Clarifying Shampoo

Peachtree

Ladies, I need help.
I want to add a clarifying shampoo to my product "need to buy" list, but I have no idea where to begin. I've never used one before, but I think my hair would greatly benefit from a "deep cleansing". I need some recommendations.

My current regime (twice weekly) is as follows: pre-shampoo w/olive oil, hot 6 oil, or jojoba oil; shampoo with Motions (moisture plus or cpr); deep condition with Motions (moisture plus or cpr); roller set w/Motions leave in conditioner, hot six oil, & (occasionally) diluted Miss Cool. (Once my Motions shampoos are gone, I'm going to try Creme of Nature).

Now, my hair responds really well to this regime, however, I would like to "deeply cleanse" away the products that may be slowly building up...especially because Motions conditioners contain "mineral oil". Please be a sweetheart & help a sista' out /images/graemlins/wink.gif.

God Bless,
Peachtree

H

HoneyRockette

Pantene clarifying shampoo is pretty good. Biosynthesis' shampoo is clear and it sure does make my hair squeaky clean. There is also a product called "De-Gunk" or "De-Funk" that I saw in Ricky's once. It doesn't clearly say clarifying shampoo but it says on the bottle it gets rid of all the gunk your shampoo leaves behind. It doesn't have a smell either which is good because that means it is really pure. If all else fails my mother uses baking soda to clarify her hair.

Peachtree

HoneyRockette,
I feel sort of...let's say nicely.."STUPID" /images/graemlins/grin.gif asking this question...but, how can I tell if the clarifying shampoo cleansed away the buildup? You mentioned that your hair feels "squeaky clean"...will it also maybe feel sort of "dry" and "hard"? Just asking because when I do "clarify" my hair, I want to make sure that I'm getting it completely clean. Also, how frequent should I use it?
(Girl, I'm sorry to bombard you with questions, but I'm like a sponge right now...I need to absorb as much info as I can!)

Thanks soooooooooooo much /images/graemlins/cool.gif

H

HoneyRockette

No need to feel stupid. I just discovered the joys of clarifying myself. After clarifying, my hair feels drier, but not bad dry. It just feels like nothing is on it. It isn't soft but it feels smoother. My hair is shinier too. It has a natural looking sheen. It also feels, what is the word? Lighter? It is fly away, I guess because all the gunk in my hair weighs it down. It wisps away in the slightest gust of wind. Do you understand? I don't know if I made myself clear or not. It is hard to describe now that I think about it. That is how it feels when I don't put anything on my hair after I wash, (no conditioner or anything).

H

HoneyRockette

Oh and I clarufy once or month or when my hair feels especially gunky, which ever comes first.

hairfanatic

I agree with HoneyRockette,

The Biosynthesis is an excellent clarifying shampoo. Their protein conditioner is good also. I am there system every eight weeks now.

I'm going to sound like a broken record but I really like the L'anza Deep Cleansing shampoo. (I seem to be really singing praises for L'anza all week /images/graemlins/crazy.gif ).

It really removes product build up and leaves hair literally squeaky clean but not dry. Your hair feels lighter and any natural highlights will show because you've stripped away all the gunk. The ingredients in it are fantastic e.g.comfrey extract, nettle extract, grapeseed extract, keratin etc etc. so its all good 'food' for the hair too /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm on my 2nd or 3rd bottle now. Check out www.lanza.com to read more on it. Click on 'urban elements' and select 'deep cleansing shampoo'

Integrity

my fave is herbal essences shampoo is a very good clarifier (but it doesnt say on the bottle!) it also detangles, is cheap and smells awesome!

L.A. Woman

I still rely on Abba's Molasses Purifier. It really works and you'll know by the sheen your hair has and it'll be baby soft...

Eyvonne7131

Hi Peachtree,

Alberto V05 makes a great clarifying shampoo and the clarifying conditioner is wonderful! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

NayNay

I use the Paul Mitchell Tea Tree and those sulfates and tea tree really strip my hair. My hair is tangly afterwards because the shampoo really takes off all the products. I only use it when my hair stops responding to products/roller setting and feels YUCKY-once per month or longer.

jrw

I love Aussie Citrifier shampoo. It is a great clarifier and I feel it moisturizes my hair as well. I used to also just add baking soda to my shampoo. Just mix about a tablespoon or so with my shampoo in a cup and wash my hair as usual. I stopped doing that when I found the Aussie shampoo.

BlkMane

I like Nexxus Aloe Rid Gentle Clarifying Shampoo.. it seems to be very mild and it doesn't contain any harsh stuff.

Peachtree

Oh my goodness,
You ladies are simply AWESOME! Although I feel overwhelmed with so many different responses, I am also very, very pleased that I received them! I have made a list of everyone's recommendations; I will try to read up on each of them (you know, the ingredients, etc) & find one that works best for my hair. Thanks soooooo much ladies /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

God Bless you all
Peachtree

sweetcocoa

I mix some Real Lemon juice with my shampoo when I want clarifying. It works like a charm. Clarifying shampoos are too harsh for me.