Clarfying conditioners replacing clarifying shampoos?

Lilmama1011

Can you do that? I was thinking of not using a clarifying shampoo and thought could I use a clarifying conditioner instead. With it being a clarifying conditioner i assume it has no mineral oil and cones right?

leiah

A conditioner by definition is going to leave residue in your hair. I think clarifying conditioners are the equivalent of very gentle moisturizing shampoos. They work fine but dont really clarify

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
IMO there are 2 kinds of clarifying conditioners:

Clarifying Cleansing Conditioner

and actual

Clarifying Conditioner

Wen, Hair One, etc offer cleansing conditioners that actually cleanse your hair. Shampoo & Conditioner in 1

For actual conditioners, I think they put clarifying agents in them to sell them as a duo w/ their shampoos.

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
I use the V05 kiwi one. It is good at cleansing the scalp. Depending on the products on your hair and if you heavy seal with like shea or grease it doesn't remove it all. I know cuz I use shea and grease. I end up chelating/clarifying 2x a month.

Lilmama1011

I use the V05 kiwi one. It is good at cleansing the scalp. Depending on the products on your hair and if you heavy seal with like shea or grease it doesn't remove it all. I know cuz I use shea and grease. I end up chelating/clarifying 2x a month.

O, ok, great point! I seal with coconut oil sometimes and Jane carter nourish and shine. You think the nourish and shine is too heavy to remove i will be back with the ingredients for that DarkJoy

Lilmama1011

DarkJoy never mind the first ingredient is shea butter, I will just finish that up and just seal with coconut oil and finish out my Quantum clarifying shampoo, do you think I can mix conditioner with it. I dilute it of course already but still so strong but the ingredient for nourish and shine for no reason at all is..... Butyrospermum Parki (Shea) Butter, Garcinia Indic (Kokum) Butter, Shorea Stenoptera (Illippe) Butter, Mangifera Indic (Mango) Butter, Citrus Limo (Lemon)*, Citrus Grandi (Grapefruit)*, Citrus Reticulat (Sweet Orange)*, Glycine Soja (Soy) Oil, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene (Squalene), Fragrance. *Essential Oils

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
Hey! Lilmama1011

Yea, I dilute mine! I should have said. Depending on how I feel, I either dilute or use with a cleansing condish, like this:

A teaspoon of 'poo in a large water glass and pour it over my head and work it in.

OR

Wash w/cleansing condish first, leave it on THEN put the clarifying shampoo on top of that straight. You can feel the shampoo breaking up the condish but the hair isn't completely stripped off feeling. It can be if you use too much 'poo, tho. Kinda gotta get a feel for what's enough

HTH :)

Last edited:

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
btw, my cleansing condish one of the first ingredients is cocoa butter and shea butter. but the method still works. those clarifyers are hecka strong to break thru that mess.

venusfly

I think clarifying conditioner is still just a clarifying shampoo. It's just a marketing thing. If they say conditioner it implies its not harsh and stripping, and most people usually find clarifying shampoos harsh and drying on the hair. So they say clarifying conditioner because mentally we associate "conditioner" with being gentle and moisturizing. It's just marketing and word association I think.

Lilmama1011

I think clarifying conditioner is still just a clarifying shampoo. It's just a marketing thing. If they say conditioner it implies its not harsh and stripping, and most people usually find clarifying shampoos harsh and drying on the hair. So they say clarifying conditioner because mentally we associate "conditioner" with being gentle and moisturizing. It's just marketing and word association I think.

venusfly I think it's a big difference. If you check the ingredients they don't compare to a clarifying shampoo, it has a lot of sulfates. The clarifying conditioner has minor cleaner agents. If i had to put in order from strongest to weakest cleaning i would say, clarifying shampoo, moisturizing shampoo, clarifying conditioner, and then cleansing conditioner being the weakest in cleansing. Even though the v05 I'd cheap it doesn't have sulfates but the citrus acts as a natural cleansing agent, but then again I'm pretty sure you may find some sulfates in some clarifying conditioners like you do in some regular conditioners

Lilmama1011

Just tried the V05 kiwi clarifying conditioner and I love. It reminded me of a cleansing conditioner. It felt clean but not stripped, it's a keeper :) I thought it would strip because it says clarify, glad it didn't