Classic Length 2013

constance

Poohbear, I only style it once. At the end of the day I take out the pins (one is visible in the pic) and loosen the twist a bit and then tie it up in a headscarf. I do not use elastics or ponytail holders-I just twist the hair around itself and pin.

Right now I'm washing my hair once every 1-1.5 wks.

Vintagecoilylocks

Poohbear, I only style it once. At the end of the day I take out the pins (one is visible in the pic) and loosen the twist a bit and then tie it up in a headscarf. I do not use elastics or ponytail holders-I just twist the hair around itself and pin.

I might have to try this method. Ist getting longer and my lead hairs just are annoying with braiding and twisting.:yep: How much detangling are you facing each evening?

constance

I might have to try this method. Ist getting longer and my lead hairs just are annoying with braiding and twisting.:yep: How much detangling are you facing each evening?

Vintagecoilylocks, [guilty look] I only detangle in the shower when I shampoo & dc. I saturate with evoo or a leave in and keep the ends straight. If I can manage to do that (keep ends straight) while they dry and afterward, it's smooth sailing.

I'm really making retaining every inch a priority bc I'm still undecided on this whole trimming thing when the ends are healthy just uneven. It's like hari kari or something. :lol:

Last edited:

ilong

God's Own
Toy - congratulations on your upcoming marriage. I know you will be a Cinderella bride.

I looked at your pics and your hair is absolutely beautiful. Looks like you are already at classic length or so close it really doesn't matter.

truequeen06

Wow its been this long since I was on here. Welcome and beautiful hair BTW.

Are you natural, what is your regimine. We have lots of lurkers and supporters who want to someday make it to longer lengths. Your calculations sound about right. Hope we are all at Classic and beyond this time next year. :yep:

I'm just now seeing this! Thank you for the welcome :grin:

I am fully natural. I've never not been natural (yes I know double negative).

I wash and deep condition once a week. Between washes and conditioning, I cowash or just rinse my hair in the morning (because I want to do a wash n go, but mostly because I like the feeling of water on my scalp). I moisturize everyday and use coconut oil or olive oil to seal. For styling, I do a lot of buns, ponytails, and wash n go's.

Toy

@Toy - congratulations on your upcoming marriage. I know you will be a Cinderella bride.

I looked at your pics and your hair is absolutely beautiful. Looks like you are already at classic length or so close it really doesn't matter.

ilong,Thank you that was so sweet a Cinderella bride...I think i am very close to classic haven't check, dont want that much hair.what i am dealing with now is enough.Thank you sweet compliment:grin::grin:

Dee Raven

Ya, where is everybody? I don't think I'm going to be able to make this challenge (CL seems so long), but I'm still holding in. I think I should be back to TBL by December. Will see for end of the year length check. Then I should technically have about three inches left from there, so I should (again technically) be able to hit CL sometime next year with a few trims included. Yaa!

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made

constance - I wish my bun could be done without elastics or ponytail holders and still have the volume like yours. My hair is currently APL/BSB but it's uber shrinky! And how do you keep the top and sides from forming those humps? In other words, how do you keep the top and sides laid down with just hair pins? When I tried to do this awhile ago, I get that poofy hump on top and it makes my bun look smaller. I'm gonna try it again tomorrow morning. I feel like ponytail holders may cause unseen breakage.

constance

Poohbear, my hair shrinks a lot too. I was able to keep the hair flat in the one pic bc my hair was wet and I wrapped a scarf around it while it dried.

If my hair is already dry then I will have a fluffier/less sleek look. I section it and twist it in 2 or three concentric circles like a cinnamon bun. The crown area is the first section, the nape is the second & I twist that around the crown section, and the front is parted and becomes the third section that I twist around the other two. I tuck the hair under itself and pin with plastic pins or those wide hair pins. Here are 2 pics. (Sorry about the size.)

Last edited:

leiah

constance gorgeous!

I like these pins for buns, they are like 3 inches long.

now I use a hairstick every day. If I dont want the look of a stick I have tiny ones that are completely hidden in my hair

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
Poohbear, my hair shrinks a lot too. I was able to keep the hair flat in the one pic bc my hair was wet and I wrapped a scarf around it while it dried.

If my hair is already dry then I will have a fluffier/less sleek look. I section it and twist it in 2 or three concentric circles like a cinnamon bun. The crown area is the first section, the nape is the second & I twist that around the crown section, and the front is parted and becomes the third section that I twist around the other two. I tuck the hair under itself and pin with plastic pins or those wide hair pins. Here are 2 pics. (Sorry about the size.)

constance - gorgeous big bun!!! I tried to use just the goody's hair day pin but it did not work for me. My bun was too small for my liking. I think I need more length in order to achieve a bun like yours.

So instead, I decided to just use a small ponytail holder without having to loop it around twice! And my bun still held in place. I was excited. In order to do this, I held the base of my hair and looped it around my hand then put the ponytail holder over the whole bun. Letting my hair airdry in flat twists prior to doing this really helped with getting enough bulk for my bun. I did a flat twists in the front/side:

Here's a couple of pics:

constance

leiah, you have lovely hair! Thanks for sharing a pic of those pins. The only tools I have are those short Goody pins and chopsticks used as hair sticks. I will def. add these to my stash.

Poohbear, I like your hair style. Your bun looks happy and full, and I love your earrings!

Vintagecoilylocks

Thanks ladies for all the updates.
NJoy thanks for the bump.

constance Just loveing that twisted bun

Poohbear your natural hair is looking so nice

I' ve off line for a while and no power due to storm. Even when I had access to the library it prevents you from posting. Oh well I am back for now.

I have stayed in small braids but today will detangle before tommorrow's wash day and put in larger braids just to take a break. My crown and front sides which were the shortest are finally grazing hip. I am being patient and keeping it moisturized and detangled. My curls are their own worst enemy the way they back curl and create knots. This week I purchased large satin covered curlers to roll them and put and end to that. I had hesitated because I liked the curls but they like to tangle. Now my daughter's will go into a perfect pencil size curl and never tangle on ita self. My curls are actually more of a squiggly than a curl:yep:

I will try and get my daughter to take photo's in Dec.

Last photo loose taken

Last edited:

NJoy

Here I grow again!
constance;17061511 [USER=3145 said:
Poohbear[/USER][/URL], my hair shrinks a lot too. I was able to keep the hair flat in the one pic bc my hair was wet and I wrapped a scarf around it while it dried.

constance

That bun is :thud: I don't suppose you'd be willing to do a, uhh...:lick:...video...:lick:....perhaps.... :look:

Vintagecoilylocks

So I redudce my braids down to 8 from 15. My hair was thin after my shed. With the larger braids I can now see the 8-9 inch new growth. There is a definate thickness there I did not have a year ago. Yeah!

I knew I had a lot of shorties but it has taken a while to really show up. So Now I have a serious taper not due to breakage or shedding but from all the new growth. :spinning: I also have have the continued task of keeping those very curly new growth from tangling around the longer hair. Keeping it washed more frequently and detangle a least every 2 days has shown to be the only way to keep them under control.

So it will take 4-5 years for those to reach the length my hair is now. If my hair keeps growing on to finger tip I may stop there for a while and maintain.

Vintagecoilylocks

I am on a hair roller coaster. I just could not wait to reduce the amount of braids to speed up the process and I have just washed my hair with 7 braids but now I really miss the smaller braids. Now I don't know why again I wanted to get rid of them. Maybe it is faster. However, when I have really small braids detangling is fast but rebraiding is longer. With larger braids detangling is longer rebraiding is faster. I think I will time my self and then see if I will return to smaller. One thing my hair drys faster in smaller.:yep:

After a year of this I haven' t figuared out which ones are less damaging.:perplexed

Vintagecoilylocks

Well I was up till mid night last night going back to smaller braids. :yawn:

I do like them better. Still could break it down smaller. I like the way it behaves as if my hair is loose with out the hassel. Makes for really nice neat buns. :yep:

Vintagecoilylocks

Bumping to see how all of you are progressing on your journey to classic.

Nice to hear from you. My recovery from my shed is slow but hopeful. I have a layer at Classic and two more to nuture to Classic and longer. Its a journey alright. If I get to Finger tip with the longest layer I may have to go against my nature and maintain there for the other layers to catch up. Its just very tedious keeping the shorter layers detangled from the longer ones. My coils like to wrap around and twist around the longer hairs. But really I don't know if a cut will make all that much difference since I also have different textures:spinning:

Any advice from a long hair like you would be welcome. Are you at knee or longer?

Lita. Are you microtimming to maintain a layer at Classic? Or are you just letting it grow as long as it wants?

Lita

Vintagecoilylocks Hi! I was during major trims for a while & still had same issues..Then started micro trims..Same thing..Now,I'm just going to let it be..Do whatever..lol

Happy Hair Growing!

Last edited:

Vintagecoilylocks

Vintagecoilylocks Hi! I was during major trims for a while & still had same issues..Tgen started micro trims..Same thing..Now,I'm just going to let it be..Do whatever..lol

Happy Hair Growing!

Lita Thanks You are so right. I need to stop fretting over these layers and just learn to care for it the way it is. I never want to cut anyway because they may just come back and I may really mess up my hair. Then the thought of trying to maintain a shape that is not natural. :sad: I am officially offf the worrying about layers kick:yep:

Lita

Lita Thanks You are so right. I need to stop fretting over these layers and just learn to care for it the way it is. I never want to cut anyway because they may just come back and I may really mess up my hair. Then the thought of trying to maintain a shape that is not natural. :sad: I am officially offf the worrying about layers kick:yep:

Vintagecoilylocks Yep,just keep it healthy & let it be..

Happy Hair Growing!