CLARIFYING

freshlikemoi

:hiya:Ladies

I know that we are to clarify atleast once a month, and others do it more. But my question is, in order to clarify do you need a clarifying shampoo? Or are all shampoos clarifiers? The reason I ask is, clarifying shampoos are to remove product build up...but don't regular shampoos do that as well?

Arcadian

:hiya:Ladies

I know that we are to clarify atleast once a month, and others do it more. But my question is, in order to clarify do you need a clarifying shampoo? Or are all shampoos clarifiers? The reason I ask is, clarifying shampoos are to remove product build up...but don't regular shampoos do that as well?

Regular shampoo can remove some product build up, but, if you have ALOT of product buildup, its best to use something specifically for that job.

I use Kenra Chelating Shampoo. Sometimes I'll use it every other week depending on what I've tried on my hair:)rolleyes:)

-A

gymfreak336

Shampoo in general removes dirt and stuff but even then you do need a separate clarifying shampoo. It doesn't have to be expensive, I like the 99cent vo5 kiwi and lime clarifying shampoo. I also use design essentials organic cleanse. I usually clarify once every 3 weeks or so.

freshlikemoi

I have a suave one that works really well. But I stopped using it because I thought I could just use my pantene ProV as a clarifying shampoo. But now I completely understand how this works out.:sunshine:

gymfreak336

I also use the suave clarifying shampoo. It's a good one to me!

I bought that for my sister last night. I have been helping her with her hair. She said her hair has been feeling hard no matter what conditioner she uses. I asked when was the last time she clarified. She said never :eek: needless to say I was at kmart with her at 3 this morning.

InnerSoul

clarifying does away with hard hair!!:lachen:

I notice when I Feel my hair isn't staying moisturized...that is my cue to clarify:yep:

jade998

Hmmm..this might be why I have me some air dry mess sometimes. My hair was going through issues being as hard as :bricks: I am going to buy the Nexxus one and try that.

Hopefully I will be :pulpdance: when I am done.

strenght81

Regular shampoo can remove some product build up, but, if you have ALOT of product buildup, its best to use something specifically for that job.

I use Kenra Chelating Shampoo. Sometimes I'll use it every other week depending on what I've tried on my hair:)rolleyes:)

-A

what is a chelating shampoo?

Alpha Female

I asked my hair stylist if she could clarify my hair after a touch-up, and she said the relaxer chemical acts as a 'clarifier.' Does that sound right?! Would using clarifying shampoo cause damage after a relaxer?

jade998

Could someone name some chelating shampoo's except mizani, that is the only one I hear people talking about.

I know that we have very hard water here in London

Found this info:

Reasons to clarify the hair is to remove buildup from the surface of the hair. 3Tablespoons of Baking Soda (not baking powder, they are not the same thing) well blended with 3Tablespoons of Shampoo will work excellently! It's a little drying, so be sure to follow immediately with a deep conditioning or leave the conditioner of your choice in for a longer than normal time (perhaps putting up in a shower cap or plastic bag and returning to the shower to rinse out).

Baking Soda is a natural cleansing agent that I use in laundry to help lift stains. In breads, it's a quick riser. Baking Soda+Baking Powder in quick bread recipes (combined with egg) replace yeast in rising bread recipes.

One can choose to purchase a Clarifying shampoo. If doing so, be sure to look for that term on the label, and be forewarned there is a thing known as Chelating Shampoo. If interested in clarifying, do not purchase a chelating shampoo with that term on the label. Chelating Shampoo goes deeper, working at the level of the cortex of hair, and removes chemical bonds from the hair strand. For example, in salons to prepare the hair for coloring or perming, the hair is washed with a chelating shampoo.

In some buildup situations, one might need to Clarify Shampoo two times, remotely possible a third. If one thinks they need to Chelate, it's important to start by Clarifying first to be sure. If unsure, try two times of clarifying before thinking about going to chelating. Some people know what they're after, so in this case do what you know to do...but don't just go to chelating if you are unsure. Proceed in a stage by stage manner.

In both clarifying and chelating, these really remove the oils off the hair and leave the strands very vulnerable, perhaps a bit brittle-y if not conditioned well, and certainly fly away and crispy sounding during detangling (once the hair is dry. By this I don't mean detangle dry hair only although that's an important concept; no, I mean once clarifying or chelating is complete, if the hair isn't conditioned immediately in that session and allowed to air dry (or dry how ever) then the hair might sound crispy or crackly during detangling, once dry).

Hmmm now I wonder if I should use a cheleting shampoo

Last edited:

Lovestyr

I have to admit I dont think I have every bought a clarifying shampoo for my hair,:nono:. Dont worry ladies I am still learning... I am on my way to wally world right after this post to buy some...:lick: