Classic Length 2013

Vintagecoilylocks

Hi ladies,

Just wanted to make a home for those who are coming up on or have already pushed past BCL and TBL. Classic is just around the bum from TBL.

I have layers I am dealing with but my longest lengths have moved beyond TBL and needed a place to socialize.:yep:

So come on in and get comfy for the journey to Classic in 2013. No check in schedule. Just visit, chat hair and report reaching Classic.:yep:

You can use grazing classic, or full classic as your marker. The layers that start to develop at longer lengths some time take time to catch up.

I am currently on a no measure challenge til Sept 2012.

I use a modified Tightly Curly method which is working for me.

Experimenting with buns that don't require alot of gadets to keep up. I am partial to twists and braids to minimize tangles. Currently using 8 twists and braids.

Welcome the company on the way to Classic.

Vintagecoilylocks

Tweaked my regimine again. Hot dry weather pushed that. I also went down to 6 braids & twists. I have layers and my hair has multiple textures starting from the front and crown sorta 4aish changing to 3c-2ish as it gets down toward the nape. It has been working keeping the area's separate in braids and twists but as it gets longer that is getting tedious.

If I have to go to daily COW to keep moistured during this heat I may try dropping down to 4 braids. I just don't want to combine to much and run the risk of increased tangles. Right now my tangles are minimal. It may just be silliness on my part. My new regimine could probably handle it. Well come my wash tomorrow I will decide.

Whimsy

I'm only going to hit hip length in 2013, so I'm just subbing in hopes of gorgeous hair pics in here. :)

constance

Joining. I have 6.5-7 inches to CL so 17 mos seems like a realistic time frame. I'm in need of a trim but I'm deliberately waiting until I get where I'm going (CL) before I pull out the scissors (I really think my ragged ends have acted like a buffer).

Not sure when I'll straighten again but I'll measure in Dec, if not before.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
Vintagecoilylocks
I'm probably close to WL now and I am struggling with tangles. I don't think I want to go that long but I wanted to mention that my braids look a lot like yours (thick/thin wise not length) in your signature picture. I think our hair is similar.

Vintagecoilylocks

constance. I was thinking of you when I started this. I was thinking the same that it was a resonable time to make it. Besides this website needed a new Classic thread to get going. I don't use heat so my length checks will have to be either stretching or in a braid. I know there are many ladies out there already at or close to but like to lurk only. So we will consider them stealth company support.:grin:

Right know I only S&D. Haven't really had to destroy much. I did get rid of a few extremely long strands here and there the other day. So for the most part though I have layers they are fairly even.

You hair looks amazing in your avatar. At average rate of growth you have a good chance of being there in 12 mos.

I have not decided whether to maintain at Classic and wait for the layers yet. When get there I will decide. Right know just fine tuning the ole regimineto so when I get there it ill be just as easy to handle as when it was shorter.

Last edited:

Vintagecoilylocks

Vintagecoilylocks
I'm probably close to WL now and I am struggling with tangles. I don't think I want to go that long but I wanted to mention that my braids look a lot like yours (thick/thin wise not length) in your signature picture. I think our hair is similar.

I have to agree on the fact that I believe my under layer is similar to yours. Let me tell you some history. That under layer of mine use to always be broke off and shorter. Even after my hair journey started and I had achieved length with the other parts of my hair. I thought because it was softer it was ok and just did not grow. Always tangled though. Just last year I started treating it different then my 4ais 3' s and it is now the longest. I started making sure it got protein and started using conditioner as a leave in before my oils. Straight oils just gunked it up and it clumped and tangleged. Jan this year I went full TC/CG and it has really improved. I can say that I don't even consider tangles as an issue any more. Idk what your regimine is but you can beat the tangles. Tangles mean the hair is not in the condition it should be. And yes my hair is very fine. Its also very thin now after my shed but my normal head was still thin to med at best.

You need to reevaluate your products and method. It can be done.

Vintagecoilylocks

Joining. I have 6.5-7 inches to CL so 17 mos seems like a realistic time frame. I'm in need of a trim but I'm deliberately waiting until I get where I'm going (CL) before I pull out the scissors (I really think my ragged ends have acted like a buffer).

Not sure when I'll straighten again but I'll measure in Dec, if not before.

If your ends are not split you could probably wait. I just keep mine moistured and sealed and let them be. I did snip an extremely long strand or two through out my head. It was weird lately I noticed some major streamers that made it just down right silly braiding and twisting. :spinning:

Some time those will SSK up on me because they are alone hanging below the rest of the braids/twists. Can't have that :nono:

yamilee21

Vintagecoilylocks, I was wondering what had happened to our old classic thread; no one was posting anymore.

I lost so much hair due to shedding between post-partum hair loss, serious illness and major stress; I went from a ponytail circumference of 5 inches to about 3 inches! In addition, my hair line receded way back. I've been able to get some of my edges back with the help of castor oil, but they have a long way to go. Because of the thinness and the bald spots, the longest tailbone+ hairs were looking extra-super-straggly. It didn't show much since I usually have my hair up, but it was starting to annoy even me, so I chopped off a bunch about a month ago. Much of the "old" hair is just about at waist now, but there is a lot of "new" hair that is only 2-5 inches long as well. With the summer heat and going to the beach, I am back to frequent co-washing and wet-bunning, which hopefully will help.

My hair grows so slowly; I actually thought I had reached terminal around tailbone, so I am not sure I will ever reach classic, even less so for 2013. My 4 year old daughter is well on her way though; she's only about 2 inches from classic on her longest layers. Her hair likes to shrink back up to her shoulders though, :lol:.

constance

constance. I was thinking of you when I started this. I was thinking the same that it was a resonable time to make it. Besides this website needed a new Classic thread to get going. I don't use heat so my length checks will have to be either stretching or in a braid. I know there are many ladies out there already at or close to but like to lurk only. So we will consider them stealth company support.:grin:

You hair looks amazing in your avatar. At average rate of growth you have a good chance of being there in 12 mos.

I have not decided whether to maintain at Classic and wait for the layers yet. When get there I will decide. Right know just fine tuning the ole regimineto so when I get there it ill be just as easy to handle as when it was shorter.

Vintagecoilylocks, thank you! My growth rate is a modest .25-.33 a month though I've been getting .40 the last few months. Not sure why but I'm not complaining. I'm hoping it'll stay this way otherwise CL will be sometime in 2014. :rolleyes:

I'm avoiding heat, too. I've blown dry 3x this year-twice on cool and once on warm AND I straightened with a curling iron 2 times so that's it for me.

I'm also pondering whether I should maintain at CL until everything is even or just trim and keep growing. Humm....

constance

Vintagecoilylocks, I was wondering what had happened to our old classic thread; no one was posting anymore.

I lost so much hair due to shedding between post-partum hair loss, serious illness and major stress; I went from a ponytail circumference of 5 inches to about 3 inches! In addition, my hair line receded way back. I've been able to get some of my edges back with the help of castor oil, but they have a long way to go. Because of the thinness and the bald spots, the longest tailbone+ hairs were looking extra-super-straggly. It didn't show much since I usually have my hair up, but it was starting to annoy even me, so I chopped off a bunch about a month ago. Much of the "old" hair is just about at waist now, but there is a lot of "new" hair that is only 2-5 inches long as well. With the summer heat and going to the beach, I am back to frequent co-washing and wet-bunning, which hopefully will help.

My hair grows so slowly; I actually thought I had reached terminal around tailbone, so I am not sure I will ever reach classic, even less so for 2013. My 4 year old daughter is well on her way though; she's only about 2 inches from classic on her longest layers. Her hair likes to shrink back up to her shoulders though, :lol:.

yamilee21, I go back and forth about trimming those super long "outliers," too. They bother me to no end when I straighten (they look flat out gross), but my hair is curly and up most of the time. Sigh, I may follow your lead and clip.

Congrats on the new growth and I bet your daughter's hair is gorgeous!

Vintagecoilylocks

I believe the other thread expired. So I just thought I start a new one that was a goal of Classic.

When I returned to this board last year I was where you were. Thin from a five year shed and stopped with a few hairs just at BCL(top of my tailbone). Since I always wear my hair up I decided that cutting it would just mean more work not more of what I wanted which was longer thicker hair. I thought my reclamation journey would only be saving what I had and possibly some new growth for thickness. I was at first in denial when my daughter reported my hair looked longer. I was so sure it was terminal. I was focused on saving and regrowth. Over at LHC people have reported stopped growth during shedding and thenafter 2, 3, 4, years they started gaining length again. One person was after 5 and another after 7 years of thinking they were terminal. I had given up on Classic but now my longest layer is 1/2 inch to 1 inch away and all the other layers are still moving. I am also dealing with new growth ranging from 7 to 1 inch. I have demarcation lines of thickness spaced 6 to 8 inches. I say yeah because that means thickness is coming. So just keep up with your routine and let it grow. I started a modified tightly curly method in Jan and in March tried her full process. The only thing I don't do is the brush. I still finger detangle and I don't wear my hair loose. Recently though I had to increase wash days to every four days and a moisture treatment in between. So yesterday I did a supper protein and moisture treatment and It is very nice today. I really felt better when I was on a thread at LHC for woman who went through some awlful sheds and to see the recovery results were inspiring. I am so surprised as to how much better my hair is just in one year. So sign up to the length challenge closet to your length for a goal and let the thickness come in time. You were almost Classic before. I will be rooting for you.:yep:

Last edited:

constance

A few ladies have sent me emails asking how long it took for my hair to reach the length it is in my avatar (partial hl). 3.5 yrs. Yes, an eternity. :) Hopefully others will have better luck, but this is how my retention improved:

Yr #1: (retained) 1.5 inches
Yr #2: 4 inches
Yr #3: 3 inches (hair grew slower this yr but I retained every mm)
Yr #4: at least 2 inches so far

Last edited:

brg240

I'm game! Classic length for me is 3" under tbl for me.

I should end this year with full hip provided no set backs(maybe longer depends how much i have to trim) and i might cut to midway between hip and wl in dec. Which means i should (provided my hair works with me) reach tbl by jul and classic by the end of 2013

Vintagecoilylocks

I'm game! Classic length for me is 3" under tbl for me.

I should end this year with full hip provided no set backs(maybe longer depends how much i have to trim) and i might cut to midway between hip and wl in dec. Which means i should (provided my hair works with me) reach tbl by jul and classic by the end of 2013

Sounds like a good plan. Lovely to have your company.

Vintagecoilylocks

My change to washing more frequently has really helped in this hot weather. I was worried this summer would cause some problems. I see I need to stay dillegent because the longer the hair the needs change. Meanwhile I have even more new growth that as virgin hair has different needs. Very challenging. My shedding is so low I can't believe it but loveing it. This frequent washing willl help me clear out some excess conditioners. :spinning: I decided to use twists though to speed up the whole process. My hair drys faster in twists also. Still using about 9 twists then I bun them.

Dee Raven

I'm in too. I won't be checking until the end of the year, just because that is way longer than I ever thought I wanted. But now that I'm trying to do the curly thing, I actually need my hair to grow out so that my wash and go will be below my shoulders. My hair is sooooo coily. I'm hip length now, TBL is 2 - 3 inches below that and classic is maybe 7 - 8 inches from TBL. I'll have to measure to be sure. But it should happen if all I'm doing is trimming for the next year and a half.

Vintagecoilylocks

I'm in too. I won't be checking until the end of the year, just because that is way longer than I ever thought I wanted. But now that I'm trying to do the curly thing, I actually need my hair to grow out so that my wash and go will be below my shoulders. My hair is sooooo coily. I'm hip length now, TBL is 2 - 3 inches below that and classic is maybe 7 - 8 inches from TBL. I'll have to measure to be sure. But it should happen if all I'm doing is trimming for the next year and a half.

Welcome on the journey. The more the better. I was conditioning washing before but when I really did these curly method completely it has made it so that the longer will not be so difficult to care for. Yes it should happen, I just need to be patient. :yep:

Seamonster

So excited to have a Classic length thread. :lick: I love all you long haired girls! Subbed of course.

Just putting in my annual request, pictures of even your everyday hairstyles, braid/twist thickness, shrinkage, etc is much appreciated. Thanks in advance for staying active after you have most certainly mastered the hair journey. We short haired ladies appreciate the information. Back to lurking.

wavezncurlz

LHCF addict
I have to agree on the fact that I believe my under layer is similar to yours. Let me tell you some history. That under layer of mine use to always be broke off and shorter. Even after my hair journey started and I had achieved length with the other parts of my hair. I thought because it was softer it was ok and just did not grow. Always tangled though. Just last year I started treating it different then my 4ais 3' s and it is now the longest. I started making sure it got protein and started using conditioner as a leave in before my oils. Straight oils just gunked it up and it clumped and tangleged. Jan this year I went full TC/CG and it has really improved. I can say that I don't even consider tangles as an issue any more. Idk what your regimine is but you can beat the tangles. Tangles mean the hair is not in the condition it should be. And yes my hair is very fine. Its also very thin now after my shed but my normal head was still thin to med at best.

You need to reevaluate your products and method. It can be done.

Thanks Vintagecoilylocks
I have upped my protein and I'm using much more conditioner as a leave-in. It is definitely helping. Also, I have been making sure I stretch my hair each night in braids or twists and that seems to help with the tangles.

Do you color your hair? I find that when I've colored to get rid of gray I have terrible tangles. Now I'm just dealing with the gray and my hair is so much softer and healthier.

constance

Just putting in my annual request, pictures of even your everyday hairstyles, braid/twist thickness, shrinkage, etc is much appreciated.

I wear buns most of the time. I only use this one when I'm in the process of dcing and then grow too tired to rinse. I pull back, twist, and let hair air dry under tightly tied scarf. I go on about my business and rinse a few dys later. I try not to let this happen more than 1x every 4-6 wks.

(pic some of my hair is grey-the conditioner dries clear)