Clarifying Shampoo Help

moonwalking

I'm just now building a regime for myself and wanted to know if anyone could help me with finding a Clarifying shampoo. I bought a Suave shampoo (Tropical Coconut) for $1.30 at RiteAid and I THINK it's a clarifying shampoo... How should I know the difference? All the shampoos I looked at didnt really scream "Clarifying" on them. And as you can tell this will be my first time clarifying... :spinning:

sharifeh

im not sure about the suave, what kind of shampoo does it say that it is?
if a shampoo doesn't say clarifying on it, maybe it will say "deep cleansing" or "removes build up"
some clarifying shampoo
nexxus aloe rid
ors creamy aloe
keracare 1st lather
Avalon Organic Lemon, Shea Butter and Babbasu Oil Clarifying Shampoo

here are some good threads to read

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=393422&highlight=clarifying+shampoo

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=154231&highlight=clarifying+shampoo

Last edited:

Jetblackhair

I don't believe the Suave Tropical Coconut Shampoo is a clarifying shampoo, however Suave does make a "Daily Clarifying Shampoo". That's the actual name on the bottle.

isabella09

I purchased recently (after researching the forum) but haven’t tried Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo, it’s a clarifying shampoo which doesn’t contain any; Lauryl Or Laureth Sulfates. No Methyl Or Propyl Parabens. No Artificial Color or Fragrances. I hope it’s not too drying for my hair.

Last edited:

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
Suave recently changed their daily clarifying shampoo. It used to be in a clear bottle. I like it when I have a lot of build up, but it can be very drying. I like Mizani's puriphying better.

CleverGypsy

ORS creamy aloe is my new favorite. I just used it for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised. Thoroughly cleaned my hair but didn't strip it bone dry.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
How should I know the difference? All the shampoos I looked at didnt really scream "Clarifying" on them. And as you can tell this will be my first time clarifying... :spinning:

Yes. They should say that they are a Clarifying Shampoo on the Label.:yep: The Ladies have given you a lot of good options. I also "hear" that V05 makes a Clarifying Shampoo as well. Not sure of the Name or Which One.

Here are a few that I have and have used/or own:

Avalon Organics Lemon, Shea Butter and Babbasu Oil
Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo
*Abba Molasses Clarifier (have not used yet)
Nexxus Aloe Rid

Whichever one you decide on, make sure you follow up with moisturizer products.:yep:

Mattie26

Yes. They should say that they are a Clarifying Shampoo on the Label.:yep: The Ladies have given you a lot of good options. I also "hear" that V05 makes a Clarifying Shampoo as well. Not sure of the Name or Which One.

Here are a few that I have and have used/or own:

Avalon Organics Lemon, Shea Butter and Babbasu Oil
Aubrey Organics Green Tea Clarifying Shampoo
*Abba Molasses Clarifier (have not used yet)
Nexxus Aloe Rid

Whichever one you decide on, make sure you follow up with moisturizer products.:yep:

I just bought the VO5 Clarifyiing Shampoo Herbal escape collection Kiwi Lime Squeeze @ Dollar Tree works pretty good so fare.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
I just bought the VO5 Clarifyiing Shampoo Herbal escape collection Kiwi Lime Squeeze @ Dollar Tree works pretty good so fare.

Thanks Girl. I knew they made one. Wasn't sure of the name.:yep:

They all (from the one's I've used) have the tendency to strip somewhat as they "cleanse" so it's imperative to put adequate moisture back into your hair.

*Oh, I've thought of another one I have but haven't used, is Bentonite Clay. Not a Shampoo, although Ladies are using it to Clarify and Cleanse their hair/scalp.*

moonwalking

Thanks all for the responses! I just went and exchanged my Suave Coconut shampoo for Pantene's Clarifying shampoo. (Nexxus Aloe Rid sounds good but too expensive :ohwell:) But I'll try Pantene tonight!

Wish me luck :wave:

MrsSmitty77

I use KeraCare 1st Lather and it is really good. I usually have to do two sudsing because I get hardly no lather with the first and I know that's the oils and products keeping the suds down. The second lather usually have tons of suds. Next I use the KeraCare detangling shampoo and I suds it up and let it sit for a few minutes then rinse it out and DC. So far so good.

moonwalking

Update...
I just used the Pantene and so far so good. My hair did feel dry (which based on the forums I expected that) but squeaky clean. I then followed up with my Nexxus Therappe shampoo and never seen so many suds! Amazing... But hair didn't feel so dry after that and then I followed up with a DC with Nex. Kerapix AND Nex. Humectress (sp?). I then treated it with a moisturizer of CD Marguerite's Magic and let it air dry. Hair feels soft and supple :) So far so good.

Last edited:

Mattie26

Thanks Girl. I knew they made one. Wasn't sure of the name.:yep:

They all (from the one's I've used) have the tendency to strip somewhat as they "cleanse" so it's imperative to put adequate moisture back into your hair.

*Oh, I've thought of another one I have but haven't used, is Bentonite Clay. Not a Shampoo, although Ladies are using it to Clarify and Cleanse their hair/scalp.*

I learned this the hard way this weekend. I had to clarify like 4 times in two days because the new leave-in's that tried left little grit balls in my hair so I had to keep washing it to get everything out. I've started to baggy to try and put more moisture back into my hair so fare so good. But the clarifying shampoo really works great.:yep:

isabella09

I purchased recently (after researching the forum) but haven’t tried Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat Shampoo, it’s a clarifying shampoo which doesn’t contain any; Lauryl Or Laureth Sulfates. No Methyl Or Propyl Parabens. No Artificial Color or Fragrances. I hope it’s not too drying for my hair.

Product review; Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat shampoo cleaned my scalp extremely well and I loved the tingling feeling on the scalp the but my hair felt too stripped and dry. After looking at IDareT'sHair's post, I’m going to try Avalon Organics Lemon Clarifying Shampoo for my next clarifying session. Thanks very much for the product suggestion list IDareT'sHair.

Last edited:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
^^^^^

You're Very Welcome Isabella

Avalon Organics is not as stripping as most of the others. And I think the Shea, Lemon and Babbasu Oil plays a big part. When you Clarify you are totally 'cleansing' the hair regardless of the one you use. Some are Far more "Harsh" than others. I also have the Avalon Lemon Clarifying Conditioner as well and have actually done a clarifying co-wash with it.:yep:

We had a very detailed discussion last night in the Use 1 Buy 1 Thread about Clarifying, how some perceive it just to be used specifically to remove "cones" when actually IMO it acts more like a detoxifier for your hair.

Even those that tend to use natural products still can have product build up and can greatly benefit from clarifying and/or chelating their hair.:look:

When you think about all the Gels, Spritzes & Sprays, Serums, Hair Oils, Scalp Oils, Conditioners, Puddings and Leave-Ins we use, we could all benefit from detoxing our hair on occasion.:yep:

The main key to clarifying is restoring the moisture back into your hair. I have found that DC'ing with Heat after Co-Washing totally restored moisture back into my Hair. So, when people say they clarified and it took "days" to get the life back into their hair, either the 'Poo was too harsh or they didn't take the proper measures to DC their hair after detoxing it.:yep:

When you Detox the Body, You have to Carefully put fluids back in. Same Concept.

isabella09

^^^^^

You're Very Welcome Isabella

Avalon Organics is not as stripping as most of the others. And I think the Shea, Lemon and Babbasu Oil plays a big part. When you Clarify you are totally 'cleansing' the hair regardless of the one you use. Some are Far more "Harsh" than others. I also have the Avalon Lemon Clarifying Conditioner as well and have actually done a clarifying co-wash with it.:yep:

We had a very detailed discussion last night in the Use 1 Buy 1 Thread about Clarifying, how some perceive it just to be used specifically to remove "cones" when actually IMO it acts more like a detoxifier for your hair.

Even those that tend to use natural products still can have product build up and can greatly benefit from clarifying and/or chelating their hair.:look:

When you think about all the Gels, Spritzes & Sprays, Serums, Hair Oils, Scalp Oils, Conditioners, Puddings and Leave-Ins we use, we could all benefit from detoxing our hair on occasion.:yep:

The main key to clarifying is restoring the moisture back into your hair. I have found that DC'ing with Heat after Co-Washing totally restored moisture back into my Hair. So, when people say they clarified and it took "days" to get the life back into their hair, either the 'Poo was too harsh or they didn't take the proper measures to DC their hair after detoxing it.:yep:

When you Detox the Body, You have to Carefully put fluids back in. Same Concept.

Great post. :yep: I absolutely agree with you especially the highlighted. I shampoo with GodHead Max Moisture & Gro Shampoo which is an all-natural shampoo and I still have build-up. This was my very first time clarifying and after this session I completely realized the importance of this step in my general regimen (whether I use growth aids or not) as my scalp felt extremely clean afterwards.
Thanks again :)

Last edited:

ladysaraii

I bought Pantene Clarifying shampoo since that was the only one I saw w/ that label. So far, I like it.

pattyr5

Last night, I used for the first time Giovanni 50:50 Balanced Shampoo. The bottle said its a hydrating and clarifying shampoo. I think it gave a decent result, my hair felt cleanand soft but not stripped down. It's also protective of color; I didn't see a lot of my color rinse flowing down the drain. At RiteAid it cost $7.50...if you like a ton of suds this one may disappoint in that area, but it's sulfate free and is certified vegan.