote The Lord's Prayer, teach The Ten Commandments, etc., there is an uproar. But if we reject that our kids are taught an Islam belief, we're attacked. Why is that? Where are our rights to defend our beliefs?

Your entire post is on point...and more. I also see this as another vehicle to 'bash' Christians and 'our' faith. We have to be vigilant and continue to 'watch' what and how our children are being taught. Just as you shared above, if there had been The Lord's Prayer, Merry Christmas and even the Ten Commandments and Dear Heaven, don't speak against gay marriage. This is just another attack against Christianity and the evidence is written all over the Internet with people's comments including in this forum in another thread.

mensa

Your entire post is on point...and more. I also see this as another vehicle to 'bash' Christians and 'our' faith. We have to be vigilant and continue to 'watch' what and how our children are being taught. Just as you shared above, if there had been The Lord's Prayer, Merry Christmas and even the Ten Commandments and Dear Heaven, don't speak against gay marriage. This is just another attack against Christianity and the evidence is written all over the Internet with people's comments including in this forum in another thread.

"Let the Church say amen!"