Clarifying?

jdbe

Hello,

I just recently settled on a hair regime that seems to be working for me:

-Prepoo with Beauty for Ashes Scalp Cream

-Shampoo/DC 1 week with Elucene Moisturizing shampoo and Elucene Moisture Benefits conditioner or Kenra Moistruizing conditioner

-Alternate weeks with Aubrey Organics GPB Protein conditioner on dry hair

-Apply Lacio/Lacio and Giovanni direct as a leave in

-Seal with a shea butter, coconut oil, and jojoba oil mixture

I don't use a Clarifying shampoo, so my question is do you think it is necessary for a healthy hair regime and how do you know if you need to clarify? I did a search and there are quite a few threads on good clarifying shampoos but I didn't find anything on whether you need to use one and what are the consequences if you don't.

TIA

envybeauty

I clarify often bc I use a lot of products with cones (silicones). I know when to clarify when my hair won't absorb moisture. Most telling is how long it takes for my hair to get damp in the shower. If it takes too long then it means I have build up preventing the water from soaking in. It is necessary for me bc my hair loves products that create buildup.

For you, you have to look at your ingredient list to see if you are using products with cones. I would suggest clarifying to see if you feel a difference in your hair. A light clarifier is baking soda mixed with water, poo, or conditioner. It physically scrubs away buildup. I use VO5 clarifying poo bc it chemically breaks down the cones.

I clarify as my first poo. Use a very hydrating poo (Keracare) second lather, and then deep condition. Always deep condition no matter what!

jdbe

Thanks, Envybeauty! This is exactly what I needed to know, I will try mixing baking soda with my shampoo first before buying a clarifying shampoo and see if there is a difference in my hair.

Barbie83

Baking soda mixed with shampoo is the TRUTH :yep:

I tried this on Sunday for the 1st time ever, then DC'd with a moisture condish right after. The moisture and slip was ASTONISHING.

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Here's My Personal "Take" on Clarifying:look::

1) If you use alot of product that causes build-up and leaves hair feeling "tacky", coated or with a residue

2) You feel your products that once performed well are no longer performing at optimal levels i.e. no longer absorbing, moisturizing etc...

3) If you are trying a new product and you want to judge/determine the effectiveness

You could benefit from Clarifying either by using a mild clarifying shampoo, bentonite clay or similar product(s).

Clarifiers can be very drying/harsh/stripping/cleansing so you want to make sure you put the moisture back into your hair. I always Condition & DC afterwards.

When I was "bunning" I was using Gel, Serum, Heavy Leave-In to slick hair back & hold it down I felt I had to clarify more often.

But now, since my hairstyle and product selection has changed, I don't feel the need to clarify as often.

But will, either monthly or every six weeks.:yep:

Fhrizzball

Bentonite clay, soap nuts, or shampoo bars can't lift cones can they? I'm asking because poos sls or otherwise make my hair a tangled mess and I can't find an alternative to HE hello hydration conditioner which has the dime type cone in it.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but returning on topic I don't clarify either but IDare touched up on all the vitals. Some people clarify with hard water or if they have too much calcium in their water as well. It all depends on what your hair can handle though and make sure not to do it too often.

jdbe

One more question, does it make sense to prepoo with an oil treatment before doing a clarifying shampoo or will it basically remove everything?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
One more question, does it make sense to prepoo with an oil treatment before doing a clarifying shampoo or will it basically remove everything?

bumping for assistance...looking to wash my hair tonight :)

No!:hand:

Do Not Pre-Poo with Oil First.:perplexed

Clarify then proceed with your Hot Oil, DC Treatment or whatever else you are doing. Moisturize, Moisturize, Moisturize.:yep:

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
Bentonite clay, soap nuts, or shampoo bars can't lift cones can they? I'm asking because poos sls or otherwise make my hair a tangled mess and I can't find an alternative to HE hello hydration conditioner which has the dime type cone in it.

Sorry for hijacking this thread but returning on topic I don't clarify either but IDare touched up on all the vitals. Some people clarify with hard water or if they have too much calcium in their water as well. It all depends on what your hair can handle though and make sure not to do it too often.

To The First Bolded: Yes, You can use Bentonite to Clarify your hair and lift impurities: (See Thread) There are other Threads as well on Bentonite.
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=234193&page=3

To the Second Bolded: Hard Water, Calicum Deposit can also result from No-Lye Relaxers and You would want to use a Chelating Shampoo for that.:yep:

jdbe

LOL, thanks for your response!! I figured it didn't make sense buy hey I'm new at this so wanted to make sure. Off to wash my hair in another hour or sooo....

msa

Do a little research on dimethicone. I can't remember, but I don't think it's that difficult to remove.

LOL, thanks for your response!! I figured it didn't make sense buy hey I'm new at this so wanted to make sure. Off to wash my hair in another hour or sooo....

I always oil my hair with coconut oil before I get it wet. I know for most people it doesn't make sense to oil and then clarify because it's going to remove the oil anyway. But coconut oil has such great properties (helps keep your hair from swelling too much while wet) that I have to use it before I get my hair wet.

yardgirl

I clarify with ORS Creamy Aloe shampoo about once every 3 to 4 weeks. I always do a mild protein and moisturising DC right after.

Aggie

Here's My Personal "Take" on Clarifying:look::

1) If you use alot of product that causes build-up and leaves hair feeling "tacky", coated or with a residue

2) You feel your products that once performed well are no longer performing at optimal levels i.e. no longer absorbing, moisturizing etc...

3) If you are trying a new product and you want to judge/determine the effectiveness

You could benefit from Clarifying either by using a mild clarifying shampoo, bentonite clay or similar product(s).

Clarifiers can be very drying/harsh/stripping/cleansing so you want to make sure you put the moisture back into your hair. I always Condition & DC afterwards.

When I was "bunning" I was using Gel, Serum, Heavy Leave-In to slick hair back & hold it down I felt I had to clarify more often.

But now, since my hairstyle and product selection has changed, I don't feel the need to clarify as often.

But will, either monthly or every six weeks.:yep:

My goodness T, I think you and I are heading in the same direction when It comes to hair care, especially the infrequency of clarifying because of our choices in products.

By the way, I agree with your entire post here.

I just want to add that many people are not aware of when to chelate their hair as well. Sometimes we would clarify it and nothing will seem to happen. That may be because chelating is needed.

Chelators remove hard water build-up, chlorine, salt, calcium and mineral build-up from our hair. They are different from clarifyers.

An example of a clarifyer is Elucence Acidifying Poo, Mizani Phormula 7 Neutralizing poo, ORS Olive Oil Creamy ALoe Shampoo. Neutralizing Shampoos are mostly chelators.