Coconut Oil For Beautiful Hair!

Coffee

Hair oiling is a very big topic in the natural hair community. It’s also important for anyone with long hair or who is trying to grow their hair long. Applying oil to the hair is often done as a pre-cleansing treatment, after washing and styling hair as a sealant or in-between hair cleansings to seal and protect.
One of the big concerns with hair oiling is selecting the very best oils to use on the hair. The list of potential oils which can be used for oiling hair is very long ranging from sweet almond oil, coconut oil, mineral oil and sunflower oil, to name a few.
The key to finding a great hair oil is to find one which not only penetrates the hair shaft, but also assists in preventing protein loss of the treated hair.
Evaluating Three Of The Most Popular Hair Oils
Extensive studies utilizing a strict methodology evaluated and compared the properties of mineral, sunflower and coconut oil on hair. The ultimate goal of the experiments was to cover different oil treatments as well as the the effect of these treatments on various hair types.
After evaluating three of the most popular hair oils – sunflower, coconut and mineral – The National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine published a report which shows coconut oil to be superior for preventing damage to human hair of all types.
The oils were tested utilizing the Taguchi Design of Experimentation.
Sunflower oil (SFO) was tested because it is thought to make an excellent hair oil. It’s considered excellent because it’s the second most utilized base oil in the hair oil industry.
Sunflower oil is a popular hair oil base because it’s odorless at ambient temperatures and has non-freezing properties.
Mineral oil (MO) is also a popular hair oil formulation because it’s non-greasy and much cheaper than sunflower or related vegetable oils.
Coconut Oil Is Only Oil Found To Reduce Protein Loss
The findings clearly indicate the strong impact which coconut oil application has to hair, as compared to application of both sunflower and mineral oils.
Among the three tested oils, coconut oil was the only oil found to reduce the protein loss remarkably for both undamaged and damaged hair when used as a pre-wash and post-wash grooming product.
Both sunflower and mineral oils do not help at all in reducing the protein loss from hair. This difference in results could arise from the composition of each of these oils.
Ability For Oils To Properly Penetrate The Hair Shaft
Coconut oil is a triglyceride of lauric acid. It’s a principal fatty acid and has a high affinity for hair proteins. Because of its low molecular weight and straight linear chain, coconut oil is able to successfully penetrate inside the hair shaft.
Mineral oil, being a hydrocarbon, has no affinity for proteins and therefore is not able to penetrate the hair.
In the case of sunflower oil, although it is a triglyceride of linoleic acid, because of its bulky structure due to the presence of double bonds, it does not penetrate the hair fiber, consequently resulting in no favorable impact on protein loss.
Summary
When evaluating whether to use coconut, sunflower or mineral oil on your hair, keep in mind that coconut oil has been tested and compared to both sunflower and mineral oil.
In those tests, coconut oil was found to be the only oil which can successfully penetrate inside the hair shaft. Coconut oil also has a high affinity for hair proteins and will help in reduce protein loss from the hair.
When it comes times to reach for a product to oil your hair, reach for the coconut oil for its proven hair benefits.
Image courtesy HAAP Media

If you would like to learn about a particular health and wellness topic email AskKarenhairBoutique.com

Embyra

I will always use coconut oil i stopped using it for a few months end of last year and started again this jan and can already see the difference :yep:

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I'm really trying to use coconut oil more because of it's excellent benefits but I despise the smell of it in my hair. I'm surprised they didn't include evoo.

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Tiye

I'm really trying to use coconut oil more because of it's excellent benefits but I despise the smell of it in my hair. I'm surprised they didn't include evoo.

If you don't like the smell of coconut oil, why not try the deodorized kind?

I've tried dozens of oils over the years and coconut oil is definitely a favorite.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Tiye said:
If you don't like the smell of coconut oil, why not try the deodorized kind?

I've tried dozens of oils over the years and coconut oil is definitely a favorite.

I use extra virgin unrefined organic coconut oil to get the full benefits, they all smell like fresh coconuts in the jar but once in my hair it stinks after a few days. I'd rather not use deodorized because it's been refined, bleaced and doesn't have the same benefits as extra virgin so its pointless to use that to me.

Geminigirl

I love coconut oil. This summer this is all i used. after a wash and in between and my hair did a 360, it was shiny, manageable, and my ends were strong no breakage or splits.

ChasingBliss

I have been using it for years and will use it for years to come. Love my coconut oil....even if I just gloss it on for a bit of shine....it is always in my hair product drawer.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Embyra said:
Pokahontas and others who dont like the smell of coconut oil....(haters)...:look::lol:

I found this thread the ''conclusion'' was if you find fractionated coconut oil with the Triglycerides of the short and medium chain length fatty acids then it will work the same

links below
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=50568

http://www.gritman.com/fixed-oils/fractionated-coconut-oil.html

Wait, I love CO...I can't help that it turns to baby puke in my hair lol. Other than that it's my favorite oil. I've been racking my brain to find a way to use it w/o the smell cuz it's embarrassing to get comments on it.

Thanks for the links, I will check em out.

Dposh167

i swear. I stopped using coconut oil for a year, and my hair was just not acting right. Went back to it, and its like my hair is thanking me. Something about that coconut oil man

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
nisemac said:
is there an fragrant oil you can add to it?

I bought some to try. I was cautious about adding it because I was thinking that adding another oil would keep the co from penetrating my hair. It may have no affect on it but I'm no chemist so I'm not sure and I haven't been able to find the answer.

LaughingOctopus

I use the expeller pressed organic coconut oil on my hair and it's become a staple. The only thing i hate is the greasy sheets.:lol:

Curlykale

I love this oil. To me it is the closest thing to conditioner. Amazing by itself on damp hair as a deep treatment (1hour, plastic cap or heat cap, slather as much as you like and wash it out with any cheap conditioner).

Fractionated coconut oil is odorless and it keeps liquid, curious to try it.

Last edited:

SimJam

My hair doeasnt care for coconut oil but its the only tthing I use to cook with now and also mix it with my shea butter for my skin.

actually right now there is a scarcity of coconut oil in Jamaica, its not in the supermakets on in health food stores. I get mine from the market (well my mother gets it when she goes)

JudithO

Pokahontas I use it as a prepoo to get the full benefits. I slather it on as much as I can and leave for at least 1 hr (or overnight).. then I shampoo it out and condition as usual... that way I dont have to smell it...

JudithO

ladysaraii I use it as a prepoo. I find I dont need to DC after (except protein)... I cover my whole hair with a lot of EVCO, plastic cap and go to bed.... In the morning, shampoo and condition as usual. Keeps my hair soft, helps me with breakage and detangling.

faithVA

I have not found the love for coconut oil. Maybe I will try it again in the spring when I can wash more frequently. If I don't love it then I will mix it with my beloved sunflower. :yep:

Embyra

So for those who have gotten good results, how do you use it and how often?

Now im back on it everyday:look:

I always use it as prepoo JC from natural haven said it takes 8-10 hours to absorb so always leave it on overnight to get full benefits

Right after i have washed my hair i use some them then and during the week i scrunch some into my hair :lick:

Nonie

@Pokahontas, (sorry if this has been suggested but...) have you tried using essential oils? They wouldn't interfere with the absorption of coconut oil. In fact the oil would play the role of "carrier".

I use essential oils of rosemary and lavender in my ACV rinse--which is the last thing I use on my hair and even when I spritz my hair out of the blue with my ACV rinse, everyone says my hair smells fresh. So maybe they could work for you? It will depend on what smells entice you: ylang ylang, rose, patchouli, frankincense, lavender, sandalwood, jasmine... A few drops methinks would make a difference since they are potent. Maybe you could mix some and come up with a nice smell. Perhaps test them out with testers at the store and see which combo smells good. Heck, carry your own coconut soaked cards and add a drop of each oil and see what that combo is like.

Cherokee-n-Black

i liked it better on relaxed hair as a light sheen enhancer. On natural hair it doesnt' do much, and like Pokahontas, it also turns to baby puke within a few days. On top of this, it gives me zits--it is NOT noncomedogenic! The same aspects that allow it to penetrate hair allow it to penetrate pores--and clog them. Ick!

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Nonie said:
@Pokahontas, (sorry if this has been suggested but...) have you tried using essential oils? They wouldn't interfere with the absorption of coconut oil. In fact the oil would play the role of "carrier".

I use essential oils of rosemary and lavender in my ACV rinse--which is the last thing I use on my hair and even when I spritz my hair out of the blue with my ACV rinse, everyone says my hair smells fresh. So maybe they could work for you? It will depend on what smells entice you: ylang ylang, rose, patchouli, frankincense, lavender, sandalwood, jasmine... A few drops methinks would make a difference since they are potent. Maybe you could mix some and come up with a nice smell. Perhaps test them out with testers at the store and see which combo smells good. Heck, carry your own coconut soaked cards and add a drop of each oil and see what that combo is like.

Thanks Nonie. What is your opinion on fractionated coconut oil?

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
Cherokee-n-Black said:
i liked it better on relaxed hair as a light sheen enhancer. On natural hair it doesnt' do much, and like Pokahontas, it also turns to baby puke within a few days. On top of this, it gives me zits--it is NOT noncomedogenic! The same aspects that allow it to penetrate hair allow it to penetrate pores--and clog them. Ick!

Lol...I'm glad I'm not the only one to smell the pukey smell. And yes it does clog pores! I did a thread in the make-up forum about my horrible experience!

Nonie

Thanks @Nonie. What is your opinion on fractionated coconut oil?

@Pokahontas, all I know is that it is used as a carrier oil and works better than whole coconut for that purpose because it stays liquid--so it might be better for my suggestion of using essential oils. It also apparently doesn't get funky after a while like whole coconut oil might coz it doesn't oxidize. It still has caprylic acid in it which is anti-fungal so if someone was particularly using it for that purpose (a fungal rush or some dermatitis) it'd be as good as the whole virgin coconut oil. I don't know how it differs from whole virgin coconut oil as far as conditioning hair is concerned.

I just did a search for it and here's an article about it:

What is Fractionated Coconut Oil?

We get asked this question on almost a daily basis. Many people are familiar with whole coconut oil which is a solid a room temperature but do not have experience with Fractionated or Light Coconut oil. But if you haven't tried it you are missing out on a truly great product carrier (fixed) oil product.

"Fractionated coconut oil" is a fraction of the whole oil, in which most of the long-chain triglycerides are removed so that only saturated fats remain. It may also referred to as "caprylic/capric triglyceride" or medium-chain triglyceride (MCT) oil because mostly the medium-chain triglycerides caprylic and capric acid are left in the oil.

Because it is completely saturated, fractionated oil is even more heat stable than other forms of coconut oil and has a nearly indefinite shelf life.

All carrier oils consist of a class of molecules called fatty acid triglycerides which means they contain three, long-chain fatty ester groups. Most all plant derived carrier oils consist entirely of what are called "unsaturated" fatty acid triglycerides which means they have one or more carbon-carbon double bonds in their long fatty ester side chains which are typically 16 to 20+ carbon units long. The double bonds in these side chains are susceptible to oxidation over time and their reactions with oxygen are what produce the rancid odor that you may have noticed in your carrier oils when they get a few months old. Whole coconut oil also has some quite long unsaturated fatty acid triglycerides (which is why it is a solid at room temperature). But the coconut oil is special in that it has a relatively high percentage of shorter length (C8, C10 ), completely saturated (no double bonds) triglycerides. Theses smaller fatty acid triglycerides are separated from the whole coconut oil to give us what is known as "Fractionated Coconut Oil." The separation process is non-chemical and involves a simple physical separation process so there are no chemical residues to worry about.

There are many advantages to Fractionated Coconut Oil including the following:

1. Liquid down to very low temperatures.
2. Because its has no double bonds, there are no sites for oxidation and thus never goes rancid. The oil has essentially an infinite shelf life.
3. Because its consists completely of saturated fatty acid side chains its more like animal fat and absorbs more readily into the skin making it ideal for massage therapy.
4. Washes out of your massage table sheets very easily with no staining.
5. An ideal product for natural perfumers who don't want to use alcohol as a carrier. Because its the lightest of all the carrier oils, it will spray through a pump sprayer with ease. This is also makes it handy for massage therapists as they can spray on their massage blends with ease.
6. Leaves your skin feeling silky smooth without that greasy feeling.
7.. Completely soluble with all essential oils and compatible with soaps.
8. Great for use as a single carrier or in combination with other, more expensive carrier oils to get the cost down and to improve the shelf life of the final product.
9. Fractionated Coconut Oil is colorless, odorless and Kosher/Food Grade.
(Source)