**COIL JOURNEY** SUPPORT THREAD (Newbie Group Support Challenge 2010 Section A)

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
I'm still chillin in my twists. I wore them up today in a ponytail. I updated my fotki with a pic of the finished twists (me in the car). Everyone at work loves them, they can't believe I did them myself :). I hope everyone is having a great weekend.

TheCoilWhisperer

Hi ladies!

Here my check in and update

I got my full sew-in weave a week ago and washed today.

I deep con for about an hour w/ AO WC on dry hair first. Then poo'd w/ Scalp Ale and con and for about a one w/ min w/ AO WC. Lastly, using Joico leave-con. Washing alone took an HOUR!!! My Gosh! but my scalp feels good:yep:

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_4431.JPG
    IMG_4431.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_4467.jpg
    IMG_4467.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 13

TheCoilWhisperer

Just to add to what MummysGirl suggested about reducing the amount of blow drying and flat ironing. I flat ironed once every 2 weeks for about 4 months of my transition and looking back it probably wasn't the best thing to do for MY HAIR. I found that over time the heat and manipulation thinned my hair out. BUT everybody's hair is different. I just wanted to tell my story in hopes that it helps.

...... MummysGirl tried to tell me months back about the heat and I didn't listen.... :nono: and now I'm in an ultimate protective style in hopes of bouncing back. :look:

I havent thought about that but my hair is so thin it looks dirty and malnutritioned:nono: but that is something to consider. Thanks.

What is the tension method?

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
Hi ladies!

Here my check in and update

I got my full sew-in weave a week ago and washed today.

I deep con for about an hour w/ AO WC on dry hair first. Then poo'd w/ Scalp Ale and con and for about a one w/ min w/ AO WC. Lastly, using Joico leave-con. Washing alone took an HOUR!!! My Gosh! but my scalp feels good:yep:

Here are some pics:

That's a really nice install, it looks good on you :grin:.

MummysGirl

Hi Ladies!

How are you all doing?

BreakageInAtlanta - nice install :yep:

I'm 13 months post relaxer, yay! And almost 57 weeks post... My hair's been in pixie braids for 3 weeks now and I'm taking them out on Saturday...

To begin the process, I took out most of the front half and did a few cornrows. The back half will be replaced with chunkier braids (3 pixie braids to 1 braid) tonight so that it won't take too long to take it all out on Friday night... (pics attached)

I plan to have my hair out for at least one week... It'll most likely be 2 weeks. I'll make sure my hair is in cornrows, flat twists or french braids most days and I'll rock twist/braid outs a few times too. I will record a few youtube videos too :yep:

I update my blog regularly, so check it out when you have a minute :grin: http://myhairmyhealth.blogspot.com/

Thanks so much StephElise for mentioning me in your latest youtube video :hug2:

Attachments

• today2.jpg
    today2.jpg
    5.8 KB · Views: 15
  • today1.jpg
    today1.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 14

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
BreakageinAtlanta, really cute install.

My new install. I'll keep it for about 5 weeks.

TheCoilWhisperer

Thank you DSD!

Here's my check in....

I DC, washed and used leave-in's. I cut 30 mins off my wash time by skipping the last con step.

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
DSD that's really pretty! MG, congrats on making 13 months post!!!!!!

OK, so I cowashed my twists and three slipped out in the back :(. I got kind of curious and decided to snip the relaxed ends off that hair. All it did was confirm my belief that I need to transition for AT LEAST a year, LOL. Here's a pic of the area I cut, wet with giovanni direct leave in. Have a good week!

MummysGirl

Your hair's just TOO pretty :lick:

Shrinkage is one of the main reasons why I'm aiming for 2 years.

OK, so I cowashed my twists and three slipped out in the back :(. I got kind of curious and decided to snip the relaxed ends off that hair. All it did was confirm my belief that I need to transition for AT LEAST a year, LOL. Here's a pic of the area I cut, wet with giovanni direct leave in. Have a good week!

LoveCraze

Naturalista

Those curlies are too cute. Yeah, shrinkage is a booger. But I don't think I could go or even want to go as long as 2 yrs in transition. We'll see.

ChristmasCarol

Checking in. Cowashed 2x last week w/Redken Smooth Down and DC'd w/heat for 1 hour using ic Deep Penetrating Treatment. Not the greatest, but hey, I'm just glad it wasn't expensive. It can now retire to a far corner of the linen closet and I won't feel guilty at all.

MummysGirl

:hiya: everyone!

My hair's in 2 french braids right now and I have to take them down, DC my dry hair and put in 6 braids tonight to cowash tomorrow but I feel so lazy!!!

I know I will do it anyway :lol:

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
Checking in guys. Washed with Tresemme yesterday, conditioned with aussie moist and dc'd with palmer's coconut dc. I'm re-doing the front and very back of my twists today. I'm using Equal Marley braid this time. I have to say I'm getting less twists per pack, but it looks soooo much neater than the hair I used before. I'll have to look and see what hair I used last time. Have a great week!

BlaqBella

Checkin' in: I have sucessfully NOT used flat irons more than once in over a month.:bouncegre I have been mostly ponytail rollersetting with good/ok results (ex:eek:f the outcome in my siggy) soo hope all is well with all my CJ cousins. HHG.:grin:

ETA: This is my finger coils......(part of my hair that is already 100% natural)

Moni at Home 310.jpg

Last edited:

MummysGirl

:band2::band:

I am sooooo proud of you :yep:

KUTGW!
Checkin' in: I have sucessfully NOT used flat irons more than once in over a month.:bouncegre I have been mostly ponytail rollersetting with good/ok results (ex:eek:f the outcome in my siggy) soo hope all is well with all my CJ cousins. HHG.:grin:

Merk

Hey Ladies! Sorry I've been MIA...got a lot of life goin on at the moment. But that's another story for another time.:yawn:

Currently I'm wearing extension braids. I had them installed on Dec 31st and plan to keep them in until end of Feb/March. I use Giovanni Direct Leave In (thanks, MG!) mixed with water in a spray bottle for my daily moisturizing...usually spray at night and rub coconut oil over to seal. Wash weekly with diluted Hello Hydration shampoo, and I use a mix of shea butter, jojoba oil, and tea tree oil on my scalp as needed.

I haven't DCd at all. If anyone knows how to DC with braids, please let me know. Can you just dilute the DC and apply? I didn't think that would be effective, but let me know.

TheCoilWhisperer

Good for you!! Trust I know how HARD it can be.

ETA: This is my finger coils......(part of my hair that is already 100% natural)

View attachment 56658

TheCoilWhisperer

Hello Ladies!!!

I changed my name from BreakageInAtlanta to RoyalTee.... still lame maybe not as much LOL :lachen:

I'm so proud of myself. I've washed my hair at home since I've installed my weave which is now going on 4 weeks. This is a big deal for me because I'm a salon girl. :nono:

I love having a weave w/ a net bc I don't have to deal with my hair at all which allows it to grow in peace w/o me messing with it. But I HATE the hair I bought. I may have mentioned before I bought Remi Goddess Natural hair. It tangles right after I brush it and sheds like no bodies busy.

Oh well.... :ohwell:

BlaqBella

Good for you!! Trust I know how HARD it can be.

Well thank you RoyalT....man i think i know how drug addicts might feel.j/k.:grin:

ETA: I was just thinking about you..in the last 2 days. I like your name (i thought BIA was neat)..but i know it's about how it sounds to US personally. I was thinking of doin the same.

And your doin' good yourself. I sorry you got a bad batch of extensions..but on the brightside your NOT manipulating your hair evenso. Good talking to you after so long...

Last edited:

Taleah2009

Hey Ladies,

Just checking in. I am almost 13 months posts now.. whew.. the longest I ever been. I have had a perm since I was about 6. I decided put the flat iron down this weekend, I twisted my hair for a twist out. I twisted on Saturday and used mini rods for my ends. I still havent taken my twists out yet because I want to wait until later in the week so my twistout will still look nice on Friday (not that I have plans, but you never know right..haha:lachen::lachen:) I really didnt like my twists hanging straight down because my of my relaxed ends made them look thin at the bottom. So i twisted the twists into some kind of up do. This is my first time rocking a natural style of this sort. lol And I like it. I will admit, I am kind of nervous of how other people will view me (my sis said I look like i someone from the color purple:perplexed). but shoot, I'll take that. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to have Oprah's hair:drunk::spinning: But who cares. I have just been spraying my twists with keratin mist.

How are you guys doing??
Hope you guys are

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Hey ladies. Well I finished my hair! It took 2 days (with lots of breaks) but I'm finally finished and I'm happy with it. I'm gonna try and keep these in for 2 months and just replace single ones as they get messed up. I also included the naked pics of my new growth (I forgot to do one with it stretched, sorry).

Don't know how I missed this. Simply gorgeous!

Hi Ladies!

How are you all doing?

BreakageInAtlanta - nice install :yep:

I'm 13 months post relaxer, yay! And almost 57 weeks post... My hair's been in pixie braids for 3 weeks now and I'm taking them out on Saturday...

To begin the process, I took out most of the front half and did a few cornrows. The back half will be replaced with chunkier braids (3 pixie braids to 1 braid) tonight so that it won't take too long to take it all out on Friday night... (pics attached)

I plan to have my hair out for at least one week... It'll most likely be 2 weeks. I'll make sure my hair is in cornrows, flat twists or french braids most days and I'll rock twist/braid outs a few times too. I will record a few youtube videos too :yep:

I update my blog regularly, so check it out when you have a minute :grin: http://myhairmyhealth.blogspot.com/

Thanks so much StephElise for mentioning me in your latest youtube video :hug2:
MG. The video you did on your wash routine cut my detangling time down by 2/3. Hugs and kisses to you!!

Thanks. I love your twists!:grin:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I wasn't gonna say anything but I need a little encouragement. That's what we are here for, right? I want to cut or trim my hair so bad. It's got a strong V and I know that is because the ends are thin. To trim or not to trim? That is the question.

I promised myself that I wouldn't trim until it got a bit longer but what's the use of holding on to length for the sake of length. I could go back and forth and back and forth on this one. I need to weave it up again so I won't think about it!

Taleah2009

I wasn't gonna say anything but I need a little encouragement. That's what we are here for, right? I want to cut or trim my hair so bad. It's got a strong V and I know that is because the ends are thin. To trim or not to trim? That is the question.

I promised myself that I wouldn't trim until it got a bit longer but what's the use of holding on to length for the sake of length. I could go back and forth and back and forth on this one. I need to weave it up again so I won't think about it!

Great length! Hhhmm... if those pesky ends are really bothering you, give yourself a light trim