COARSE hair support thread

My coarse hair laughs at most things also and i've had a hard time in the salons as well:ohwell:

Things that have really really worked for me are

*John Frieda clear glaze: It adds shine which alot of us need, and it REALLY softens the hair and keeps it detangled during the washing process

*Cream of nature shampoo: Really detangles and moisturizes

*Silicon Mix: One of the only conditoners that ever left my hair soft

ORS Pak: One of the only conditoenrs that ever gives my hair slip, i dont use it anymore though because it doesnt really moisturize and the john frieda glaze is working so good

Carefree: ONLY moisturizer that ever made my hair not coarse and actually silky and shiny

Pressing oil: Also the only thing that makes my hair feel smooth and silky when im wearing my hair straight....otherwise my hair would be rough and dull

Hot oil treatments with Conditoner: At first i thought my hair didnt need or like oil, but oil is one of the biggest thing coarse hair lacks....it will really make it feel much smoother and shine better and not look so dull or be tangly if you find the right way to do it......sealing with oil doesnt really do anything for me....sometimes with some oils my hair actually feels drier, but deepconditoning with oil is really good for me, or rinsing oil through my hair before conditoning.

Things that have been REALLY horrible for my coarse hair were
----
* Non-combing
*Cheap conditoners

Those make things so much more....I know there are some more things that are really bad for me but i cant think of them

Whats worked for some of you?

Oh my GOODNESS!!!! You have described my hair to the "T"!!!! Even right down to what my hair likes and doesn't like. I really noticed how course my hair is when I started transitioning. It seems like my hair hates oil by itself, but in DC's it loves it.

I really started noticing it when I would braid other ladies' hair and for some reason EVERYBODY'S hair felt softer than mine. I was starting to think it was a conspiracy.:rolleyes:

I know everyone loves the Suave Tropical Coconut, but my hair is like ":nono: Sorry sista, try again..."

I am so glad you started this thread. I was beginning to feel alone too.:sad:

Wow this is my hair to a T! And my hair looked like yours when compared to the pen! That is why I couldn't take the natural hair anymore! My hair is a 4a (I think) people look at the the size of my curls and expect that it will be easy to get str8 and manage but surprisingly it isn't! And I guess it' because it is coarse. Of course I find this out AFTER I perm! My hairs are very thick individually and they are flat except for a few ~ (bends) and each individual hair is actually shiny. I can't pull off that wash and go thing or gel thing because my hair is sooo thick the curls are like held in a choke hold. When I first went natural (a year post BC) a friend of mind described my hair as a piece of felt or velvet because of how dense it was.

That is me all the way!!!! Once I realized that my natural hair had a pretty loose curl, I began to wonder why one earth is it so rough and difficult to manage?!?! I am glad that I am not alone in this!!!

I find that I can still get it straight when I flatiron though. That has been the only way that I can get my cuticles to lay flat and smooth unfortunately. The only problem is that I am transitioning. I need a better way!

I will say that pouring whole milk over my hair prior to washing will make it soft for about 2 weeks. Also, my hair loves Emergencee and the Cathy Howes conditioner (made my own with Mane and Tale + coconut oil and peppermint EO). So far so good. I am just concerned about what to do when I am fully natural. HELP!!!!!

SoSweet08

I will say that my hair is coarse when the ng starts coming in. My hairdresser used some italian product on my hair last week, I think it's alter ego but I'm not 100% sure. Anyways, for the first time my ng is much more managable and when she was parting it, it didn't hurt and it was just much easier.

I didn't get to use the dc but just from the poo,detangler, and con it really did make a difference on my hair. I think using this product is going to make my stretches easier for me.

Also Olive Oil replenishing pak gives me so much slip but I believe it has protein in it so I need use a moisture dc with it or after it I believe.

I need to find a moisturizer though. I tried s-curl and at one point I liked it but, it's not the same. And I'm not crazy about carefree either. NTM is good on my relax ends. I might have to go back to elasta qp mango butter for my ng.

Kimiche

I have coarse hair and it was a battle dealing with it as I was growing up. My hair does good with a relaxer, but it's when that new growth kicks in that I seem to have a problem. My hair has been breaking lately too :sad:. I am still on edge on what products to use, and I wish that I could just get samples for every product that I want to try, because it seems like I am becoming a PJ.

I find that my hair is in love with protein. It won't act right or even think about holding moisture without a protein treatment. I mean, it has gotten to the point that I have to do the "Emergencee" thing almost every week just to get it to act. It won't even think about being smooth without some HEAVY protein. I am also finding that the hair is loving Main and Tail conditioner. I still haven't figured it out.:ohwell:

magviv

I am so glad this thread was created! My hair used to be very thick but I'm just beginning to realize that it's been over processed for years. I think my hairdresser took one look at my coarse hair and started using a strong relaxer. It's gotten thinner over the last few years. I've been trying different oils and products with no positive results. My hair also never seems very shiny and even less so when I wash my hair at home. I'm definitely subscribing to this thread. Hopefully, I'll find the right combination.

locabouthair

I am so glad this thread was created! My hair used to be very thick but I'm just beginning to realize that it's been over processed for years. I think my hairdresser took one look at my coarse hair and started using a strong relaxer. It's gotten thinner over the last few years. I've been trying different oils and products with no positive results. My hair also never seems very shiny and even less so when I wash my hair at home. I'm definitely subscribing to this thread. Hopefully, I'll find the right combination.

Your described me here. But my hair is very underprocessed. I'm thinking about using a super relaxer and because I don't even look like I have a relaxer at all:nono:

Blaque*Angel

All i know is that my hair is stupidly coarse and a combination of very thick(middle and sides), medium (back) and a very small amount of fine hairs. My hair doesn't agree with co-washes or frequent washing. PERIOD. I am not running from water - its just that to much washing/ co-washingjust works against my hair. Therefore i only wash once a month (sometimes i mayleave it a little longer, sometimes i may leave it a little less). My hair doesn't like thick creams and whatnot. I only use 2 products in my hair. First i spray with African Royale hair doctors, and then this oil

Picture taken from: http://www.healthcheckpharmacy.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=562

It is a life saver! It detangles, softens and moisturizes. Even though i do not wash frequently at all...my hair is growing nicelyand retaining legnth.

In general my hair cannot be touched with anything but a wide tooth comb...Pressing was a task, my Grandma would say my hair islike telephone cords or barbed wire. BTW im not just trying to push this oil lol, its justthe bestthing i've found that works for my hair. I have tried nearly everything, nearly every band wagon, all the oils and mixing, the "best" shampoo's and conditioners and nothing else has worked!

i second sahara oils, especially the green one. i have thick corse hair too

cecilie

I have coarse hair .
I'm only 3 weeks post so I don't have to fight with NG YET ,but I plan to strech 4 months .
The best moisturiser for my ends is the baggy method , I use Nexxus humectress conditionner for deep co and for daily care NTM silk touch live in cream , motion leave in conditionner nourishing spray and sometimes ORS olive oil .
I add oils in my conditionner ( coconut , grape seed , castor , shea ..... it depends on my feeling ... I also seal with oils ...
The best way to maneage my hair after 10 weeks post is to put lot of spray I comb hair when wet ...if Idont I experiment lot of breakage and schedding .

Lady Esquire

Hey all! I am soooo glad I found this thread! :yep: I'm a bit late, but I'm gonna chime in anyway. I too am a coarse 4a/b with wiry, thick hair in most places, except nape and hairline, which are sparse and see-thru.
So far I have narrowed down most of my regimen, thru a ton of trial and error and set-backs. For the past several months, I have made some tweaks to my regimen that have helped tremendously. I no longer struggle with matting, knots, tangles, or dry hair.

However, I still need to tackle:
*dull hair (it is shiny for the first few days and reverts to the dullness)
* styling to get that "salon" sheen.
* laying down on my back lightly (after a few days, it raised against my neck).

Prepoo always, with just oil, but when ng is bushy, prepoo with condish, honey, EVOO/coconut oil, and coconut milk....under heat and recently steam treatments.

Shampoo, then DC...under heat. I concentrate on products that are moisture-based (KeraCare Humecto, Silicon Mix).

I only clarify when needed...and lately I keep a real close eye on this. It makes a real difference with how the cuticle lays and how my hair receives products. I always clarify week before a relaxer, so that the hair can "take" even better.

I only do protein treatments when needed, because I have learned that my hair does not need a lot of protein and breaks due to protein overload easily...so for me its moisture, moisture, moisture.

Usually rollerset, then do a silk wrap to straighten roots.

The 2 tweaks to my regimen that have allowed me to combat dryness.

1) Paying more attention to my porosity. I use Roux PC more often. I also use Dominican rinses. My fave is Sole & Cinnamon Rinse after almost every DC. My attention to porosity helps close the cuticles and lay flat. Also helps with tangles. I detangle w/rinse in my hair with shower comb, directly under shower head.

2) Purchased a quality flat-iron recently (MaxiGlide). I had some cheap inferior quality irons and my 4b coarse hair would laugh at them. I used my MaxiGlide flat-iron (in that siggy photo). My roots are the straightest I have been able to get on my own..but still has some kink to it.

Now I need to purchase the John Frieda glaze mentioned here...'cause my hair does not keep the shine after about the 4th day. And it no longer lays as flat around the same time.

ynggftd&mxd

I have coarse, thick hair.
I used Kenra MC for almost a year, but my hair never felt moisturized enough.
On a whim, I picked up Silk Elements Moisturizing Conditioner. I was skeptical, but I'd been eyeing that bottle for 3 months!! Surprisingly, my hair came out soft and moist!!
I airdryed (i just got a relaxer 2 weeks ago) and put it up in a bun (no leave in, just sealed with coconut oil so that i could see if this condish was worth it)
!!!!!! 5 days later and my hair is still moisturized and soft! No leave in, no moisturizer, no additional coconut oil! Just a scarf at night and drinking a lot of water.
Ladies, i've found a new staple condish!!!
:drunk: im never satisfied though, in ulta today i bought mizani's intense treatment . long live product junkie-ism!!!

kadej

I'm in the process of figuring out my hair, but I definitely believe I have some coarse strands. Thanks for sharing the great info ladies, subscribing...

Angelicus

I haven't had a relaxer in in three months because I am trying to find a professional that I can trust to do my hair. I have learned a lot about my hair in the past few months though. I just don't like that my hair grows "up" instead of down. I don't like my reddish hair color. It seems that my hair holds more moisture when it's straight.

I hate that I am wating so long to get this bird's nest relaxed. I'd really like to get braids again after I start working.

africa

Ok, I am loving this thread. My hair is definitely on the coarse side. My hair strands are thicker than most people's, regardless of race. I've always felt a little funny when I hear people say black hair is 'fine'...That definitely doesn't apply to all of us.

The only DCs that have kept my hair soft for days are AVEDA DR & Redken All Soft. As far as leave ins...the jury it still out. Oils don't work unless they are in my DC.

Kemi oil made my hair soft.

Lady Esquire

I am just glad you all have a thread. Things like this just continue to prove that one size doesn't fit all in hair care. I can't stand when people just expect for everything to work for everyone because hair is fundamentally different. Its like, all hair is made of bricks but the options in type of house is limitless. I have found info in many cosmetic chem books and cosmetology handbooks about the different types of hair and the accomdations you have to make. I am listening to you all to see if I can put 2 and 2 together with some info I know.

GymFreak, any thoughts yet?

AGirltoLove mentioned pouring whole milk...that sounds good, mmmm. Have you done this....elaborate, I am curious. Sounds like a lush spa treatment.

My regimen was going smoothly, until I switched to more manipulation: daily co-washes, which I had not done in 2 years. Way too much, so I am going back to some heavy moisture treatments, and scaling back to washing once or twice a week.

When I do steam towel treatments = BUTTER! Not every wash, 'cause hair will mush & snap. But every other wash or so, or alternating week = soft, lush hair.

Also I am on the hunt for some deep conditioners. After reading some SistaSlick articles, she recommended: Kenra MC, Elucence, CON Nourishing, Dove Intense Moisture, AtOne Bontanicals, Nexxus HydraSleek, and Infusium.

Also, I ran out out my beloved organic coconut oil, which was my sealant. Since then my hair has been misbehaving. :mad: Gotta restock.

And I need to revamp my daily moisturizer. Maybe I will pick up some activator: never tried Carefree or Smooth 'n Shine....

Also Sylver2 uses Rusk Sensories Smoother as a Leave-In...mmmmm

Some suggestions for those coarsies who are on the search for that perfect mix of prods....

Will return in a few with results. :peace:

Last edited:

Platinum

:bump:

What relaxers can you recommend for coarse hair that yields good results? I've been using no-lye for a while but I'm thinking that may be the reason why my hair looks dull.

alanaj

I have very coarse and thick hair. As a child I could snap a fine tooth comb by just looking at it. It would take about 4 combs and 3 brushes just to get my hair braided.
Thank god for LHCF because I decided that I wanted to go natural and the techniques I learned here helped a lot. Though it's very true that what lots of people rave about won't necessarily work for your hair. But at least all these ideas helped in getting me to a point where I think I can handle my own natural hair without help of chemicals.
Castor oil is my lover.

locabouthair

:bump:

What relaxers can you recommend for coarse hair that yields good results? I've been using no-lye for a while but I'm thinking that may be the reason why my hair looks dull.

I've been using no lye too and even though I chelate my hair is still dull and dry but thta may be due to other factors so I dont know.

I use ORS NO lye in Super. It still doesnt get my hair 100% straight. I didnt want to use super but normal wasn't doing much for me.

RedVelvet310

I have very coarse and thick hair. As a child I could snap a fine tooth comb by just looking at it. It would take about 4 combs and 3 brushes just to get my hair braided.
Thank god for LHCF because I decided that I wanted to go natural and the techniques I learned here helped a lot. Though it's very true that what lots of people rave about won't necessarily work for your hair. But at least all these ideas helped in getting me to a point where I think I can handle my own natural hair without help of chemicals.
Castor oil is my lover.

:yep: Co Signing the bolded... Castor Oil saved my life.. and so did shea butter (melted)

nitavcc

Castor oil is my lover.

alanaj.. I need some help! I am seriously thinking about transitioning, and i am 9 weeks post..Already my hair feels like brillo! ( my hair looks alot like your in the pic!) Do you have any success in softening your hair? What was your secret to make it to 8 months? ( I tried to transition before and permed at 4 months) what kind of styles do you wear?

I'm still on the fence with transitioning, but I DO like the thickness that only natural hair can give...

Any other natural 4as that have a brillo, wiry head... Please join in!:perplexed

locabouthair

Has anyone tried drinking more water or eating better? I know I cant change the diameter of my strands but it might help the hair to grow in softer.

sunbubbles

LIGHTBULB!!

I have a big mixture on my head. My back is teeny weeny fine and soft. But other parts of my head are thick stranded. Its so weird to be feelin around in my hair and think Its a piece of string or something, then yank it out!! OUCH!!! That wasn't string thats my HAIR!! LOL

I truly believe that this is one of the reasons that Perms just dont work for me! Because if you have all these different thickness of strands on your head, some are getting OVERprocessed and some UNDERprocessed. Resulting in hair that looks like it hasn't gotten a "good" perm. Or in my case, resulting in a puff of super thick, pretty much straight hair that broke off when I even THOUGHT about touching it! lol

Any thoughts on this ladies???

alanaj

nitavcc
I think what has got me this far is deep conditioning on the regular! I got so excited when I decided that I wanted to transition that I broke out of all the things I thought I had to do for relaxed hair and started focusing on growing the natural hair that I wanted.
Leaving some conditioner in the hair after washing helped a lot, I also shampoo/use SLS less. I DC twice a week when I can and I started trying to find products that really helped to soften my hair. So far that includes soft n pretty (the childs version), Jamaican Mango and Lime leave in is a life savor and castor oil as well!