Clarifying shampoos

mech

What's the difference in a regular shampoo and a clarifying shampoo? Do you ladies notice a difference in hair when you use one as opposed to the other? And what clarifying shampoos are you ladies using? tia!

bride91501

I despise shampoo, and only use a clarifying poo once/month because I've always read that it's needed to rid my hair of the cones I use. I use V05 Clarifying Shampoo, or Ions Clarifying Shampoo.

Last summer, at the beginning of my HHJ, I used Jane Carter's sulfate free shampoo, and I was surprised at how non-stripped my hair felt afterwards (not as good as co-washing, but not bad).

HTH

Etherealsmile

The major difference IMO between a clarifying and a Non clarifying shampoo is that a clarifying shampoo removes all the excess buildup of oils, leave ins, dirt and whatever else you might have accumulated in your hair/scalp. A regular shampoo to me does not work in depth to completely remove build up of products in your strands.

My clarifying shampoo is home made. I use a cheapie conditioner (think Vo5) + baking soda.

This combo works like a dream to leave your hair squeaky clean and soft:yep:

SimJam

what the other ladies said abt the difference between clarfying and non clarifying poo.

I use a bentonite clay mix (5 heaping teaspoons of bentonite clay, in 8 oz of tea made with hibiscus,fenugreek, nettle and burbock root, 8oz of aloevera juice)

or I wash with black soap.

I wash with either one weekly as I use alot of butters and the oyin bsp tends to also buildup on my hair.

my DCs always always work better after a clarifying wash .... always

Kneechay

its interesting this thread came up today because this week I was feverishly searching for topics on here regarding CSs. More recently, I've been needing to wash sooner, like in every 2 days because of discomfort on my scalp. Usually, I could go more than a week before that. I realized I hadn't done some sort of clarifying in a LONG time. I was using a coconut oil based Organix moisturizing shampoo.

I use a lot of oils and shea butter on my hair and I had a lot of build up. I use Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat. It's very cleansing, sulfate free, and it tingles which is soothing. I use it maybe once or twice a month.

kandiekj100

Would ya'll say that henna clarifies? I ask b/c after a henna treatment my scalp is bare. No flakes, no oil, no dirt, nada.

Ronnieaj

I use ORS Creamy Aloe Shampoo every six weeks when I do a heavy protein treatment, and the week after I straighten (which is only 3-4 times/year). It's a chelating and clarifying shampoo, so my hair is ultra squeaky clean.

Otherwise, I use the original CON red during the summer and green during the winter. I don't cowash, for some reason it's the debil on my natural hair.