Coily haired ladies, I need your help!!!

Ms_Twana

Okay, two weeks ago I got my hair straightened. Today was my first time washing it since. And I know that according to Andre Walker, curly hair straightens while it's wet, well that must be COMPLETELY opposite for coily hair. When I wet my hair and start to feel through it, I felt coils EVERYWHERE!!! I am almost 5 months post, and I think I have about 2 inches of new growth. So, I felt a lot of coils. Anyway, when I tried to seperate a coil by putting my finger through it, it was pretty hard.

So my question to the coily haired ladies is...How is detangling with coily hair?? I wondered if it got hard for me once the new growth met the relaxed hair. And that could very well be the case. But I just want to get some feedback from you ladies on managing coily hair. When I put my fingers through my hair, it felt so good and makes me want to BC NOW!! :D I really want to know what my hair will look like when I can just do a wash n' go and without combing out the coils to detangle. But, I'm not sure what I'll be getting myself into. :lol:

Also, do any of you ladies have pictures of your coils?? Especially when you just do a wash 'n go. TIA ladies!!!

One of the reasons I finger detangle is that it keeps my coils more intact. Combing frizzes out my coils and actually results in more knots later, for me. I just experienced that recently and it's driving me nuts!! Whenever I seem to be getting more tangles than usual I think, "well, maybe I should just do one good detangling with the comb to get everything smoothed out, and then go back to finger detangling." It seemed to work well when my hair was shorter, but lately not so much. I was battling some comb-induced knots just last night :mad::mad:

ANYWAY.... Don't get scared, though :lol: Seriously, this hasn't been much of a problem until recently, I think due to the length I have now (midback). But it was fine before. I just felt through my hair and when I came across a tangle, I undid it with my hands--no combing. When you do it with your hands you can sort of re-form coils as you go if they got a little too separated and frizzy. I had a journal entry a few months ago about how I undo knots with my fingers. See here.
Apparently my hair is telling me I might need to do something differently now, but it worked well for me for over a year.
I'm sort of reconstructing my big album, but the bare bones version is in my siggy. I think there's a dry wash n go pic in there somewhere. HTH.

Giiiiiirl, u are in for an 'interesting' time to say the least :look: My hair straightens a little but no it doesn't get "straight" when I run water over it.

IMO I've realized that I have to detangle my coily hair frequently...at least every other day. My hair tangles easily and I've had sooo many issues with my ends but I've finally figured out a good routine to keep them together.

I've also found that 'less is more' when it comes to products & routines...the simpler the better. The minute stuff starts to build up I can tell because it takes longer to detangle.

But I love my hair! I wouldn't change the way it looks...it's wide (just like me..lol) but I can work with it. The pic in my ava. is a wash & go puff that I dried with a diffuser.

Happy transitioning :D

Wow!!! I absolutely LOVE both of your hair. Thanks for replying. Like I said, I am sooo ready to see my coils without the relaxed ends. I will wait until January at least.

I notice that both of you consider your hair to be 4a. Is that basically where coily hair falls?? Or can it fall under any category??

I find that my relaxed hair is a bit messy. Because of this, I have to lightly brush my hair with conditioner in it. It must be wet or else there will be trouble.:lol: My natural hair just had to be wet w conditioner and it could be finger combed with no problem.I have pics of my wash n gos in my transitioning challenge. My hair doesn't like transitioning, that's why I always BC quickly. It takes so long for the relaxed parts to dry and extra effort to hide the strait pieces. I hope I have I helped you. It seems to me that my hair doesn't feel softer wet, it just looks softer, more defined. My hubby rubs my head and says MMMM...bumpy!:lol:

DDtexlaxd said:
....It takes so long for the relaxed parts to dry...

It is very interesting that you say that. My friend is letting her relaxer grow out as well, but she's going to keep hers pressed. And when we went to get our hair done, her time under the dryer was so short. I did't think her hair was dry. When I said something to her, she said that it was dry, and maybe it was her not having a relaxer that made it dry faster. Then we I sat under the dryer, my new growth was dry waaay faster than my relaxed ends. I thought that was interesting. I wonder what takes relaxed hair longer to dry???

weird. my hair does straighten out a lot when wet. it's not until it starts drying that it begins to coil.
i don't find detangling that hard, but i do have to do it often because my hair tangles something horrible. but i can usually get away with finger combing for a while.

I have coily hair. My hair's coils elongate they're wet (well, 2/3 of my hair--other 1/3 looks exactly the same wet or dry). It's not that hard to detangle, depending on your length, FME. I started to detangle my hair is sections last month, after my hair became about 7-9". It takes me longer now to detangle, but it's not difficult at all. My hair IS easily tangled though--I can detangle in the morning, and the strands can start to tangle a bit by the end of the day--the root for the first inch are the straightest, and the least tangled--ends are most. I never use combs to detangle (use a Denman brush or my fingers)

I do wash and gos all the time--photos in album. The picture in my signature is based on wash and go hair.

Hey Cheleigh!! You were actually the person to break hair typing down for me and show me what coils were. Thanks for that.

Yeah, I think that coils became hard to detangle when it met with the relaxed hair. That's another reason I want to BC, NOW!!! :lol: So, does coily hair usually fall under type 4a hair??

Hey Ms Twana!

Detangling is much easier when your hair is completely natural. I hated detangling when I had relaxed ends attached to my natural new growth. It can be difficult because of the two different textures.

And BlackCardinal is right...combing out coily hair disturbs the coil pattern and it does make it frizzier. Lately, I've been wearing my hair coiled up and shrunken and I'm lovin' it. I have 7-8 inches of natural hair now. I have several pics of my hair in my fotki album which is in my signature.

Best wishes to you and your hair journey!
Poohbear

Hey Pooh. Girl, I've stalked your album SEVERAL times!!! :lol: Thanks for the tips. Basically everything that you ladies are saying is.....CHOP IT OFF!!! :lachen: I'm trying to hold off until January though. I don't want to regret my decision. I don't think I'll look to hot with a TWA. :perplexed

But thanks ladies. Keep 'em comin'!!!

My hair is crazy and tangles badly if I'm not careful.

I use a big NO NO in the hair health world, but it helps me to manage. I use a mineral oil laden Dominican product under a shower cap in the shower and then rinse it out under the running shower stream. My hair falls loose almost by itself. I'm careful to rinse thoroughly. I sometimes follow with an ACV rinse to remove residue, but that doesn't seem to need to be done always. Then I follow with Humectress as a leave in and oil to seal in moisture and prevent tangling again.

Back