Clarifying vs. shampooing

morehairplease

Ladies if I clarify once a week, or every 2 weeks, with a clarifying conditioner do I need to use shampoo? If I clarify only can I completely omit the use of shampoo?

thanks in advance ladies,
tishee

Lucie

Dancin' on sunshine!
tishee said:
Ladies if I clarify once a week, or every 2 weeks, with a clarifying conditioner do I need to use shampoo? If I clarify only can I completely omit the use of shampoo?

thanks in advance ladies,
tishee

I have never heard of a clarifying conditioner :confused:

I use clarifying shampoos every 4-6 week and follow up with a deep conditioner. I use Nexxus, Aloe Rid.

Clarifying shampoo should be used every 4-6 weeks. It removes buildup on your scalp. But if you use it too often, it can dry out your hair.

Be blessed :p

MissFallon

I clarify once a week or once every two weeks depending on how oily my hair is or how my hair reacted to my products the past week. I always follow with a moisturizing shampoo like CON diluted with water and then a deep conditioner. I've never heard of a clarifying conditioner either.

MzTami

Hellerrrr
PrettyHaitian said:

I use clarifying shampoos every 4-6 week and follow up with a deep conditioner. I use Nexxus, Aloe Rid.

Clarifying shampoo should be used every 4-6 weeks. It removes buildup on your scalp. But if you use it too often, it can dry out your hair.

Suave has clarifying shampoo and conditioner.

Tishee, this is a good question, but do you mean if you can substitue clarifying shampoo for regular shampoo?

SparklingFlame

VO5 has a clarifying cond. called Kiwi Lime Squeeze that works well. I CW with it when I need to clarify and sometimes I poo with CON and then use the Kiwi Lime. You can shampoo or not with the clarifing cond IMHO.

morehairplease

PrettyHaitian said:

hi PrettyHaitian,

Currently I use the kiwi & lime squeeze clarifying conditioner by VO5. Will look into getting a clarifying shampoo this weekend.
thanks PH

morehairplease

MissFallon said:
I clarify once a week or once every two weeks depending on how oily my hair is or how my hair reacted to my products the past week. I always follow with a moisturizing shampoo like CON diluted with water and then a deep conditioner. I've never heard of a clarifying conditioner either.

thanks MissFallon,

I have only used clarifying conditioner never shampoos for fear they would dry my hair out. My hair is extremely dry and it gets even drier after using a clarifying conditioner. I will def. look into getting a clarifying poo/moisturizing poo though.

morehairplease

MzTami said:
Suave has clarifying shampoo and conditioner.

Tishee, this is a good question, but do you mean if you can substitue clarifying shampoo for regular shampoo?

Hi MzTami,

I have only seen the Suave clarifying shampoo & not the conditioner....will look for that next time. I wanted to know if I could substitue a clarifying conditioner for regular/clarifying shampoo.

morehairplease

naturallady said:
VO5 has a clarifying cond. called Kiwi Lime Squeeze that works well. I CW with it when I need to clarify and sometimes I poo with CON and then use the Kiwi Lime. You can shampoo or not with the clarifing cond IMHO.

thanks naturallady!

MzTami

Hellerrrr
tishee said:
Hi MzTami,

I have only seen the Suave clarifying shampoo & not the conditioner....will look for that next time. I wanted to know if I could substitue a clarifying conditioner for regular/clarifying shampoo.
Oh Okay...bumping for advice. :)

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
a regular shampoo is sufficient for me for getting rid of buildup. clarifying shampoos are too stripping for my hair.

morehairplease

krissyprissy said:
How can a conditioner get rid of build up? Its sounds like a conditioner that doesnt add more build up to me.

hi sweetie,

The VO5 conditioner that I use to clarify w/gives my hair a stripped feeling, I do not know if this is good or bad though. Is the purpose of a clarifying poo/conditioner to give the hair a stripped feeling? If so, the Vo5 conditioner does this for me would it be okay to just use this instead of a regular shampoo/clarifying poo. Also the shampoo that I use, Eluence moisture balance, gives my hair a stripped feeling as well. Does this mean that the shampoo is too harsh for my hair?

tia,
tishee

morehairplease

Poohbear said:
a regular shampoo is sufficient for me for getting rid of buildup. clarifying shampoos are too stripping for my hair.

thanks Poohbear. Now that I think about it this Vo5 conditioner is very stripping to my hair :confused: but so is the 'moisture' shampoo that I use from time to time, Eluence :confused: :confused: . I would really love to go shampoo less though.

OneInAMillion

I just started using the V05 Kiwi Lime Clarifying shampoo & conditioner. I don't find them drying, but I lather once with shampoo. If you find the conditioner stripping, I would try to find something more gentle. Sorry I can't really recommend something, as I've only used the cheapies.

Have you tried ACV rinses? I'm looking into those.

morehairplease

OneInAMillion said:
I just started using the V05 Kiwi Lime Clarifying shampoo & conditioner. I don't find them drying, but I lather once with shampoo. If you find the conditioner stripping, I would try to find something more gentle. Sorry I can't really recommend something, as I've only used the cheapies.

Have you tried ACV rinses? I'm looking into those.

thansk OneInAMillion,

I called my local library and had the curly girl book put on hold for me. Tommorrow I plan on picking it up and reading it b/c I am really interested in going shampoo less, or at least low poo, starting in Jan. I will definately look into the acv rinses thanks a bunches for that suggestion.

tishee