Co Washing advice needed please

Bublin

Now that i'm 1 year post I would like to start co-washing. I only tried it a couple of times 6 months ago but felt there was build up on my hair.

My hair is in real need of moisture and moisturiers are not doing what is promised on the bottle or the jar. My hair is coated instead of moisturised.

Right now i know i have ALOT of product build up but moisture/sls free shampoo's are not getting my scalp clean (i have that white build up going on) and clarifying poo's are drying on my hair as i still have to shampoo like 3 times to get my scalp clear. I only apply the poo to my scalp. I use ORS Creamy Aloe poo.

Is it adviced that i just clarify anyway as a starting point and then continue with co-washes or should i just go ahead and start co-washing and hopefully solve the moisture issue first?

Oh, i last clarified 1 week ago but my scalp is itching like crazy and yes the white stuff is there even though i don't put oil on my scalp.

Sorry for the long post.

I struggled like you for a long time...how to get my scalp clean without stripping my hair. I started doing DCs with steam and my hair and scalp are very happy. I used to wet a turbie twist and use that under a heating cap. I now have a hair steamer and that works even better.

Cowashing is only going to cause more buildup if you don't start with a clean scalp. Have you tried ACV rinses? My hair absolutely cannot STAND shampoo....I mean, it tangles almost at the sight of it....but last night I did an ACV rinse and let that sit on my hair for a few minutes, then rinsed with cold water. My hair was squeaky clean and ready for conditioner.

What are you planning on cowashing with?

I cowash daily and love it, but I understand what you mean about build up. I used to cowash with Aussie Moist and I would shampoo with a sulfate shampoo once every 3 weeks or so, to ensure that I didn't have any build up. Now I don't use any products with silicone's unless I'm straightening, so I don't have a build up issue, and only have to use drying shampoo's once or twice a year.

I cosign with the ACV rinse. It will cleanse your hair and scalp.

Now, a good way to prevent build up when cowashing is to add a little baking soda or salt to your conditioner.

To avoid buildup I'd nix all products that had cones and try to keep your products as simple and minimalistic as possible. I'm biased b/c it took several years to realize that my hair just doesn't like cones. If I were you, I'd start fresh w/ a good clarifying poo, and minimize your products, then start cowashing from there w/ a poo every so often.

Here is my bit of advice for drying. Three things that I would reccomended

1. yes clarify - one time then I would do a major moisture DC, co wshing can casue bluid up over time so you don't want to start with build up

2. a really good moisture DC I have my favs if you are looking for something

3. Porositiy - esp for your relaxed hair, you have t ocontroll the porosity and pH to maintain your moisture. The easy way, go spend 2 dollar on Roux porosity controll. Or you could dilut some AVC in water. But this could be a reason your hair feels dry. I know that if my porosity is off my hair (mostly the relaxed ends feel stiff.

Hope this helps. Buns

I'd echo clarifying. As for a sulfate free clarifying shampoo try giovanni 50/50 many curly girls use it. Afterwards try a good dc like aohsr but don't put it near your scalp when I had white build up it partly came from dc's being too close. Then next time try some diluted giovanni tea tree condish or nourish spa for your co washes. I think those may have more of a cleansing effect than VO5 or suave. Also remember not everyone can cowash it's just not for everybody. Also if you don't already have the curly girl book it may help. One of her clarifying recipes is to use brown sugar and conditioner to exfoliate your scalp without stripping. If all else fails put some dead sea salt in a good clarifying shampoo. I get the white build up on my scalp even with a water filter if I co wash so I just don't do it but I fake the cowash by cowashing or dc-ing before I shampoo or putting the cowash on my hair after I put the shampoo on my scalp. Although it seems it wouldn't work it does by adding some good moisture. As for your scalp itch after you cowash try a mixture of 2 oz jojoba oil to 1 oz lavender oil. It will give a nice tingle and keep itches at bay. I got that from najahface's mixed up book. hth

Cowashing is only going to cause more buildup if you don't start with a clean scalp. Have you tried ACV rinses? My hair absolutely cannot STAND shampoo....I mean, it tangles almost at the sight of it....but last night I did an ACV rinse and let that sit on my hair for a few minutes, then rinsed with cold water. My hair was squeaky clean and ready for conditioner.

What are you planning on cowashing with?

Thanks.

So i can literally do an ACV rinse and omit shampoo altogether. I will give this a try.

I have some VO5 at the ready.

Here is my bit of advice for drying. Three things that I would reccomended

1. yes clarify - one time then I would do a major moisture DC, co wshing can casue bluid up over time so you don't want to start with build up

2. a really good moisture DC I have my favs if you are looking for something

3. Porositiy - esp for your relaxed hair, you have t ocontroll the porosity and pH to maintain your moisture. The easy way, go spend 2 dollar on Roux porosity controll. Or you could dilut some AVC in water. But this could be a reason your hair feels dry. I know that if my porosity is off my hair (mostly the relaxed ends feel stiff.

Hope this helps. Buns

Thank you. DC's i have are Silk Elements, Le Klair (pink), Skala Aloe Vera mask, Silicon Mix and Motions CPR.
I have Roux Conditioner but i'm not sure when to use it and it seems so watery.

If you want - you have add a table spoon of honey (it s humectant) to your conditioner when you DC. This can help your hair hold on to more moisture. I add oil (coconut or camellia or both) to my Dc and honey. Also aloe vera can be good but you don' thave to go overboard.

I use the Roux PC after everything, I follow the instructions, pour over my head let it sit for about 2 minutes and rinse.

I'd echo clarifying. As for a sulfate free clarifying shampoo try giovanni 50/50 many curly girls use it. Afterwards try a good dc like aohsr but don't put it near your scalp when I had white build up it partly came from dc's being too close. Then next time try some diluted giovanni tea tree condish or nourish spa for your co washes. I think those may have more of a cleansing effect than VO5 or suave. Also remember not everyone can cowash it's just not for everybody. Also if you don't already have the curly girl book it may help. One of her clarifying recipes is to use brown sugar and conditioner to exfoliate your scalp without stripping. If all else fails put some dead sea salt in a good clarifying shampoo. I get the white build up on my scalp even with a water filter if I co wash so I just don't do it but I fake the cowash by cowashing or dc-ing before I shampoo or putting the cowash on my hair after I put the shampoo on my scalp. Although it seems it wouldn't work it does by adding some good moisture. As for your scalp itch after you cowash try a mixture of 2 oz jojoba oil to 1 oz lavender oil. It will give a nice tingle and keep itches at bay. I got that from najahface's mixed up book. hth

I will try some of these products and suggestions. I think a cleansing condish would suit me better. :yep:

Also along with Wheatgerm Oil i have been adding Silk Amino Powder to my DC's. Is this contributing to dryness?

I will def add honey.

get an empty bottle and fill it 2/3 with your fave moisturizing cond and then fill 1/3 with castile soap. shake it up real good and woolah! clean with out stripping! i learned this on bhm

get an empty bottle and fill it 2/3 with your fave moisturizing cond and then fill 1/3 with castile soap. shake it up real good and woolah! clean with out stripping! i learned this on bhm

OK......i have Castile Soap but shame on me......whenever i have used it i've not diluted it. I just want to get my scalp clean and can you believe i still have to wash twice.

As another poster suggested i need to stop putting the DC on my scalp but it seems almost impossible to avoid. I slap that stuff on thick in sections. Maybe i'm over-applying.

Really so grateful for all the input.

I use baking soda to clarify, and you may try roux porosity control right afterwards...this is simple and VERY effective, you will be able to retain moisture again...it may be your water too so try this!

I took alot of the advice here and put it into practice.

This is what i did.

I did a hot oil treatment with Hot Six Oil on dry hair and sat under the hood dryer. For the first time my tangles had melted away and my Ouidad comb glided through.

Then put into 4 sections, rinsed and then did an ACV rinse. It did a good job of clearing away build up but there was still residue on my scalp so i used Tigi Bed Head, SLS free poo for curly hair. I gave my scalp a good scrub and my scalp was clear.

I then applied Aphogee 2 Min, rinsed and applied my DC (Silk Elements with Castor Oil added) I forgot to add honey. Sat under hood dryer for 30 mins.

Rinsed and then applied Roux PC, rinsed and put my leave-in products in.

Blowdryed on cool/medium heat.

Moisturised with a Mizani Butter Rich Moisturising cream and sealed with coconut Oil, also put the oil on my scalp.

My scalp feels very clean, my hair feels clean and moisturised without that coated/build up feeling.

The whole process took me 3 and a half hours (doing hair in sections just takes so long). Phew.

I am very grateful for the advice and it was the kick up the bum i needed to get my moisture under control.

You are getting a lot of different advice. I'd suggest trying one thing at a time and see what works.

My piece of advice is to try Kimmaytube's wash method. I've noticed a positive difference in the managability of my hair since doing it.

You can use this regimen with some of the products mentioned above...I think you may be pleased with the results.

Here is the link to the video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1FQ79FD2VY&playnext=1&videos=1zhgR34o0o4

Back