Color rinse vs. Henna vs. Hair Dye. Help!

bluenude

I'm looking for some different hair coloring options for my natural 4a hair. So I'm wondering how do you lovely ladies get color?

Can someone please explain to me what a color rinse is and how I can get one/ do one myself? Are these products that I can buy or should I go to a salon? Is it as damaging as permanent hair dye?

Has anyone had any experiences with henna? I've heard that it takes a long time, is temporary and gets all over the bathtub...

I'm interested in hair color or highlights but have heard so many horror stories from hair dye (never done it before) that I really don't think I'm going to take this option no matter what. I'd still love some insight on it though.

Thanks so much!

Healthb4Length

I think that there are pros and cons of all the methods you've mentioned. For color (permanent) the pros are you get a nice permanent color that looks great and can provide shine. The cons are that your hair will be dry dry dry and you must moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! You must be more vigilant in your hair care efforts with PERMANENT COLOR. If your interested in something that's not too damaging you should try a DEMI permanent color which is stronger than a rinse but not as harsh as a permanent color. It lasts for about 24-28 shampoos and often contains low levels of ammonia or peroxide. These are good because you can play around with different colors and won't have severe drying or breakage. As with permanent color you still have to be vigilant about your hair care.

Semi permanent are good because they wash out in 8-12 washes, are non drying (most of the time) and won't interfere with your chemical process (relaxer). There is no commitment with this so once it fades then you can move on to other color options or not do it again.

Henna is a complex bag of tricks! I did Henna and it turned out okay for me. But some complain of dryness and it can make it difficult if you decide to go the permanent route, henna can interfere. Most henna on the market is not pure so they can alter your effects, I've heard that this site http://Mehandi.com offers some of the best quality henna.

bluenude

thanks so much! that really gives me a lot to think about. i had never heard of a semi-permanent dye before

LaNecia

Good Info Alli!!

Adding: True PURE henna will only deliver a reddish color to the hair. In order to achieve different hues, you'll need to mix different things with the henna (i.e. coffee, ground cloves, etc). It's a lot of work and can be hit or miss with the coloring but I think it's worth it.

For me, I'll never do another permanent color, too much damage to my hair.

BK Bombshell

I need to color my hair, and, after a disastrous attempt where I turned my hair almost white (I was lucky it didn't all fall out), I think I'm going to try henna. I bought a box at the BSS today. My hair is natural so I wanted to stay away from anything too harsh.