Co-workers concerned about my hair

dicapr

I went out with a co-worker yesterday to see a movie. My hair was looking :nono: because I had the day off and spent it in the pool. Even though I did a quick wash my hair was a very frizzy and need of a DC. I joked about it and she went on to tell me how she was my friend and gave me the WEN conditioner wash because the ladies were concerned about how badly my hair looked. I kept cool,, but explained to her that I was black, I had nappy hair, sometimes it is dry due to hard water problems, but it is what it is. The thing is, very few of the women at work have decent looking hair. Most of the white women have dry, over dyed, heat fried hair and the black women at the job could use a LHCF complementary card. My hair might be frizzy and they may not appreciate the puff or box braids on my natural hair, but I have some of the longest, healthiest hair on the job. I have not worn it pressed and down at work since my transition, so they thing my shrinkage is my length. Even my sister told be the other week that box braids without extentions looked to childish. At first I was mad, but then I thought about the irony. Their hair looks just as bad to me as mine does to them, so I guess it is o.k.

leeshbeesh

I like your take on things! It seems people are so quick to want to bit someone's head off or label them a hater. 9 times out of 10 they are just highly ignorant...and just dont understand :ohwell:

Ganjababy

I am having a similiar problem. I cut my shoulder length relaxed hair recently and everyone at work seems to think something is wrong with my hair because I dont relax anymore. I am 4a/b and they seem to think it is unnatural to go without a relaxer (both black and white) or extensions. I am loving my natural hair. It is the healthiest it has been since I was a child. People keep asking me when I am going to sort out my hair (especially black people). The white people keep asking in a quizzical tone what have I done to my hair.......I tell them I am embracing my frizziness

MirrorDoll

dicapr and evsbaby... you two are better than me because I definitely would have caught an attitude with someone.

Some women at work would comment about my nappy hair. I literally told them that they're just jealous *****es. :lol:

I'm sorry, but if my hair was fried or weaved up, that would be "normal", but my natural hair is somehow wrong? My hair is healthier and longer (at 6 inches! :whyme:) than both of theirs.

P.S. I didn't cause a problem at work. I'm very friendly most of the time. However, I did get my point across.

chickory_bee

People ask me at work what I'm going to do about my "nappy" hair...I am going to start asking "What are you going to do about your FACE?":grin:

eshille

People ask me at work what I'm going to do about my "nappy" hair...I am going to start asking "What are you going to do about your FACE?":grin:

I think I'll have a bumper sticker printed....

Nappy Hair is Happy Hair...'Free The Fro'

That outta cause a stir....:lachen:

*Soliel185...thx for your 'Fro' contribution....:grin:

mrsjohnson75

I went out with a co-worker yesterday to see a movie. My hair was looking :nono: because I had the day off and spent it in the pool. Even though I did a quick wash my hair was a very frizzy and need of a DC. I joked about it and she went on to tell me how she was my friend and gave me the WEN conditioner wash because the ladies were concerned about how badly my hair looked. I kept cool,, but explained to her that I was black, I had nappy hair, sometimes it is dry due to hard water problems, but it is what it is. The thing is, very few of the women at work have decent looking hair. Most of the white women have dry, over dyed, heat fried hair and the black women at the job could use a LHCF complementary card. My hair might be frizzy and they may not appreciate the puff or box braids on my natural hair, but I have some of the longest, healthiest hair on the job. I have not worn it pressed and down at work since my transition, so they thing my shrinkage is my length. Even my sister told be the other week that box braids without extentions looked to childish. At first I was mad, but then I thought about the irony. Their hair looks just as bad to me as mine does to them, so I guess it is o.k.

:ohwell:.

Next time tell her that you are black and your hair might be frizzy but you have some of the longest and healthiest hair on the job.....basically exactly what you just said on here :)

Menina Preta

LOL, I love it! I hate it when people make negative comments on someone else's hair. It's rude. If I don't like someone's hair style or frizz factor I don't say anything, b/c it's definitely not my place. Now if they ask me, then I'll give my opinion.

plastic

some people just dont understand your personal hair journey ... and are just looking out for you ...
some people just need to shut up plain and simple ... when i come across people whose hair looks like eck ... i dont tell them anything unless they ask me something
imo .. but they have a point about the box braids

Soliel185

I think I'll have a bumper sticker printed....

Nappy Hair is Happy Hair...'Free The Fro'

That outta cause a stir....:lachen:

*Soliel185...thx for your 'Fro' contribution....:grin:

:lachen::lachen: No Problem. I like to use my fro for good, not evil. She needs to go to work with a big picked out FRO! People will be to in awe to say ish then!

dicapr

I'm not too worried about my coworkers. One black girls hair is so damaged I am afraid for her, one has obvious weave ane relaxes her edges every 3 weeks, and the other has weave passing it off as her own. I feel more attactive than I have in a long time with my natural hair. With my relaxed hair I often felt cute, but with my big puffs, twists, and braids I finially feel sexy! I'm not giving that up because some co-workers don't understand the nature of natural hair. I mean, even relaxed your hair can act the fool in high humidity!

Barbara

Princess
LOL, I love it! I hate it when people make negative comments on someone else's hair. It's rude. If I don't like someone's hair style or frizz factor I don't say anything, b/c it's definitely not my place. Now if they ask me, then I'll give my opinion.[/quote]

I'm the same way.

QueenT

The last thing you should do is make changes based on their comments. If you do, as long as you work there people will think you value their opinion more than your own happiness! Make the changes that you want to make if and when you desire.

Neith

Well... to give them the benefit of the doubt, you did say your hair was looking bad. They may be genuinely concerned.

I would have to point out their overprocessed, bleached out, fried, weaved out hair though. Seems like they don't have the right to talk about anyone else and imo they need to know that :)

mj11051

Again this why I always carry a sock full of quarters with me. For the nay sayer and advice givers whose hair looks like crap:wallbash:

Cassandra1975

Again this why I always carry a sock full of quarters with me. For the nay sayer and advice givers whose hair looks like crap:wallbash:
:lachen::lachen::lachen:
Girl, don't hurt 'em!

I've got my scarf on as I type this...it was rainy/cold and I didn't want to take my hair out before I left the house. I may take these twists down in a bit, or I will go home at lunch and get a head wrap. But I really and truly DARE any one of these people up in here to say anything to me about anything, when they come up in here looking like Farmer Brown on a DAILY basis.

But, maybe that's just me. I've already given the side eye to enough folks around here, that they don't mess with me anyway. :grin:

Essensual

People ask me at work what I'm going to do about my "nappy" hair...

I recall when I first went natural approx 5-6 yrs ago, my family asked me this exact question....my answer: WEAR IT.

...within in the next year or so, most of the women in my family of all ages were also going natural and many of the women in my local church after they saw how HEALTHY my hair was.

Selah.