**COIL JOURNEY** SUPPORT THREAD (Newbie Group Support Challenge 2010 Section A)

MummysGirl

This thread is for the Transitioning Team (**Coil Journey**) for Newbie Group Support Challenge 2010 Section A.

This team is full :grin: (Please note that if, for any reason, a member drops out that'll create a space so PM me if you're interested)

CJ TEAM

Captain: MummysGirl (MG), Co-Captain: dontspeakdefeat (DSD)
BlaqBella
BreakageInAtlanta
DDTexlaxed
ladysaraii
Merk
sipp100
spain4risha
StephElise
Taleah2009
TyHill21

TEAM GOAL
As we learn more about our hair during this journey, we want this to be fun! We will aim to enjoy every single day of our transition to natural hair making sure we don't BC out of frustration but because we are ready to :yep:

STARTING PICTURE
The official start date is 1/1/10 BUT before the end of 2009 (31st December), we ALL should post official starting pictures.

Your starting picture could be:
1. Showing the length of a section of your hair that’s all natural (StephElise has cut off the relaxed ends in a small section so she’s able to monitor her growth… I think I’ll do this too)
2. Showing the length of a section of your hair by stretching it out (new growth section or the whole length)
3. Showing the length of your hair as a whole (straightened or not)

*Also list your products and your plans for your hair for the next 3 months. (Jan-Mar 2010) and how long you want to transition for.

TEAM GUIDELINES
- Deep Condition: 1-2ce a week
- Moisturise & Seal: 1-2ce a day
- Styling: Protective style if that's what works for you. I'd advise not manipulating your hair too often.
E.g. I cowash my hair 3 times a week so I detangle 3 times a week (when I wear my hair loose but when it's in my middle siggy style, there's zero manipulation)… Also, I don't blowdry and flat iron, or rollerset, etc 3 times a week. Low manipulation is really helpful as a transitioner, it also reduces the chances of you getting frustrated dealing with 2 textures of hair.

I'd advise not flat-ironing EVERY week! Minimise direct heat usage (I know I am on the other extreme :lachen: I blowdried for the 1st time in over 2 years a couple of weeks back - Lowest setting, using the tension method.). It's the festive period so I understand some of you ladies will want to style with heat for sleek results (try to do so AT MOST once this month. Remember to deep condition and also use a heat protectant). But come 2010, direct heat should be at a minimum!

- If you choose to wear extensions (braids, twists, cornrows, etc), make sure you moisturise daily and rinse/cowash at least 1ce a week. Make sure the edges aren't done too tight.. and please don't leave them in for too long!
- If you choose to wear weaves, DSD will be the best person in our team to share some tips with you :yep:
- Scalp massages at 1-2ce a week with any light oil of your choice*

A member of our team who is already very helpful (youtube channel, fotki and in threads) is StephElise! I love her hairstyles! I’ll add her youtube link at the end of my post.

* StephElise recommended including scalp massages to our regimen, I think this is a great idea. I’ve tried scalp massaging in the past but I was always forgetting :lachen: so I stopped trying. I work out 5 days a week and I think that’s a lot of stimulation to my scalp but I’d love to include scalp massaging.

CHECKING IN
We already have threads that we are subscribed to, and we have lives outside of LHCF, so I don’t expect anyone to check in everyday... You can post as often as you'd like :grin:

- At least once every 1-2 weeks :yep: : Just to let everyone know how you’re doing, if you’re having problems, etc. This is a support challenge so rant as much as you want here, someone else would most likely have been in your situation earlier in their transition or be going through the same thing as you are :yep: Also run in here when you have some good news too :grin: Please remember to share tips!

- Progress Pictures: Every 3 months – end of March, June, September and December. I’ll be very honest with you and say this – I don’t really check the length of my hair but for this challenge I will :grin:

USEFUL LINKS

Hairstyles for Transitioners
2010 Transitioners’ Support Thread
StephElise’s YouTube channel (LOVE IT!)
DSD’s YouTube channel
MummysGirl's YouTube Channel
Ediese’s Weave Thread
Braids 101

MummysGirl's Blog (still very very new so please bear with me)

This is going to be so much fun :yay:
We can ALL do it!!!! :strong::boxing:

Last edited:

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Oh I'm excited too!!:bouncy: This is going to be great!! Welcome team! Let's work together to make our transition smooth for 2010!! Love ya all!! And thanks again MummysGirl and Dontspeakdefeat! You all are awesome as well!

MummysGirl

Such perfect wording, I might have to borrow it to add to our team goal :lol:
Oh I'm excited too!!:bouncy: This is going to be great!! Welcome team! Let's work together to make our transition smooth for 2010!! Love ya all!! And thanks again MummysGirl and Dontspeakdefeat! You all are awesome as well!

MummysGirl

Starting length:

My hair on the right side grows much quicker than on the left side :spinning:

I'll be back to edit this post with my regimen, etc....

BlaqBella

HI! I plan to follow the team guidelines on everything and maybe straighten once a month

I plan to work on finding and narrowing down staples/products in the next three months.

Will be back soon to update..well asap...

My starting braidout pic..

Excuse the quality of pics and the bad seperating.. i was moistzing/rebraiding.

Moni at Home 277.jpg

Moni at Home 276.jpg

Moni at Home 274.jpg

Moni at Home 273.jpg

Moni at Home 275.jpg

Happy hair growing ladies!

Last edited:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
My starting pics:

Length shot:

Texture shot:

I'll be wearing weaves for the next 12 months only taking 2 week breaks in between. Pretty simple.

Last edited:

TheCoilWhisperer

Hi ladies! Sorry I'm late but I'm here now! :dance7:

My plan is to for at least 6 months and to follow the above rules when taking care of my hair underneath but to be clear.... here we go

Wash and deep cond once a week. Oil my scalp every other day and moisturize 2 a day.

I'll wash and deep con w/ Nu Expression Scalp Ale and AO White Camellia. For moisture I'll mix aloe vera juice w/ some type of cond maybe Trader Joe’s con or Jane Carter’s leave-in.

I'll come back w/ pics.

LoveCraze

Naturalista
Ok my starting pics finally.

Attachments

• New growth length check 12-2009 002.jpg
    New growth length check 12-2009 002.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 45
  • New growth length check 12-2009 003.jpg
    New growth length check 12-2009 003.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 44
  • New growth length check 12-2009 004.jpg
    New growth length check 12-2009 004.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 49
  • New growth length check 12-2009 005.jpg
    New growth length check 12-2009 005.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 38

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower
Happy New Year everyone!! I don't have my natural pics ready, but I have my length shot. I'll post my nekked shot when I wash.

So my regimen is pretty simple. I co-wash with HE HH 2-3x per week. I DC once a week with Palmers coconut oil deep conditioner mixed with cholesterol. I mostly wet bun, sometimes I do braid-outs or knot-outs. I use HH as a leave in mixed with virgin coconut oil then add my unrefined shea butter I think I may get some kinky twists soon since I've been getting the itch to BC lately.

Last edited:

MummysGirl

Happy New Year Ladies! :dance7:

I've been away for a few days, I'm glad some of you have posted starting pics and/or regimens.

:bump:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
I'm 2 months post relaxer. I'm basically going to roller set for 6 months and then use protective styles another 6 months. I wash my hair 2X a week and DC 1 X a week with Lustrasilk shea butter cholesterol. I use Silk Elements poo/conditioner until I can find something better.:rolleyes: I'll be practicing braids and cornrows. Right now, the only natural style I can do is flat twists.:yep: I have a lot to learn. I'll be updating my fotki this week end!

BlaqBella

Hi ladies! Ok so i think i've done it.. we'll see but i've found a good moisturizing method a time or two but didn't realize i should have been paying more attention to what i used.

This time i cw with dove i.m. cond. then detangled under water w/denman and made two ponytails after a cold water rinse.

I used aphogee l.i. in sections let sit a sec. and moisturized w/v05 m.m. cond.,sprayed a bit of cold distilled water and sealed w/ org. jojoba oil.

I ponytailed each section w/ sock ponies (from Dollar G. 30 for $1) and twisted to put
another sock pony at the end. I put ltr l.i. on edgeges and brushed back with boar brush.
Tied w/silk scarf and went to bed. Today my hair is VERY SOFT from root to tip.

I have been in the house for the most part just about a week or better now(off wk for holiday) so i've been experimenting w/cw and no heat styles the whole time. I figured a couple weeks back i better prepare as best i can for this challenge asap. (I'm a heat addict) But i digress...And i think i'm gonna love learning my natural hair w/o relying on heat!

I didn't forget PICS!(hope you can see but i really should have taken some of the dryness on the ends i tend to experience) Thanks ladies...LET"S GROW!!!

Moni at Home 281.jpg

Moni at Home 282.jpg

Moni at Home 283.jpg

Moni at Home 284.jpg

Last edited:

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
My pics are in fotki. I have my Instyler results in my avatar and my roller set pic in the signature pic. I am so excited to start this transition. Too bad my hair grows slower in the winter.:ohwell:

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
Ok girls.... don't be mad but.......I big chopped today. Something I said I would never ever ever do. 12 months post was as far as I could go. I still have 2-3 inches of straight hair in the front either relaxed or heat damaged I'm not sure. I'll post the before and after pics after I cowash tonight.

BlaqBella

Ok girls.... don't be mad but.......I big chopped today. Something I said I would never ever ever do. 12 months post was as far as I could go. I still have 2-3 inches of straight hair in the front either relaxed or heat damaged I'm not sure. I'll post the before and after pics after I cowash tonight.

:yep: Well Congrats!! I hope you enjoy it! I've been gettin' the itch too. But i THINK all i have left is heat trained straight hair at the ends 1-2 inches in certain areas. Well i really hope you're happy with it!

MummysGirl

:congrats: Looking forward to seeing your pictures :yep:

It's the 4th of January and we're one down already :lachen: I just took your name off the list on the OP.... I wonder how many of us will be left by the end of the year!

Please share pictures, can't wait to see them :grin:

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Congrats too you. Enjoy! I'm hanging in there for the long haul!

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
Ladies a tip. Just in case you don't already know about it. Roux porosity control condition is very helpful in getting out the extra transitioning detangles. What it does..It lowers the p.h. of the hair so that the cuticles of the hair lay very flat and the comb out is easier.

Raised cuticles equals more tangles because the hairs are rubbing against each other and causing knotting and tangling. The lower the p.h. of the hair the less chance for knots and tangles. The normal p.h. for hair should be between 4.5-5.5. I prefer the 4.5 range myself so I try to find shampoos and conditioners within that range.

HHG

MummysGirl

I :love: this product. It works best when I use it after deep conditioning... but I haven't use it in a while. I'll probably use it when I take out my pixie braids in 3 weeks (Just did them yesterday)...

Thanks DSD!

Ladies a tip. Just in case you don't already know about it. Roux porosity control condition is very helpful in getting out the extra transitioning detangles. What it does..It lowers the p.h. of the hair so that the cuticles of the hair lay very flat and the comb out is easier.

Raised cuticles equals more tangles because the hairs are rubbing against each other and causing knotting and tangling. The lower the p.h. of the hair the less chance for knots and tangles. The normal p.h. for hair should be between 4.5-5.5. I prefer the 4.5 range myself so I try to find shampoos and conditioners within that range.

HHG

LoveCraze

Naturalista

Congratulations on your BC!! Can't way to see some eye candy of your new natural!!!

MummysGirl

Just did these yesterday...:

I'll keep them in for 3 weeks, and take them out at a little over 13 months post. I might do a little trim at the end of February.

I'll cowash at least 2ce a week while they're in and DC 1-2ce a week. Moisturising and sealing 2ce daily (Morning and Night).

I'll try out more ways to style them to avoid getting bored. I usually wear them as seen in the pic or half up, half down. I sometimes dress it up with a nice colorful scarf.

Last edited:

ChristmasCarol

Just noticed I never posted starting pics/reg. Will be back later today after I do something to my hair and take pics.

dontspeakdefeat

Hair Coach
I'm getting ready to go back into a weave this weekend. I'll wear that for about 2 months if I can stand it. In addition to my supplements I'm thinking about adding OCT to my reggie again. It worked really well for me the past. Its awesome stuff!!

Trini_Chutney

Peeing in my shower

Congratulations!

ChristmasCarol

New growth shot before BKT application:

Last length check is in siggy.

Currently 8 months since last texlax. I plan to transition for 2 more years, but I won't start cutting away the relaxed ends until I reach MBL.

Last edited: